It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banana beats anti-HIV drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Banana beats anti-HIV drugs

www.independent.co.uk

On March 19, a new study to be published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, scientific journal, concluded that banana lectins, a naturally occurring chemical, has the ability to stop the transmission and prevention of HIV.

BanLec, "a jacalin-related lectin isolated from the fruit of bananas... is an effective anti-HIV lectin and is similar in potency to T-20 and maraviroc, two anti-HIV drugs currently in clinical use."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
HIV cure = good nutrition?! (Video)

Mod Edit - To Fix Link.

[edit on Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:00:10 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This isn't a joke. The lead author of the study is Michael D. Swanson, a doctoral student in the graduate program in immunology at the University of Michigan Medical School.

The article hints at the possibility widespread distribution of bananas in affected countries could prevent millions of HIV infections. So what next? -Monsanto/SGK to patent the banana?

(See related thread for evidence nutrition can have a huge impact on the health of those diagnosed with HIV.)

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Why isn't this all over the news right now? This can't be for real. The problem is solved with something as simple as bananas....don't know what to think here.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Unusual find!

Could one perhaps mash it up and use it as a lubricant ?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

what about the monkeys with aids that eats bananas all the time!>.................................................................

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz

what about the monkeys with aids that eats bananas all the time!>.................................................................

What about them? Have you seen them?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
[edit on 16/3/2010 by scubagravy]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
If this is real it will save so many lives in Africa and other poorer countries! I hope this isn't a joke... The last thing this world needs is false hope!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

i was just stating a fact. they should really prove something really works before putting it in the media.

millions of lives all over the world are probably excited about the news just to be fobbed off with a scientific theory

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Unusual find!

Could one perhaps mash it up and use it as a lubricant ?

Maybe... depends on how experimental you are I guess! Perhaps you can use the banana skin as a condom... The idea being that sex for the male would be so uninspiring that it would probably put you off sex for quite some time.

IRM

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
O/k, so someone has aids, they get a banana, they bend over, then what ?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Does it matter what type of banana it is? The seed bananas or the nonseed clone ones more popular among westerners?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
great news, for the banana (eat banana it's good for you)

as to make a cure for hiv we would first need to know what's hiv...

the fact being there aren't indeed any scientific evidence that HIV kills Tcells.

It is assumed although the killing phenomenon has never been observed in laboratory conditions; It is actually all the opposite that has been observed : hiv lives within the tcell for some time then disappear..

Gallo the "father" of HIV-aids theory is in fact more of a businessman than a man of science.

But when I turned the page, I was riveted. Gallo had deleted a statement by Popovic saying: 'Despite intensive research efforts, the causative agent of AIDS has not yet been identified.'

(images in book - scanned copies of the words as typed by Popovic and changed by Gallo)

This was totally unexpected. Nothing I read had led me to expect this. No one had mentioned these deleted words. Not Crewdson, not any of the investigators, no history of AIDS science. No one had reported these words, let alone their deletion by Gallo.

The evidence that HIV kills T-Cells Popovic's paper calls HTLV-3 a 'cytopathic' retrovirus; that is, one that causes degeneration or disease in cells. But when I searched for any evidence in his paper to support this, I could only find the observation that AIDS patients typically have low numbers of ‘Helper' (DC4) T-Cells - with the implied inference that this was because the AIDS virus had killed them. It is widely known in science that many factors can diminish the numbers of these cells - such as chronic drug addiction, severe malnutrition and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Sometimes even healthy people have low numbers. As I have noted, in 2001 Nature reported that it still was not known how HIV could kill T-cells.

In 2006 a paper by Benigno Rodriquez reported that HIV can't be killing more than 4% to 6% of the CD4 cells lost in AIDS cases - in other words not enough by itself to cause AIDS.

Popovic noted in his paper that there was a CD4-CD8 ‘reverse ratio', before Gallo deleted it. Popovic meant by this that when Helper CD4 T-Cells cells fall in number, the population of Killer CD8 T-cells goes up commensurately, and vice versa. We now know our immune system can change CD4s into CD8s as needed. It needs only a very small surface change to them. This too might explain why sometimes there are fewer CD4 cells.

It may simply be that we need more CD8s. In some frustration I have since searched for earlier papers in which Gallo or Popovic might have proved LAV, renamed as HTLV-3, able to kill or as cytopathic - but there are none, utterly none. The Institut Pasteur likewise seems not to have proved this. Neither had Popovic or Gallo proved their own virus, HTLV3, able to kill T-Cells.

www.fearoftheinvisible.com...

Because it's so insane, if there are any serious paper proving HIV-aids connection please inform (don't use the correlation factor it doesn't work).

If not inform yourself on the matter.
to get back to and finish with the banana, it is indeed a magical fruit

* because of the very unusual way it grows, defying evolution

* because of the way it comes to you: no need packaging, no need washing

* because of its perfect for human cocktails of vitamins, defying probabilities (www.eggfruit.com...)

Banana a present from some ET ?

(along with hemp -also strange properties this one- we could make a real nice society and have everything we need without spoiling environment) , but yeah we're programmed for fear and war not harmony, isn't that right "Pr" gallo ?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

There is no doubt that TPTB is hatching some plan to say that banana's have some new kind of virus then ban them for rediculous reasons so eat those banana's while you can people!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature
If this is real it will save so many lives in Africa and other poorer countries! I hope this isn't a joke... The last thing this world needs is false hope!

Firstly, Africa is a continent, not a country.

It would be wise, especially as a South African, to take any remedy/ cure/ prevention of HIV/AIDS with a pinch of salt when it has something to do with fruit or vegetables. Since a former minister of health, Manto Tshabalala-Msimang, provided remedies such as beetroot and raw garlic for the disease it is best to be wary of any cure/ prevention that seems too good to be true.

I'd say be safe, get tested and use anti-retrovirals if you are infected.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
wow i can't help but think of the south park episode where the scientists figured out how to stop people from getting pissed off when they had too much pee in their system (yes i said pee). They would roll out monkeys strapped to a board and pee on them and the only way to keep the monkeys happy while peeing on them was to give them bananas. Sounds like a metaphor!

I hope this is true but who knows, that would be awesome!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Wasn't AIDs transmitted from a primate to a human?

Don't primates eat fruits, including bananas?

How many bananas would one need to eat to eliminate chances of infection after being exposed?

Interesting to say the least.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Why do people buy the hiv/aids theory since the alleged virus has not been properly isolated, not even once.

I agree some people are dying from immuno deficiency syndrome, but the reason for this syndrome is not known. Something causes the immunosystem to slowly shut off.

The banana is full of really healthy compounds, so there is no surprise the banana lectin is also such a compound.

It just so happens that aids is now found to be cured by taking a nutrient-full fruit and that it has been claimed for a long time, that poor nutrition is the cause of aids...

[edit on 3/16/2010 by above]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Good freakin' lord, there's conspiracy theories and then there's tinfoil hat whackjobbery.

Listen. If you take a rock and let go of it, it falls to the ground. Try it, it works every single time. Even if you throw it into the air with all of your human strength, it still eventually turns around and falls to the ground. Every. Single. Time.

This happens because of gravity. We've never seen gravity before. We don't know for sure what gravity is made of. We don't even know what causes it. What we DO know is that the more mass something has, the more gravity it has. We know because of correlation that gravity exists. We know because of correlation that F=G([m1*m2]/D^2). That's right, correlation alone is so constant that it shows us a specific formula to calculate the force of gravity.

Despite what another poster incredibly stated, correlation is a valid argument to show that HIV is the cause of AIDS. People who get HIV get AIDS. People with AIDS have HIV.

Oh, and check-a-check-a-check it out!

Techniques such as polymerase chain reaction (PCR) have enabled scientists to demonstrate that a much larger proportion of CD4+ T cells are infected than previously realized, particularly in lymphoid tissues. Robert Gallo, a preeminent HIV virologist, suggests that as many as 3% of CD4+ T cells show signs of HIV invasion.[citation needed] Macrophages and other cell types are also infected with HIV and serve as reservoirs for the virus.

Although the fraction of CD4+ T cells that is infected with HIV at any given time is never high (only a small subset of activated cells serve as ideal targets of infection), several groups have shown that rapid cycles of death of infected cells and infection of new target cells occur throughout the course of disease.[35]

Furthermore, like other viruses, HIV is able to suppress the immune system by secreting proteins that interfere with it. For example, HIV's coat protein, gp120, sheds from viral particles and binds to the CD4 receptors of otherwise healthy T cells; this interferes with the normal function of these signalling receptors. Another HIV protein, Tat, has been demonstrated to suppress T cell activity. This behavior is not significantly different in quality from, say, the influenza viruses, which are well-known to secrete immunosuppressive proteins which can slow down the antiviral immune response.

Infected lymphocytes express the Fas ligand, a cell-surface protein that triggers the death of neighboring uninfected T cells expressing the Fas receptor.[36] This "bystander killing" effect shows that great harm can be caused to the immune system even with a limited number of infected cells.

Wikipedia

Actual science and REAL DOCTORS kind of shoot your "HIV doesn't cause AIDS" bullcrap right out of the water. Theories like that are dangerous and can get naive people killed, and it's ignorance and misinformation that allow HIV/AIDS to reach pandemic levels in countries where education and scientific knowledge on the subject are low.

Now... is there a chemical in bananas that has antiviral properties which can fight HIV? Possibly, but time will tell if this study is correct - note that it won't be published in a peer reviewed journal until later this month. Only once the studies have been reproduced and verified can we say for certain that bananas can suppress HIV.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

not as dangerous as the medicines they give you once they find you hiv+

ok i explain to you how you get tricked :

all people with immuno defficiency are not declared to have aids if they are not found to be hiv+.

they are declared to have the disease they have.

if hiv is found they are declared to have aids.

then people found hiv+ before they get serious disease are being given the famous treatment; and guess what are the reknown accpeted side effects of those treatments ? yes immuno defficiency, they totally # up your immune system.

that's how they build up the correlation. you need some kind of intellect to understand that and also look at who is manufacturing the test, the treatments.

also you could wonder why the test are different from one country to another...

now i have also some statistics for you: all the people found hiv+, but leading a sane and healthy life AND refusing the treatment become again hiv- in less than 3 years. it's very few of them unfortunately for obvious reasons.

I can understand you work for the pharmacorp as you seem to give credit to this psychopath that is gallo; i was more addressing to people that discover this very real lie.

this is as important as the 911 issue

edit
btw

Robert Gallo, a preeminent HIV virologist, suggests

"suggests"... hmmmm, what a nice piece of scientific evidence from our great businessman you found for us (maybe you should have read my external quote before adding this useless blahblahblah)

[edit on 16-3-2010 by ::.mika.::]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join