It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mysterious Jolene?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Just who IS this mysterious Jolene?
She dances through the lives and the songs of Bob Dylan, Dolly Parton, and even Ray LaMontagne. She can’t be the same

But…

Who IS she ?

Who IS this Jolene?
For Dolly Parton she was a rival, a woman who was trying to steal away Parton’s man. It is a great song. It's here

Now, for Dylan she was one of many women whom he loved. In this case he writes about his Jolene “Baby I am the king and you are the queen”
I think she was something special to Dylan based on that chorus. His women usually don’t get that high of a title in his songs, but then again he’s got so many women in his songs though
Dylan can’t go wrong

Here is Dylan's Jolene. Another great song

And Ray LaMontagne has HIS own Jolene. Another fantastic song

Who IS this Jolene
?

Could she now be called a musical meme? Or an archetype theme? What’s this Jolene thing? I'm being serious, is this like a powerful name?

Is it a name that mothers around the world might want to give to the next generation of girls that are born , in the hopes that their daughters will grow up to be the envy of the world’s Dolly Parton’s and the inspirations of love in the eyes of the world's Bob Dylans
?

What’s in a name? Well, what’s in this one in particular?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

I have often thought of these interesting people from music. If you would like to take it a little further; there is a mysterious Mr. Jones that we hear often in music (Ballad of a Thin Man, Bob Dylan; Mr Jones and Me, Counting Crows; Me and Mrs. Jones, Billy Paul [about doing Mr. Jones wife])

It has been speculated that the Mr. Jones character is a derivative of the button down everyman of the 50's early 60's and the reason why many of the songs are about him is because the "hippy" generation was raging against his machine(complete pun, sorry)

But, alas the Hippies turned into Yuppies and they have become the new Mr. Jones.

I will try and find a link.

edit: Here is a link to the Mr. Jones thing I mentioned. Half way down the page Jerry Garcia describes him as the uncool. There is more I am just having trouble sifting through the sales crap.

www.turnmeondeadman.net...

Jolene is the female version. Maybe she is Jolene Jones, in Dolly's sone she is a man stealer. So, maybe she is the one who is cheating on Mr. Jones in Dylan's and Billy Paul's song....

Good thread. Star for you...

Edit: Darn it! In the middle of my post it was moved to below top secret, so I guess no stars, but great thread anyhow...you got a flag.
[edit on 15-3-2010 by Dookie Master]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookie Master

I have often thought of these interesting people from music. If you would like to take it a little further; there is a mysterious Mr. Jones that we hear often in music (Ballad of a Thin Man, Bob Dylan; Mr Jones and Me, Counting Crows; Me and Mrs. Jones, Billy Paul [about doing Mr. Jones wife])

It has been speculated that the Mr. Jones character is a derivative of the button down everyman of the 50's early 60's and the reason why many of the songs are about him is because the "hippy" generation was raging against his machine(complete pun, sorry)

But, alas the Hippies turned into Yuppies and they have become the new Mr. Jones.

I will try and find a link.

Dookie Master, that post rules.
That Mr Jones thing is a trip. The way you described the baby boomers is hilarious.
Thanks for me making me think about taking it further. I wonder how many more there are?
Anybody know of more?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Rolling Stone did a cover article on the women behind songs in music. I have been a subscriber since 1994 and it was one of my favorites. It had the real "Rosalita" from Bruce Sprinsteen and others it was such a cool read. For any music aficiando this is a great thread to join!!!

Good idea for a thread Dragon!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookie Master

Rolling Stone did a cover article on the women behind songs in music. I have been a subscriber since 1994 and it was one of my favorites. It had the real "Rosalita" from Bruce Sprinsteen and others it was such a cool read. For any music aficiando this is a great thread to join!!!

Good idea for a thread Dragon!!!!!!!!

Thanks, man. Seems like it was just you and me on this one, Cheers.
I will see if I can find that article online somewhere, maybe Rolling Stones' site will have it archived.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Explanation: Flagged!

I would just like to link a Cover version of Dolly Partons Jolene by the White Stripes...

Personal Disclosure: Saved my post to this thread for the right time and place so as to keep it on the front page of the recent BTS threads forum!

Edited to clarify that its a cover version!

[edit on 16-3-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I don't know.

Maybe Joline is just a popular name in music?

Neat thread though.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for that link, OL.

I like those stripes.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I don't know.

Maybe Joline is just a popular name in music?

Neat thread though.

That could be.
The word is really, really easy to sing

Glad you liked the thread.

new topics

top topics

join