It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiji declares state of emergency as Cyclone Tomas hits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Fiji declares state of emergency as Cyclone Tomas hits

news.bbc.co.uk

A state of emergency has been declared in northern and eastern parts of Fiji, after Cyclone Tomas blasted through the Pacific island nation.

The National Disaster Council said troops would take food, water and other necessities to worst-hit areas.

At least 17,000 people fled to evacuation shelters as the storm passed. One death has been reported and communications to some islands are cut.

Cyclone Tomas, a category four storm, is expected to weaken as it moves away.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Heard this in the radio this morning and thought I´ll post it for you.

Not an earthquake this time. It seems that the quality and quantity of natural disasters continues to increase.

Allthough I am still unsure it simply seems to be increasing because of the media coverage. Natural disasters seem to be "in" this year.

Anyway, if you pray, pray for the people in Fiji. Ít doesn´t seem to be as bad as it could have been, but I heard of 7 meter waves (over 21 foot) and that can´t be good.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I found some videos made recently showing the storm.

Odd...can you see that on the sat? Two cyclones right together that seems so odd. Maybe it is normal over there I don't know, but it does seem odd to see two storms like that.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Two cyclones together isn't too normal but we have had upto 5 cyclones sitting together so it isn't too abnormal either, this is a hurricane prone area with a good number of hurricanes each year, and this is the hurricane season, so yeah to be expected.
Odd that you say "Not an earthquake this time." and an earthquake just occurred, it isn't being covered by news yet, don't know if it will have any effect, probably not. Mag 5.4 just hope it doesn't trigger a tsunami, it was in the ocean just off the islands. earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

join