It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Do Anything Interesting With Frozen Bread Dough?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
i know it's cheating and normally, i kinda like to make real, homemade bread, but i think frozen bread dough is surprisingly good.

once you force yourself to abandon thoughts of artificial flavors and preservatives and submit, the smell is just as good ... and the taste, while not as perfect, is still terrific.

i understand people do all kinds of stuff starting with frozen bread dough, though, so i thought i'd see if anyone here has any interesting ideas.

i use it to make stromboli ... roll the thawed dough out, cover with a micro layer of any ol' tomato sauce, sprinkle with oregano and/or basil, then toss on some mozzarella and parmesan (and any other cheese you want), then place a few rows of layered pepperoni (or bacon or sausage) on it. roll it up, seal the ends and edge, brush it with egg white and, if desired, sprinkle with sesame and/or poppy seeds. da bomb.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Bread bowls! I make homemade cheddar and broccoli soup, pour it into those bread bowls and WOWZA that is good comfort food!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
never used it before.

i suppose you let it thaw out, then do you need to let it rise again?

I like pizza dough bread. makes really nice rolls.

500g strong flour
Some olive oil.
pinch of salt.
4oz(i think..) luke warm water with instant yeast.

nice soft rolls it makes.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
yeah, you kinda have to let it thaw. i just take a quick look at the directions on the package (usually for just making a regular loaf) and improvise. that's the thing about frozen bread dough ... i find it's pretty forgiving and open to improvisation.

once, i cranked the oven up and got it kinda hot, then turned it off. put the frozen loaf in there, closed the door and went and ran errands. came back several hours later and had one gigantic mass of bread dough (fortunately i had put it on a big pizza pan), a tiny, tiny bit cooked in places. i used it anyhow to make stromboli (rolled it out and put all the junk in it) and it worked perfectly. they rose like nothing's ever risen before, but i kinda like lots of air pockets in my bread anyhow.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
You can make mini bowls for appetizers and fill them with different things like chili, taco meat, and any fruit.

Also I make a desert where I roll them into strips deep fry them and cover them with nutmeg and cinnamon, and sugar, also if you roll them into strips, you can flatten the end and shape them like a spoon and add them with any stew or soup.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Hiya NRE: do you have a recipe for those cinnamon strips or does one just kinda have to make it work?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ok, I am going to reveal a weird habit of mine.

I actually like the bread dough, partially cooked. So it is still kinda squishy. Just eat it with butter.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Its really easy, I wait until its fully defrosted, then roll out the dough, and cut into strips, you either leave it like that or roll it with your hands. Now for oil, to fry you can use any kind but I find vegetable oil or peanut oil, the best.

Fry until golden brown and move to a drip pan, I dont use paper towels because them it sits in the grease. then make any mixture combo that you like. I like cinnamon ( fresh, they sell it now, it looks like a pepper mill), and nutmeg, with powdered sugar.

It is delicious, you can also keep them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks without it going bad. I make them in batches for my kids and their friends, they love it.

Also you can use the strips as bread sticks without the sugar, or fry it, melt some butter with fresh garlic cloves, basil, oregano, or just Italian seasoning, and mix it in the bowl, serve with either salad, or as croutons.

I have about a thousand things I do with it, I hope you enjoy.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Ok, I am going to reveal a weird habit of mine.

I actually like the bread dough, partially cooked. So it is still kinda squishy. Just eat it with butter.

But if I'm not mistaken, you also like squishy things like oysters and snails and puppy dogs tails too...

All I have ever used frozen bread dough for is bread and pizza, but a cinnamon stick sounds rather appealing, have to give that a try. (minus the slimey squishy things of course)

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

*laughs* oyersters are good darn it!

new topics

top topics

join