It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: Is China preparing for a conflict over Taiwan?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by devmim

Do you still live in Stone Age? Why is your idea about China so stereotype?

Even though the China's goverment unjustly even tyrannically treated me in past, at no time I will do anthing to harm our country, which is our Chinese culture. Perhaps you don't know that. After all, China have a bright future and I love her deeply!

BTW, all the scandals about China is not secret for me and most Chinese, the current China is open, perhaps, I know more than you, Do you know this?

Do i live in the stone age? no..... do you? You are still supporting a government that really hasn't shown to give a crap about your rights.

Do I know what's going on in China? Well, I don't live there but i do know that communist regimes pretty much have total control of the media, so pretty much you have to rely on the information from defectors and other news media outside from the country.

If China was so great why are there still defectors running away from it?

" TAIPEI, Taiwan -- A Taiwanese newspaper has named the Chinese military officer who is believed to have defected to the United States. "

2001 News, excerpted from.
www.cnn.com...

" A mainland Chinese man who surrendered to authorities on the frontline islet of Tatan on Monday was sent to the Kinmen Prosecutors' Office for investigation, a military official said Tuesday.

Tang Yuanjun, who is seeking political asylum, claims he gave 1,000 yuan to the operators of a Chinese fishing boat to take him from Xiamen, China, to Tatan, which is only 2 km away. "

Excerpted from.
www.taiwanheadlines.gov.tw...

There is no corruption in the government of China?

Some more news from Asia.

" FA-08-2002: North Korean defector dragged out of consulate by Chinese police. "

Excerpted from.
www.ahrchk.net...

" SEOUL�Police in northeastern China near the border with North Korea are involved in human-trafficking, selling starving North Korean women who cross the border looking for food, a North Korean defector told RFA�s Korean service. "

Excerpted from.
www.rfa.org...

" THE reality of China's forced abortion and sterilisation programmes has been revealed for the first time by the self-confessed "monster" who ran the policy in a Chinese town.

A Congressional committee listened in silence last week as she said that women who were nine months' pregnant were forced to have abortions, how others were compulsorily sterilised and how women who exceeded the "one-child" norm had their houses destroyed. "

Excerpted from.
www.geocities.com...

BTW, i showed you that you are wrong and that at least one Chinese official has said that war with the US is inevitable and then you called me ignorant?

" In Taiwan today, fewer and fewer people see themselves as Chinese. According to an annual poll taken by Taipei's Chengchi University, the proportion of Taiwan's residents who consider themselves exclusively Chinese has plummeted to 10% from 26% in 1992, while the number who think of themselves as exclusively "Taiwanese" has jumped to 42% from 17%. Meanwhile, a November poll by the island's Mainland Affairs Council reveals a similarly negative response to China's only model for reunification: the Hong Kong formula of "one country, two systems." Just 7% of respondents found that formulation acceptable, while 71% considered it unsuitable for Taiwan. "

Excerpted from.
www.time.com...

Were you saying something about me being totally wrong and ignorant?

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012
I'm sure the US is responsable for far more innocent deaths since 1900, especially since WW2. Is it much different, that these deaths are inflicted on 3rd world nations rather then American citizens? The reasoning is the same; to force compliance, whether it be your own citizens or developing countries.

I want to see links of this please, otherwise is just your opinion with no facts to back them up. Yes it is different, I gave reliable links with info backing up what I said, all you gave is your obviously biased opinion.

Just to make a point, tell me a time from the 1900s til today of the US government using our own troops to kill 1,000 (probably more) innocent
US civilians with no weapons.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   

the number who think of themselves as exclusively "Taiwanese" has jumped to 42% from 17%.

That means more than half of people living in Taiwan now consider themselves as Chinese and Taiwanese at the same time. I believe that is the main reason why China has not applied forces yet.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng

the number who think of themselves as exclusively "Taiwanese" has jumped to 42% from 17%.

That means more than half of people living in Taiwan now consider themselves as Chinese and Taiwanese at the same time. I believe that is the main reason why China has not applied forces yet.

Humm, look at the 71% Taiwanese thinking it is unsuitable for Taiwain to be part of China....
There are probably many Taiwanese that could be still a bit afraid from China's response if they declare themselves as independant....
That's one of the reasons why i think only 42% call themselves mainly Taiwanese and not more, but who knows, i could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
[Humm, look at the 71% Taiwanese thinking it is unsuitable for Taiwain to be part of China.... but who knows, i could be wrong.

Well, right. We have to wait till the day PLA set their feet on Taiwan island, to see how many Taiwanese has the gut to defend their Independence. It maybe next month, or next decade. I believe I can see that day.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Beijing is now saying that they might attack Taiwan in 2008 if President Chen Shui-bian continues to persist on making a constitutional change in the island. Once more the Chinese government is threatening the usland and it has given a time-table for its attack.

Beijing warns of war with Taiwan
Mr Chen has insisted the planned amendments are only concerned with local issues, but Beijing suspects he has a pro-independence agenda.

China sees Taiwan as a renegade province which it has threatened to reunite by force if Taiwan declared independence.

Mr Wang, in an interview with the Chinese state newspaper China Daily, said Mr Chen's plan to write a new constitution by 2006, and - subject to a referendum - enact it by 2008, was a serious threat to cross-Strait stability.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not too long ago Chinese officials had stated that China plans on attacking Taiwan around 2020 if Mr Chen continued, they also said that perhaps their decision to attack might be even sooner than that, but now it seems they want to attack even sooner. Is it even possible that this attack on Taiwan would be even sooner?

[edit on 30-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
[Humm, look at the 71% Taiwanese thinking it is unsuitable for Taiwain to be part of China....
There are probably many Taiwanese that could be still a bit afraid from China's response if they declare themselves as independant....

This is exactly the point I tried to make with Zcheng. However he seems to be interested in his way (rally the propaganda manual he reads from) or the highway. He can't seem to concieve that the Taiwanese may not want to be part of china period. As you pointed out how accurate is a poll taken with a gun to thier heads? The only action this bombastic sabre rattling will serve is to drive the Taiwanese further away.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Have anybody seen people from China dare to disagree with their government propaganda machine openly? Certainly not on the websites! Part of the Chinese overseas students are also spies sent by their government to monitor the speech of other overseas students and emmigrants, most of whom desperately seek US residency status because deep in their heart they know how oppressive the government was over there. They were warned not to say anything not in tune with the government propaganda machine, otherwise their families could be incarcerated or sentenced. How hypocritical these guys are when themselves refuse to go back their communist homeland yet want the people of Taiwan to go under their rule!

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
More and more Chinese students are returning back to China to seek better opportunities. For those not returning, most stay because of the high wage difference between US and China. It is about 10:1 in high tech jobs when converted to RMB under current exchange rate. The real cause is Money, plain and simple. Do you know 58% of Taiwanese Engineer would like to work in Mainland China? You think they want to go to Mainland to be oppressed?

Most Chinese people know the rampant corruption in CCP officials. The medias are reporting more and more cases, and large high officials are puting into Jail. Most people complaining the rapid rising medical cost, high higher education tuition, worsing pollution, etc.

Taiwan is a province of China, and you have to live with that fact. If China were in the same form of democrazy like USA and some party propose a referendum on Taiwan Unification, you can be assured that over 90% percent of 1.3 Billion Chinese people will approve it. When it comes to sovereignty and territorial integrity, there can be no negotiations like in the case of Hong Kong.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks a lot, I am glad to see at least someone talking about what he knows. And Thanks for the links too.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Mainly, and that's why you have to take care of where the info comes from,
Taiwanese people don't want to be nuked ( whatever they think they are chinese or not), that's why there is no move about the status quo. When DPP try to do anything, KMT shout very loud " Chinese will attack", then people are scared and get angry for a while against DPP. It's been like that for years. And You are right 71% don't want to belong to china, once again, whatever they think they are chines or not... There are multiples reasons, the main one is communism ( or what they call communism, so far from Marx and Engels).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join