It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Proverbial Good UFO Video - How to/How not to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is just an enquiry to see if anyone would be interested in a 'techniques' guide on:

1. How to video/photograph a UFO. Properly.

2. How not to.. In other words a list of all the tell-tale signs that you are being shown garbage - eg optical effects/defects, CGI, lack of supporting info, etc.

Of course, many sightings will only afford a brief opportunity to capture the object, and it is not possible to ensure that everyone has a capable camera and a tripod. But many of the techniques can be applied to even the most basic equipment.

And I also don't believe for a moment that anyone can stop or even slow down the flood of scams and hoaxes, but surely providing more information can't hurt. And to be frank, it does seem to me that some folks here could benefit from having a checklist that they can read through, to apply to each new sighting. If it ticks a lot of the 'uhoh' boxes, then maybe they might avoid falling for another one... For me, the biggest problem with attempting to research ufo sightings is the amount of absolute tripe that is posted. There may be a gem or two amongst it, but who would know..

So - has this been done before? I saw the stickies and a few others:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
but not a lot that focuses on the techniques rather than the equipment.
And are enough folks interested? I'm not going to bother if you think it's been done adequately, or there isn't sufficient interest.

Cheers.

PS - I don't claim to be the expert here, but I would be happy to get the ball rolling in a very significant way, accept all contributions/corrections, and create a summarised 'report'.

PPS - To eager helpers (if any) can I ask you to hold back on contributions until it is decided if, and how best to proceed? Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't know if it needs a whole guide but thats only because I only see a few simple common sense rules as a necessary way to improve a good percentage of what people upload. But perhaps a well thought out and written explanation of the problems behind bad technique, rather than the technique itself would go down well and create a longer lasting effect. It'd certainly be a good read.

Emotions run high during a sighting and experience of the camera definitely play a part. But these days anyone that owns a solid video camera undoubtedly has some basic experience.

I'm not "contributing" but I'm listing the following because I don't really understand what further technique you can assume to apply to a sighting video. It doesn't take much to make a pretty intriguing UFO video, at least for me. Are you not entertained by the videos enough themselves perhaps?

1. Establish the area by zooming out & back in during the sighting
2. Capture as much as possible, and do not expect any credibility if your video ends with the object still perfectly visible in the last frame. The only chance of credibility you'll get is if it's obviously captured on a mobile phone
3. Don't # yer pants

There's only one other option really. If all else fails, zoom out completely and film the region of sky. Forget the camera, watch whatever is going on with your eyes - enjoy the experience and forget bringing it to the masses. In the heat of it a good DV or HD cam is likely to pick up anything bright even when zoomed out completely. You'll never get a good indication through an LCD screen or viewfinder.

A guide on determining CGI hoaxes or just great hoaxes without CGI will always be more of a test than just working out if there's a few added pixels around the object. I think this identification can be quite personal, not everyone can make it. Not even I can make it all the time. Maybe you're right then - there should be a dummies guide on this

So, I'd like to know what "techniques" you consider expanding on top of those. Don't add the X-Files music?

Oh, for the record. You may have noticed yourself but it's not all dumbing down. I've been watching UFO videos daily since early 2008, and I've noticed a lot of them getting better, and by first time uploaders too. A lot of people are starting to remember to show establishing shots during the video. And a lot of people are making sure their videos are full length, or at least, until the object has dissapeared. There have also been more instances over time of people forgetting about the camera in the excitement but it still picking up decent footage. And in recent months more people are actually investigating and capturing sightings from multiple areas.

I don't understand why smokingUFOsPA never moves around when there seems to be endless activity and often objects in the same areas for 5 minutes at a time. I'd certainly rather watch one decent attempt at investigation that last 10 seconds than an hour worth of not attempting to investigate but just observe. But I think telling people they should be investigating is asking a bit too much...

[edit on 15-3-2010 by markymint]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Also don't forget to carefully allow your thumb to cover up 1/4 of the lense, ensuring a proper display of human/alien interaction. Follow this by occasionally pointing the camera at your feet and then randomly skew the focus.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by markymint
I don't know if it needs a whole guide but thats only because I only see a few simple common sense rules as a necessary way to improve a good percentage of what people upload. But perhaps a well thought out and written explanation of the problems behind bad technique, rather than the technique itself would go down well and create a longer lasting effect. It'd certainly be a good read.

I guess I'd just like to see a nice summary of all the tips and techniques in one place. It all seems a bit scattered at the moment. Plus I really think it would be good to have a "credibility checklist" to apply to videos...

I'm not "contributing" but I'm listing the following because I don't really understand what further technique you can assume to apply to a sighting video...
1. Establish the area by zooming out & back in during the sighting
2. Capture as much as possible, and do not expect any credibility if your video ends with the object still perfectly visible in the last frame. The only chance of credibility you'll get is if it's obviously captured on a mobile phone
3. Don't sh...
There's only one other option really. If all else fails, zoom out completely and film the region of sky...

Yep, that's exactly the sort of stuff.. The stopping before the object either lands or vanishes is one of my favorites...! But there's plenty more, eg:
- lean on something to steady yourself
- film some known objects at the same settings - eg some distant street lights
- know how to recognise (and avoid) filming 'bokeh'..
Then there's the stuff about documenting the event - when, where were you, facing what direction? Can you return and film the same area in daylight? And so on.

Oh, for the record. You may have noticed yourself but it's not all dumbing down. I've been watching UFO videos daily since early 2008, and I've noticed a lot of them getting better...

Hmm. I'm not really seeing it. I am pleased to note that at last, people are starting to realise that lens flares are very real and very common. But the education process has a long way to go, imo. Filming bokeh shapes seems to be a popular pastime still, as does attributing impossible movements to the 'craft' when it is just camera motion..

The CGI business is almost impossible to deal with, given what is now affordable. If you know what you are doing, it is pretty easy nowadays to create very plausible fakes, at least at Youtubish resolutions. However, it's the surrounding information (or lack of it), along with simple story-logic errors - eg the craft appears in the video - how did the operator know it was going to appear there? - that usually give the game away.

Anyhow, even tho there doesn't seem that much interest, I'll probably go ahead and do it. I'll see what I can cobble together in the next week or so.

Further comments are still welcome of course!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I looked through the stickies for something like this and I didn't find what I was looking for stickied, but I think someone wrote a good thread about this already (maybe around August 2009?) that never got stickied. I searched for it a little bit but haven't found it yet. I noticed Google doesn't work like it used to, it used to be fantastic at finding things on domains like ATS but they've added some filters or something and it won't find old threads like it once did.

One of the questions that comes up once in a while is, if someone is thinking about buying a still or vidcam they want to know what kind is good for filming UFOs. Seems to me like it's more important to turn the damn autofocus off (some cameras don't even have that ability) and set it at infinity, for UFO photography, and get a tripod, even if it's just small portable one that can fit in your camera bag.

There were suggestions just like that in the thread I'm thinking about and many more as I recall.

Oh yeah and checking with a skymap program like Stellarium to make sure you're not posting video of Venus or some other planet was in there too I think. If I can find it I'll post the link here so we can review it and see if it's good enough to sticky or if we need a better, new one to sticky.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I looked through the stickies for something like this and I didn't find what I was looking for stickied, but I think someone wrote a good thread about this already (maybe around August 2009?) that never got stickied. I searched for it a little bit but haven't found it yet. I noticed Google doesn't work like it used to, it used to be fantastic at finding things on domains like ATS but they've added some filters or something and it won't find old threads like it once did.

One of the questions that comes up once in a while is, if someone is thinking about buying a still or vidcam they want to know what kind is good for filming UFOs. Seems to me like it's more important to turn the damn autofocus off (some cameras don't even have that ability) and set it at infinity, for UFO photography, and get a tripod, even if it's just small portable one that can fit in your camera bag.

There were suggestions just like that in the thread I'm thinking about and many more as I recall.

Oh yeah and checking with a skymap program like Stellarium to make sure you're not posting video of Venus or some other planet was in there too I think. If I can find it I'll post the link here so we can review it and see if it's good enough to sticky or if we need a better, new one to sticky.

Yes, I had the same problem. Most of the information is 'around', but scattered. If you find that link, I'd love to see it.

Anyway, what I might do is create a draft version on this thread, batter it around for a while and massage it into shape, then finally post it as new item..

I've got the feeling it might be in three parts, namely a Tips and Techniques Guide, a Video Credibility Checklist, and perhaps a How to Choose a Good Camera for this Sort of Thing Guide.

(For want of better titles, clearly!)

Thanks for the interest, - I'd be very pleased to get your critique/input at a later point, Arbitrageur. I'll come back to this later, may take a week or so to find time to collate my thoughts and plagiarise stuff...

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Another thing to mention...

In addition to the photography/videography itself, it is JUST as important, perhaps even moreso, to DOCUMENT the details, as soon after the event as you can.

Things like:
1. Time of sighting.
2. Direction of travel.
3. Duration of sighting.
4. Colors, shapes, brightness.
5. Estimate size (hold a penny at arm's length, for example, and compare).
6. Note any sounds.
7. Did it go behind anything, or was anything visible behind it (like did it block out stars, etc.)

etc., etc.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I just gave you your 1st flag!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Also I'd like to know how much you'd pay for a decent HD cam - because it would be a great way to capture images of UFOs

great thread S&F

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Capturing the image on film is always a plus. Film produces a negative that can be examined. Digital media are always suspect.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Capturing the image on film is always a plus. Film produces a negative that can be examined. Digital media are always suspect.

Great point.

Now i was going to bring up Billy Meier and his photography...

Can you tell if his images are real or not because I'm pretty sure digital video camera boxes were not available then!?

but the Swiss did build the watch eh! Who knows...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
1. Without a full 'chain of evidence' investigation, there is no way to prove any image is not falsified. And even after that, in most cases there will not be sufficient data to unequivocally prove it.

But like DJW said, having a negative or transparency helps a LOT. It's sad that it costs so much to use film.

2. You want a recommendation for an HD camera???? Gee, perhaps *you* should do a little homework about what it is you plan to do with it, and the images you capture.. That might make quite a difference to a recommendation. For now, given what you have told us so far, I'd suggest that the worst phone-cam would be ample to exceed your needs.

To be slightly serious, you could start here:
www.usa.canon.com...
for a decent camera, good lens, and decent sensor. HOWEVER, I would recommend jumping up a few steps to one with more manual control - especially MANUAL FOCUS which I regard as essential for anything used at night or on distant small objects.

If you do nothing else, stick to well known brands.. or suffer the consequences of poor quality, noisy sensors, mediocre lenses and bad autofocus.. If it was me, I'd buy a DSLR with HD, but that's another story and might be a little out of your price range.... maybe the Pentax K7?

Here's what a DSLR can do (even some ufo's)...
vimeo.com...
(You'll need a fairly decent PC to watch that..) It looks a little different to your average camcorder, yes...?

3. Golly, thanks for the flag, I'm so excited!!!! or not.

Do you seriously think this was a post about popularity, or that flags are useful as guide to.. something?

And finally, if you are unconvinced either way about Billy Meier....

...may I suggest another hobby?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

CHRLZ.....

It is always a pleasure to see you in the threads!

I would like to bring to your attention ATS member Superiorraw & 1 of his threads pertaining to this topic:

Camcorder & Skywatching Questions:

Superiorraw has also set up a "skywatch" website & project, subsequent to 2 interesting sightings he experienced in the UK.

He's an excellent fellow.....I will let him know about your thread.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
It is always a pleasure to see you in the threads!

backatcha, mate! Nuthin' like a mutual backslap to lighten the atmosphere (or vacuum, as applicable..
)

I would like to bring to your attention ATS member Superiorraw & 1 of his threads pertaining to this topic:
Camcorder & Skywatching Questions:
Superiorraw has also set up a "skywatch" website & project, subsequent to 2 interesting sightings he experienced in the UK.
He's an excellent fellow.....I will let him know about your thread.

I'm not sure you need to..
If you check that thread you just linked, you will see that 'supe' and I have already shared significant discourse... Yes, he's got a good attitude.

I admit I hadn't followed it up to see what he is up to, and whether he has started applying his developing knowledge, or if he's dived in and bought a new camera.

By the way, did you check out that vimeo link I posted? Maybe it's just me, but that sorta stuff just gives me goosebumps.

And the entire sequence contains NO, I repeat no CGI or special post-processing. I wish I was more into videography (I'm a stills sorta guy, although I have dabbled..). But then I would probably just get frustrated by seeing the masters at work with stuff like that...

FTR, I haven't abandoned this project, and will eventually return to start collating all the stuff I have collected to date. I would particularly like to create a "Spot-the-Fake Checklist", where if you tick say 3 or more boxes, you're pretty much busted...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hi
Thanks to MMN for the link. Thanks for the discussion regarding the skywatch and camcorder questions too. I've encountered some financial difficulties recently, so i've had to abandon buying the videocamera I want (only temporary) i'm hoping that this will be rectified in the next few weeks/months and that I'll be able to buy the videocamera that I want for filming the nightsky.

So as to not hijack the thread I'd like to put forward some things regarding UFO video/photography captures.

I'd say checking things like satellite/astrological/geographical phenomena would be the first point of call, some sightings can be sussed early on. I applaud CHRLZ for this thread, its much needed, lets hope that the Mods do sticky it! I did star the thread and subscribe too.

One of the biggest challenges we face as civilians is to obtain better footage with a matching testimony, I just finished reading 'Need to Know' by Timothy Good and I must admit, from what i have taken in, we (civilians) really do seem to be up against it both in terms of what the government allow us to know and what we 'think we see' I'm not deterred at all by their actions, but i am still incredibly intrigued as to go the extra mile as a civilian and try and get the best obtainable footage. I dont think everything in our airspace is totally explainable.

So having said that, a thread that actually participates in helping the community weed out hoaxers and helps others to identify video footage and break down sightings better, then I'm all for it. My own videocamera is relatively poor at the moment, but like i said i hope to study this alot closer as soon as I get my upgrade, in the mean time i'm continuing to research the sightings I already have.

Please do follow this project through, As I'd like to see a 3 stage report on your thoughts and guide. Everyday civilians could then apply this to any sightings they experience and help them decide themselves what they saw.

In friendship

top topics

join