It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Heard of "Hurricane Amnesia", It might be deadly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hurricane Amnesia is threatening Florida and no one might be paying attention. Today is the first day of the Atlantic Hurricane Season and Floridians who have been lucky with just a few hits in the past ten years and haven't experienced a hurricane like Andrew since 1992 might be suffering from Amnesia. Yep Hurricane Amnesia. They are building their houses closer to the water, going higher and higher in the sky along the beaches. Many don't make preparations at all. If you have ever lived in Florida, you will understand the madness that follows a hurricane watch or warning with all the late shopper. I can only hope we continue to be lucky but logic and nature suggest that time is running out for a direct hit.

'Hurricane Amnesia' hits many in state
"Hurricane Amnesia" is suffered by those who forget the destructive force of the powerful storms once the winds have died down and the floodwaters have receded. Others have grown complacent because it has been so many years since the last major storm hit the state, said Mike Stone, spokesman for the Florida Division of Emergency Management.

"Every year, we go through this, because Florida is a very dynamic state of nearly 17 million people," Stone said. "It's a great place to live, but six months out of the year, it is hurricane season, and no place in the state is immune to some type of storm."

Florida's overdue

The last major hurricane to hit a large urban area in Florida was Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Hurricane Opal struck the Panhandle hard in 1995, and Hurricane Floyd teamed with Hurricane Irene to give portions of the state a good drenching in 1999.

But Floridians should take the recent lack of hurricane horror as cause for concern, not relief, cautioned Frank Lepore of the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Historical climate records indicate that hurricanes return on average at certain intervals. For example, a Category 4 hurricane would pass within 75 miles of Tampa every four to six years, he said.

Florida is due for a similar hit, forecasters say. They are predicting 12 to 15 tropical storms this season, with six to eight of those becoming hurricanes. Two to four of those could become major hurricanes, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Thankfully the State, Counties and Cities of Florida seem to be well prepared. Let's hope the residents of Florida take heed and don't let Hurricane Amnesia be their downfall.

(and I am gonna stop posting for now, cuz i can't seem to spell and my dyslexia has taken control
)

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
from the tremendous response

I think Hurricane Amnesia has already struck Florida and the east coast

oh well, at least I am prepared for the next six months

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
ever wonder why people live in tornado country? ever wonder why people live along the banks of a river that floods the very same community year in, year out? Ever wonder why people build homes in mudslide areas, earthquake areas, brush fire regions?

no different than building your home in a hurricane prone area or setting up camp in a trailer park in one of the aforementioned regions. Bound to lose that home or trailer. Yet they keep rebuilding on the same spot.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Parts of Florida might be in a for a double bang by the end of this week, i do hope my fellow floridians are prepared for whatever these storms bring, hopefully both will stay at minimum strength. Bonnie and Charley are on their way.
www.local10.com...

new topics

join