It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members have got to STOP promoting FEAR threads.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I am so sick of fear-mongering on this site. What happened to the credo of denying ignorance. Part and parcel to that is actually researching and finding out what is fact from what is bull.

I see so many many threads here lately that just promote FEAR without actual research into the subject.

They take any sensationalist headline they can find, and without researching it at all they believe the bull just because it promotes their own paranoia.

I am sick and tired of it, it has to stop. FEAR is the enemy.

Knowledge is power, it's time that this site really get it's act together as a community and stop this fear-mongering bull.

This site is supposed to be about finding out the truth, not promoting every single thread that scares people. It's our jobs as members to look into these threads and reveal the facts.

But what do I see instead? I see people using base fear, and what is worse, these threads are promoted by the membership. They are starred and flagged to the top of the boards and reason is ignored and ignorance is constantly rewarded.

I am sick of it and I am sick of members that do this.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

FEAR IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF COURAGE, BUT ACTING IN SPITE OF IT.

There can be no yin without yang my friend, and fear is an emotion that is a constant since man has been on this planet.
Does not matter if we feed into it, whether consciously or sub consciously, it will be there.
The difference is..if we put it out there for people to see, and talk about, and work through for solutions..together..it's better than having it eat away silently inside our minds.
To be alone with your fears, is far worse than to share them.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I am talking about baseless fear.

I so try and research the topics I discuss, find either the truth in the subject or how it's not true. Often times I find the subject is based on complete bull.

But these threads aren't being discussed rationally, they are continuously becoming rallying cries for the delusional.

They feed off of base fear, and the rational are being ignored.

I am worried about the future of this site.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

I am worried about the future of this site.

You know, now you are promoting fear about the future of ATS!

But seriously, I have heard this complaint over and over again ever since I joined ATS a couple of years ago. And I don't think ATS is doing too bad, actually. The hoaxers and liars and story tellers will contiunue to pop in, but they have a hard time here. I think the flag bar encourages some trolls and sensationalists, but they never last long at ATS before they are called out for what they are. Besides, you can actually learn a LOT from a troll thread when people with knowledge and common sense join in to provide facts and correct the misunderstandings and paranoia.

And delusional people will always continue to excist. What is ATS supposed to do, make people go through a psychological evaluation before they are allowed to join?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

And delusional people will always continue to excist. What is ATS supposed to do, make people go through a psychological evaluation before they are allowed to join?

EPIC FAIL!
It's like S-dog said once..
SOMETIMES YOU FEEL LIKE A NUT..SOMETIMES YOU DON"T

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I would probably not have been allowed to join at all if ATS managment was aware of what sometimes goes on in my head...

We are all nuts anyway.

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
Carl Gustav Jung

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

But seriously, I have heard this complaint over and over again ever since I joined ATS a couple of years ago. And I don't think ATS is doing too bad, actually.

It's not doing bad, but it can certainly do better. I just feel that ATS is slipping.

I love this site, I really do, I have what I feel are good friends here.

I just don't want this site turning into /b/

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Not sure I have ever seen someone use /b/ on here before...awesome

I am mostly with ya wukky. I do think people grasp onto an extremely loose comment way to quickly and tightly...just IMO of course and this is generally speaking as there are many good topics here

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

You are right, there are some damn good topics on this site. The problem is, the really good ones that are really well researched and have a base in reality aren't flagged enough. They aren't discussed enough, they aren't promoted enough.

The last thing I want this site to turn into is /b/

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Well that because sensationalism will always win

IMO of course...this is all a problem of the human psyche. We see grand displays and shiny lights and we ooh and aah regardless of how empty or full the inner workings are. On the other hand we see a plain-as-day article that has massive implications but because we as humans don't see the lights we tend to pass it off and only a certain fringe get together and marvel at the real deal (minus the lights)

So I guess what I am saying is that while I agree very much with you, I guess the fringe is where you have to live if you want to assure yourself that you will get substance and not just glamour.

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly, If I wanted to see fear mongering I'd go to prison planet

S&F

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I agree my dear WUK, ... however I don't talk about .... I be about it Yo !!!

here is a recent fear mongering thread which was on fire before I shut that sob down !!!

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I hated that thread, it seemed a call to arms for small minds.

Good job killing it.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KyleOrtonArmy

Thank you Kyle, .... that means alot.

I thought I'd catch heat for some of the things I end up saying.

If we didn't have mods I would have used words that are bannged in N. Korea, Iran, .... and 14 other country's.

but someone has to call them out !!! really, stop complaining everyone and call them out .

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Buddy, my name is Louis. Kyle Orton is an nfl quarterback. Nice to make your acquaintance.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

I would probably not have been allowed to join at all if ATS managment was aware of what sometimes goes on in my head...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7113660db74d.gif[/atsimg]

Seriously though, please share. It couldn't be as bad as all that....could it???

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d3e1a3562bb.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

seriously...IB is scary when mad...he was hanging out and I made bacon and burned it and he punched my cat

sick...

if people knew what was happening in MOST people's minds I think we'd all be banened....OR people would start realizing the norm of thinking is just a bit weirder than previously accepted

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
FEAR IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF COURAGE, BUT ACTING IN SPITE OF IT.

The saying is:

COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, BUT ACTING IN SPITE OF IT.

Very different.

To the OP: Yes, I see a lot of fear threads on ATS but I know that's where some people are. I usually just ignore them or if I have a counter, I post that, showing that the fear is irrational (which it usually is).

I know what you mean, though. I really wish I could see more informational threads instead of so many irrational, fear-based ones.

But what can we expect on a conspiracy site?
Some people are bound to see EVERYTHING as a conspiracy. And they do.

[edit on 3/16/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

if people knew what was happening in MOST people's minds I think we'd all be banened....OR people would start realizing the norm of thinking is just a bit weirder than previously accepted

If you all knew how sane I really am.

Granted UFO's arent my bag, I understand that, haven't seen one, wouldn't know what one was if I saw it. I generally stay out of that area of the boards because while I have never seen a UFO or alien, I can't discount the possibility that something other than us cruses around out there.

9/11 used to be my thing, till it got overrun with idiots. Can't take it anymore, I know the staff are trying their darnedest to real in the madness, but I fear it's a lost cause. I liken it to trying to put out a fire with an eye dropper.

Politics, that's where ol wukky is at his game. But trying to fight with people that either just hate the government because its the government, or are so one sided politically that anything the other side does must be evil gets tiring.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

yeah that is why I stick to certain things...can't take the 9/11 area at all...oy

But see Wukky you practice what I try to preach all the time...self-restraint...if a post drives ya nuts you walk away

kudos to you

-Kyo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join