It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Degrees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What are the Masonic Degrees and approximately how long does it take a person to achieve the 1st degree and so on?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Its amazing what happens when you just search for something, plus this has been covered thousands of times.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mundane Egg

What are the Masonic Degrees and approximately how long does it take a person to achieve the 1st degree and so on?

Thanks

Depending on how the word is used, �degree� can mean the level of one�s membership, or it can mean the actual initiation ceremony which confers the degree on a Brother. If I say �Joe is a Third Degree Mason�, that means he�s a Master Mason. But if I say, �Hey, Bob, let�s go to that Third Degree tonight�, this is of course referring to the ceremony.
When a man is elected for membership, the Master sets the date for his first degree ceremony, which is usually within a couple of weeks. How long it takes between degrees depends on the rules of one�s Grand Lodge. In my state, there is a minimum waiting period of 28 between degrees, meaning about a two month wait between the time a man petitions the Lodge, and when he becomes a Master Mason. All other degrees, such as Scottish Rite and York Rite, can be conferred upon any Master Mason after due process, and there are no waiting periods for these, at least in the US.

Fiat Lvx

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I am sure that this has been covered a thousand times already but I am new and I appreciate the information.

I am doing my family tree and have uncovered Mason going all the way back to France apparently to the late 1600's. Sooo I am interested in joining.

Thank you

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
M_E, you don't have to be related to a Mason in order to become a Mason. This is a common misconception. All you need to become a Mason (according to my jurisdiction) is to be:

• a man.
  • over 21 years of age.
  • a believer in a Supreme Being (no requirement of any specific religious dogma).
  • applying of "your own free will and accord," i.e. you can't be recruited.

Or, if you want it "ancient-style," you must be a "just and upright [man], free by birth, of mature age, sound judgement, and strict morals." That "free by birth" part doesn't really apply anymore, because it's really unlikely that your bond-master will come and yank you out of Lodge and require you to divulge secrets in this day and age

P.S. If you're interested in joining, a good place to start is with the Grand Lodge in your Jursidication. Here are some links.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by AlexKennedy]

top topics

join