It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banana beats anti-HIV drugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Its bad for business. Period.

its our responsibility to keep the economy going. Or else the whole world will fall apart.

[edit on 16-3-2010 by killyou]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Matey haven't bothered going thought the replies cus I’m tired just needed a quick fix before bed so if I’m repeating someone else reply I’m sorry but all I can add to this thread is that Indian scientists have been perplexed with the western fascination of spending millions if not billions synopsising plants that can be grown worldwide naturally or altered to grow in a non indigenous environments these are the only two I can be arsed to link but there are hundreds more:

Moringa Oleifera

and

Neem

These links are from western sites it's beleived in Asia they have many more uses.

You'll never cure Aids or Cancer but one day we'll have a treatment, there’s no money to be made in cures!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Whadda ya know, a bananna gets you IN this trouble and then a bananna gets you out of it.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
reply to post by scubagravy

what about the monkeys with aids that eats bananas all the time!>.................................................................

What about them? Have you seen them?

All monkeys that you see eating a Banana are all still alive -- that's got to be proof!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
That's great - MMS and MMS2 are also highly successful with more microbial problems. www.mmsanswers.com... MMS2 (Pool Shock) is easily obtained by anyone and highly effective against a host of illnesses.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

. . . has the ability to stop the transmission and prevention of HIV.

Stop the prevention? The fools!

On a more seriouse note, what's the deal with the total rejection of modern medicine by so many of you around here? If you just eat enough fruit and vegetables you can cure all diseases?

What do you think people were doing for the hundred thousand years before medical science, when their life expectancy was half of what it is in the developed world today? Do you all just refuse to acknowledge the obvious successes of approaching medicine scientifically? Complain about big pharma and all that, but in countries without modern medicine people aren't as healthy and they die younger, of diseases that we can cure.

A lot of medicines come from compounds found in nature, but it's totally unrealistic to think that the medical establishment does no good, and that you would be better off just eating a lot of salad and never taking medicine.

[edit on 3/16/10 by OnceReturned]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Why isn't this all over the news right now? This can't be for real. The problem is solved with something as simple as bananas....don't know what to think here.

Bananas are not simple. You are brainwashed into believing pharmaceutical drugs are so advanced, the apex of science, yet common fruits and vegetables are simple food sources.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

If this sarcasm award you speak of is in cash....I think ill buy some bananas!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
In a way, bananas have been helping to prevent the spread of HIV for years. Every kid in health class learns how to put a condom on using one as a prop...

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
It may help slow the spread of the disease. May. No proven. There are 10s of 1000s of studies every year with tags like "May cure cancer", "May allow a woman to grow a 3rd breast on her back for dancing". It's not relevant till clinical trials, 99% of these never make it to because the science isn't very sound. We'll see.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I like how this thread has turned from a potential, cure fo me HIV to a way to use bananas as a sexual accessory

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
GET THIS FOLKS HIV causes AIDS = FACT, I watch it happen ever day.
However it is heightened by malnutrition it is true.

Love the gibes about the Pharmaceutical companies, there will be an element of truth in all of them. I have at least second hand knowledge of bad practice by them.

My bet is that a cure for HIV will eventually be found and it will be something simple like Bananas.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here is the full text pdf of the study. For all ATS to read free of charge.

A Lectin Isolated from Bananas Is a Potent Inhibitor of HIV Replication

from THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY VOL. 285, NO. 12, pp. 8646–8655, March 19, 2010

It is hypothesized there is a potential for treatment of other types of viruses.

Because glycosylation is not specific to HIV-1, lectins have the potential to inhibit the replication of a broad spectrum of viruses.

Indeed, it has been shown that lectins can inhibit other enveloped viruses including Ebola (56, 57), Marburg (57), influenza (58), severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (59), and hepatitis C virus (60, 61).

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephanies-chase
reply to post by paradigm619

I was totally thinking that. What it boils down to (in a big pot of sh*t I might add) is that a cure for HIV is REALLY bad for business. Think of how much money they would lose. If a cure did come about it would probably be more expensive than the medications there are today, therefore the average joe wouldn't even be able to afford it. Come on people, we are all $ signs. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it is true.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if there already was a cure.

I am not sure of the truth of it, as I haven't looked into it myself. But, a friend of mine is HIV +, and he said the meds they have him take cost something like 10k a month. That sounds... extreme... to me. But with the way these companies work, I wouldn't be surprised. People are dying anyways, why not milk them for every last dime they have while we're at it? Might as well put their kids into debt for the rest of their lives as well.

Chrono

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

They are not dying anyway. Taking on an extreme intravenous nutritient therapy coupled with lots of vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics and so on could sure as hell "put aids into remission", or cure it in layman terms.

Once someone is labeled hiv positive, they cannot be un-labeled, even if they test negative later on, they are just told that it is in remission, bu the virus is hiding somewhere, and will eventually pop up again.

Disgusting.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by slitterpig
Theres no way anything natural can cure any disease or disorder.

WROOOONG!

What about Vitamin C, found naturally in all citrus fruits curing scurvy?

That's the only one that I can think of right at the moment, but I'm sure with a little digging around you could find many more.

True, modern medicine is a great thing, but you cannot come out with sweeping statements like the one above and not expect to be called out on it.

[edit to add]
Sorry missed the sarcasm in that one

[edit on 17-3-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

"Time to gather your arse up off the floor,
(have a bana-na)
Brush your teeth and go toddling off to war.
Wave your hand to sleepy land,
Kiss those dreams away,
Tell Miss Grable you're not able,
Not till V-E Day, oh,
Ev'rything'll be grand in Civvie Street
(have a bana-na)
Bubbly wine and girls wiv lips so sweet--
But there's still the German or two to fight,
So show us a smile that's shiny bright,
And then, as we may have suggested once before--
Gather yer blooming arse up off the floor!" 8-9

source GR Pynchon (sorry)

[edit on 17-3-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Watch this. A documentary coming out about the existence of HIV that in fact it may not exist at all

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly_U

Thanks for posting that. That film is the basis of the thread mentioned in the OP. The link appears to be broken, so here it is again: HIV cure = good nutrition?! (Video)

reply to post by

Many thanks for linking to a pdf of the actual study. Nice going.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Sorry friend to be a downer here, but plant lectins are a problem for the gut.
Bananas have a low enough proportion of them to be safe for eating, but there's no way you could get enough lectin from eating bananas to cure AIDs.

Nor could you safely take a concentrated lectin extract orally.

However the research may be useful in leading to an anti-viral cream to use as a lubricant.

Antinutritional properties of plant lectins

Abstract

Lectins are carbohydrate binding (glyco)proteins which are ubiquitous in nature. In plants, they are distributed in various families and hence ingested daily in appreciable amounts by both humans and animals. One of the most nutritionally important features of plant lectins is their ability to survive digestion by the gastrointestinal tract of consumers. This allows the lectins to bind to membrane glycosyl groups of the cells lining the digestive tract. As a result of this interaction a series of harmful local and systemic reactions are triggered placing this class of molecules as antinutritive and/or toxic substances. Locally, they can affect the turnover and loss of gut epithelial cells, damage the luminal membranes of the epithelium, interfere with nutrient digestion and absorption, stimulate shifts in the bacterial flora and modulate the immune state of the digestive tract. Systemically, they can disrupt lipid, carbohydrate and protein metabolism, promote enlargement and/or atrophy of key internal organs and tissues and alter the hormonal and immunological status. At high intakes, lectins can seriously threaten the growth and health of consuming animals.

Of course the consumption of bananas as an alternative to sex does provide 100% protection against all STDs.

- and during my married years I learned that eating a banana can be more fun, too. . . . as was reading a cereal box, swallowing cod-liver oil or bathing the cat.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join