It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banana beats anti-HIV drugs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ::.mika.::

Wow. Honestly sir, I can barely read that post. Could you please clean it up a little bit?

now i have also some statistics for you: all the people found hiv+, but leading a sane and healthy life AND refusing the treatment become again hiv- in less than 3 years. it's very few of them unfortunately for obvious reasons.

Is that what passes for statistics in the "insane conspiracy theory" world? Where are the numbers? When you say "all the people," how many people are you talking about? How large was the sample pool? What was the margin of error in the tests that your "statistics" quote?

Oh, that's right! Those aren't statistics, so none of that stuff exists. Those are the insane ramblings of somebody on the Internet.

I can understand you work for the pharmacorp as you seem to give credit to this psychopath that is gallo

Ahh... so because I believe thousands and thousands of trained medical professionals with decades of experience in the fight against HIV over some loon on the Internet with quotes from other loons on the Internet, I get accused of being some sort of insider working for "pharmacorp." Ironically enough, that's the typical response of most paranoid crazy people.

i was more addressing to people that discover this very real lie.

So... you're furthering the delusional beliefs of sick and dying people who are in denial of the fact that they are sick and dying. Your goal is what? To get them to stop taking medicine that can prolong their lives and improve their quality of living? Why? Because you think that everyone with any real credibility in the medical community is part of some vast conspiracy?! Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Mother nature does it again!!

I believe that there are natural cures for all ailments and diseases.
I also believe that the Pharma corporations know this,and will stop and nothing to prevent us from realizing the fact.

If that means getting the entire world hooked on garbage chemical pills,thus diverting their gaze from true cures,then all the better for the profits.

Go Bannanas!!!

(insert BTS dancing bananna here)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This sh*t is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Seriously though, I've always suspected that cures for all of these major diseases such as cancer and AIDS probably have extremely cheap and readily-accessible cures. It's simply that the greedy pharmaceutical industry doesn't want us to know.

Great find, but don't expect this to be on CNN anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

typical disinfo methodology,
sorry no time to lose in absurd discussion drowning down the real question

But when I turned the page, I was riveted. Gallo had deleted a statement by Popovic saying: 'Despite intensive research efforts, the causative agent of AIDS has not yet been identified.'
and we are talking here about the paper that was the foundation of hiv-aids "correlation",

another hideous myth

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
reply to post by scubagravy

what about the monkeys with aids that eats bananas all the time!>.................................................................

SIV, or Simeon Immunodeficiency Virus does not equal AIDs. For some reason it isn't a fatal disease in monkeys. Maybe the banana is the reason? Maybe that was the clue they followed to find out that banana pectin is effective?

"And even though she produces poison, so still does she provide the antidote." Some of you will remember that!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Theres no way anything natural can cure any disease or disorder.

Your only hope for help is the Pharmaceutical companies, and allopathic medicine. If you think otherwise, you are insane or a moonbat...and should be hospitalized, and or medicated.

Always trust the scientists and doctors that are paid by the Pharmaceutical companies to help you. Pharmaceutical companies fund the books that doctors, and scientists learn from. They also donate huge sums of money to the large medical schools. They know how to help you and would never hide cures.

Eugenics is not an issue, never look into that...it doesn't exist.

Ignore this thread, nothing to see here.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I'm going to say "needs interdisciplinary review; data does not hold up."

Originally posted by pause4thought
BanLec, "a jacalin-related lectin isolated from the fruit of bananas... is an effective anti-HIV lectin and is similar in potency to T-20 and maraviroc, two anti-HIV drugs currently in clinical use."

I would believe that in a laboratory setting, that this is true. I think that drugs could/should be developed from this. But "eat a banana a day will prevent/cure AIDS"? No.

Here's the banana imports and exports statistics:
www.bananalink.org.uk...

If eating bananas were the prevention, then South America and Africa (where the banana and plantain are used in many many delicious recipes) would be almost AIDS free. This isn't the case:
www.wrongdiagnosis.com...

The stats don't support his idea.

If you ate 5 pounds of bananas a day, you might get enough of the lectin to do some good -- as long as you substituted eating bananas for sex. But as a "send bananas to poor countries with a high rate of AIDS (where many of them already have bananas as part of their daily diet)" isn't going to prevent the disease from continuing to spread. Encouraging men to use condoms will ... something that men seem reluctant to do.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

It's clearly early days, and all credit to you for casting a critical eye over the article.

However the claims are fairly measured:

According to University of Michigan Health System, the "authors say even modest success could save millions of lives. Other investigators have estimated that 20 percent coverage with a microbicide that is only 60 percent effective against HIV may prevent up to 2.5 million HIV infections in three years."

Import figures obviously wouldn't equate to some kind of recommended daily "dosage", though. So it would be premature to use import stats to deny the potential efficacy of bananas.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

But what about the "lubricant" suggestion? Hmmm. LOL!

You never know, and I think I would prefer Banana flavor over "anti-bacterial" or bleach flavor!

Lysol claims to kill viruses, but it just evaporates too fast!

Bananas are constantly voted as the "sexiest" fruit. So keeping a bowl full by the bed sounds pretty good to me. And you will have an after-exercise, high energy snack to get ready for round two!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

So maybe bananas and less "swinger sex" will make HIV be a "symbiotic" virus for humans as it is for other primates....

www.pbs.org...

I once said, when I wrote my book a number of years ago about my adventures [Virus Hunters of the CDC], that "In the world of viruses [that] we are the invaders." What I meant by that is often our practices, our behaviors get into the niches where viruses live and cause them to then infect us because of our practices. HIV is a wonderful example of this, because these viruses clearly had a good symbiosis with, or at least a reasonable one with, nonhuman primates. But human practice, [the] one that killed the primates and ate them, probably is the very likely the source of the virus in humans. Then when humans changed their behavior to create the conditions for the virus to expand its space, then that allowed the epidemic to occur.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
sounds pretty cool.

Maybe we can genetically modify the bananas into creating some new breeds. And then those bananas will be almost effective enough for AIDS patients to not need as many pharmaceutical drugs as before.

But we can't be sure from the start. So its best to test the genetically modified breeds of banana trees in Asian or African lands. Or maybe on other planets once we can colonize them. Its a good thing that airport authorities/customs in many Asian, African, Middle-Eastern & East-European countries don't have strong restrictions against bringing foreign plants, fruits, seeds, & pollen/germs from elsewhere into their countries. We don't even need big government contracts like the ones that sometimes result in farmers getting too lazy to keep growing the genetically modified crops, blaming it on the environment, refusing to adequately nurture the crops they're paid to experiment with, going on hunger strikes, or committing suicide due to religious beliefs, cultural superstitions, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by slitterpig
Theres no way anything natural can cure any disease or disorder.

Your only hope for help is the Pharmaceutical companies, and allopathic medicine. If you think otherwise, you are insane or a moonbat...and should be hospitalized, and or medicated.

Always trust the scientists and doctors that are paid by the Pharmaceutical companies to help you. Pharmaceutical companies fund the books that doctors, and scientists learn from. They also donate huge sums of money to the large medical schools. They know how to help you and would never hide cures.

Hahahahahaha!!

Very nicely put; you get the sarcasm award of the year.

Tell us, what will you do with the prize?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Fact or fiction, big deal. There are plenty of other sexual transmitted diseases that can take your life.

Big step for HIV prevention if true, but this would've been bigger news in the 80's.

Sorry, but this means Nothing to me.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by above

No. You can't just "get" AIDS from having a poor nutrition. You have to contract HIV, which certainly causes AIDS. Everyone who has AIDS has the HIV virus. Everyone who contracts the HIV virus gets AIDS. AIDS is a syndrome caused by HIV. HIV is a virus that causes AIDS. There is no other way. You get HIV from infected blood-on-blood (transfusions) or sexual intercourses. That's it. Poor nutrition doesn't cause AIDS, but it does cause other problems.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by paradigm619

I was totally thinking that. What it boils down to (in a big pot of sh*t I might add) is that a cure for HIV is REALLY bad for business. Think of how much money they would lose. If a cure did come about it would probably be more expensive than the medications there are today, therefore the average joe wouldn't even be able to afford it. Come on people, we are all $ signs. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it is true.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if there already was a cure.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I forgot to add that the people who think you can get HIV from bad nutrition than the majority of The United States would have it. That is just ridiculous!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

welll.... banana's are cheap to get........same medicine in fharma industry's are very expencive.....
booming profit to me it seems...no wonder they will keep it quiet...selling bananas for hundruds of dollars...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
reply to post by scubagravy

what about the monkeys with aids that eats bananas all the time!>.................................................................

loll you diddend know for now that monkeeys faforit food is meat?????\

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

your dancing banana just cured my bad mood so thanks for that! On topic, I wonder if bananas really are the miracle, do you think they wouldn't be as available as they are now?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I doesnt say that bananas can be used directly to prevent HIV infection, only that a compound in found in the skin can potentially be used in such a way.

Big Pharma is safe. They still have to make the cream that contains high amounts of the compound. I didnt see anything in the article that suggested mashing up banana skins and applying it directly would suffice.

So dont go substituting bananas for more traditional protections just yet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join