It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The right-wing of the Democratic Party is the obstacle to passing health reform

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

If you are steadfastly against a bill 100%, why would you even attempt to compromise? In that case you should use every available legal method to stop the bill cold. It doesn't matter if it's an arcane House rule that hasn't been used since James K. Polk was President. If your constituents disagree, they vote you out.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Office 4256
reply to post by Sestias

If you are steadfastly against a bill 100%, why would you even attempt to compromise?

I ask you, how can you steadfastly oppose a bill 100% that you yourself have written or helped to write?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by butcherguy

Can you provide some sources and statistics to prove that the filibuster rose ENORMOUSLY during the Bush administration?

The Democrats used the filibuster a few times then.

But the Republicans now are filibustering every single piece of legislation proposed by the Democrats, no matter how large or small the issue is. This kind of abuse of the filibuster has never happened before in Congressional history.

This is from US News and World Report.......www.usnews.com...

That's the reason that I mentioned it, I looked first.

I will repeat, the Republicans have NO power.
Not in the committees that you refer to.
They do have the filibuster NOW.
They didn't have it between August and November of 2009.

Wouldn't that have been a fine time to push this wonderful bill through the Congress?

The thing that is preventing the bill from making it's way into law is this.....

OVERWHELMING OPPOSITION FROM THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

You want to know why most Republicans are still against this bill even though the Democrats added some of the Republican ideas? Because ALL of the bad ideas that the Republicans hated about the bill in the first place are STILL THERE! Sugar coating a turd doesn't make it any less of a turd.

Not to mention that, but if this passes the first phase, the Senate will go back and pass another bill that amends the first bill, making it more palatable to liberal Democrats. Who knows what they are going to strip out of it.

But you know, the really true deciding factor should be the constituents - if they don't want the bill then that should be the deciding vote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join