It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Black Holes Bound by Gravity,Chandra X-Ray Observatory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Two supermassive black holes in the Abell 400 Galaxy cluster have been imaged by the Chandra X-Ray Observatory.
The image shows the binary black holes are bound together at a distance of about 25,000 light years.

The peculiar dumbbell structure of this galaxy is thought to be due to two large galaxies that are in the process of merging. Such mergers are common in the relatively congested environment of galaxy clusters. An alternative hypothesis is that the apparent structure is the result of a coincidence in time when the two galaxies are passing one another, like ships in the cosmic sea.

And with Computer simulations predicting that these Black Holes will merge the scientists think that....

These gravitational waves would spread through the Universe and produce ripples in the fabric of space, which would appear as minute changes in the distance between any two points. Sensitive gravitational wave detectors scheduled to be operational in the next decade could detect one of these events, which are estimated to occur several times each year in the observable Universe.

WOW , that's big , Space is an incredible place .
chandra.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Cool!

Its like one of those hyperthetical questions. What would happen if two black holes collide? Except we've got front row seats this time. The move i learn about space the more insignificant i feel.

Its all good though. lol

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thanks and cool find. I cannot wait till we understand the idea of black holes much further. I think it will lead to a new way to look at the universe and will help us understand everything better.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Pred...

new topics

join