It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean Geoengineering Scheme May Prove Lethal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
news.discovery.com... estration-phytoplankton.html

ne proposed method to combat climate change is to dump iron in regions of the ocean where the growth of marine phytoplankton -- tiny organisms that grow via CO2-absorbing photosynthesis -- is limited by the amount of iron available. Adding iron is intended to cause a bloom of phytoplankton growth, sucking up CO2 in the process. But new findings, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, show that one type of phytoplankton that thrives under such circumstances makes domoic acid, a potent neurotoxin. This neurotoxin can move up the food chain as other animals eat the phytoplankton, harming sea life. The toxin can kill or weaken birds, fish, sea mammals or even humans who eat seafood that contains the toxin.

I've often wondered if humans do more harm to the environment by trying to "fix" things than we would if we just left stuff alone and allowed nature to run its course.

I understand that human actions greatly impact the environment, and the "fix" response is simply our way to try and minimize the damage, or even reverse the damage.

But isn't life about evolving? Adapting to fit the current mold? Are we creating artifical environments when we manipulate things this way, and if so...what are the eventual reprecussions?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I wish they would just leave mother nature alone. Who knows what the repercussions may be? It just isn't natural.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Leave it to the brain trusts to think they have to fix problems using their limited awareness and understanding. A perpetual spiral of egotism and ignorance. Bring back the hemp and oxygenate the world would probably be far more helpful.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

Seems like everytime I hear about managed wildlife, there's always an Oops statement. You know, we had a problem with these bugs, so we introduced this other bug from Japan that eats these bugs. Took care of that problem, but now we've got to find a way to get rid of the second bugs..... that sort of thing.

At what point do we stop?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is actually frustrating!

What is the use?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Nice find.
I think it's better off to leave things alone, in this case.

But, I guess if they filled the food chain with neurotoxins, we wouldn't have to worry about overfishing so much anymore!

S and F!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Something that is not addressed in the article is what will happen to all of the life in the surrounding waters once the enlarged population of phytoplankton decompose and use the available oxygen in the process?

It seems this idea may be even more lethal than stated. Just my speculation.

[edit on 16-3-2010 by Protostellar]

new topics

top topics

join