It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo tells you how to spot air marshals.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Link

Some of the Air Marshals don't feel that there cover is adequate.
I can see both sides of the story. but, think the dress code should be relaxed somewhat.

"This is what I foresee," said one marshal, a two-year veteran. "Two of us get on the plane and we've been under surveillance the whole time. There's a minimum of four bad guys. My partner goes to the bathroom and they come after me with a sharp pen, stab me in the neck or in the brain and take my weapon," he continued. "When my partner comes out, they shoot him. Then they've got 80 rounds of ammunition and two weapons."

Adams called such a scenario "highly unlikely.""

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
If a terrorist wants to find the air marshalls he will find them.

They can still dress inconspicuously though, try to look like toursists or something.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why don't the air marshalls purposely make themselves stand out? Sit in a place where they can see the whole plane, look all badazz, make it known they have guns on their hips, etc, etc. Even if terrorists know who they are, the marshalls will see the terrorists before they do anything and apprehend them. I mean, the marshalls have guns and the terrorists don't, right?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Faisca youre totally right. These marshalls exist as a deterrent after all...

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Did you miss the quote?

This is coming first hand from an Air Marshal.

"This is what I foresee," said one marshal, a two-year veteran. "Two of us get on the plane and we've been under surveillance the whole time. There's a minimum of four bad guys. My partner goes to the bathroom and they come after me with a sharp pen, stab me in the neck or in the brain and take my weapon," he continued. "When my partner comes out, they shoot him. Then they've got 80 rounds of ammunition and two weapons."

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yes, I did read that quote. But that's assuming the air marshall, under current responsibilities, is sitting amongst the passengers trying to blend in, not having a good view of the entire plane.

I'm talking about having the marshalls be highly visible and noticable as what they are. Standing at the front of the plane or something. There'll be no sneaking up, because the marshalls could see everyone.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i work as a security officer in a shopping mall, our mandate is to assist the public and shop owners/keepers and to be a visible presence to deter theves and trouble makers.

My colleagues go out of their way to hide from crooks and to catch them in the act.

Technically that is not our job, if my presence can scare them off to start with then i consider it 'job well done'

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Why don't the air marshalls purposely make themselves stand out? Sit in a place where they can see the whole plane, look all badazz, make it known they have guns on their hips, etc, etc. Even if terrorists know who they are, the marshalls will see the terrorists before they do anything and apprehend them. I mean, the marshalls have guns and the terrorists don't, right?

why scare them off? if they dont notice the marshall and try something you've got one less terrorist now, avoiding an attack would just delay it but killing or imprisoning the terrorist for attempting something might prevent another attempt.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The US Marshalls need to hire more young black males. I am not saying that they don't, hell I don't know what the marshall race breakdown is. I do know that if I was hired, I would never be spotted as a marshall. I would be your typical Urban black male type. Baggy jeans, rocking the old Walt Frazier throwback jersey. With some headphones on bopping to Jadakiss or Lloyd Banks (as he will be the next hottest thing this summer).

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I know I can spot cops a mile away. I can also spot, middle eastern intelligence agents,mossad,secret service and a number of other spooks.

They all seem to have that same look. Hard to explain. Its like an energy they give off. Cute Chevy Impalas though, all compact and all

yeah yeah,,,Im crazy

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

why scare them off? if they dont notice the marshall and try something you've got one less terrorist now, avoiding an attack would just delay it but killing or imprisoning the terrorist for attempting something might prevent another attempt.

I would think that the top priority would be stopping a hijacking. The best way to do that is to discourage terrorists from attempting to do anything. I'd think that actually catching the terrorist would come secondary from stopping them from commiting some kind of incident.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I would think that the top priority would be stopping a hijacking. The best way to do that is to discourage terrorists from attempting to do anything. I'd think that actually catching the terrorist would come secondary from stopping them from commiting some kind of incident.

even if they were scared off they'd try elsewhere and if they knew who the marshall was they would go after them when their seperated on the plane and viola the detterent failed and they either have a missle(the plane) or theirs a bloody fight with passengers which wouldnt have happened if the bad guys were shot, also they would be nervous not knowing who the marshall is and they would be obvious.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by namehere]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Yes, I did read that quote. But that's assuming the air marshall, under current responsibilities, is sitting amongst the passengers trying to blend in, not having a good view of the entire plane.

I'm talking about having the marshalls be highly visible and noticable as what they are. Standing at the front of the plane or something. There'll be no sneaking up, because the marshalls could see everyone.

Do you envision this guy strapped to the wall? How does he keep from falling over during turbulence and take off.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I envision him sitting on a chair facing the rest of the plane. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to modify the planes to have a couple of stations for air marshalls to sit in.

I'm no great mind on these things, but it seems to me that my idea would work out pretty well. Atleast until they can figure out a better way of making them truly anonymous.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I envision him sitting on a chair facing the rest of the plane. I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to modify the planes to have a couple of stations for air marshalls to sit in.

I'm no great mind on these things, but it seems to me that my idea would work out pretty well. Atleast until they can figure out a better way of making them truly anonymous.

But, then they know for sure when there is NO A.M. on a flight. - The chair is empty.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeworld_Esq.
The US Marshalls need to hire more young black males.

Just like the NYPD and the Subway, works very well. Depends on the flight though, how many young black guys go to Paris for a quick get away?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AZLS1
But, then they know for sure when there is NO A.M. on a flight. - The chair is empty.

Good point... Like I said, I'm no scholar. I'm sure some logistics would have to be worked out, but it'd probably work pretty well to deter terrorists.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
About him sitting in full view for all to know he is an air marshall, why not bring in the military and have two fully combat ready troops with the biggest guns they have on each plane. Maybe a full police state, troops on every corner, in ever store. Troops every where to stop terrorists. I'd feel much safer.
The purpose of the air marshalls are suppose to be there in secret, since they are not on every flight. If the flights they were on they were in full view saying we are here, then it would be known if they wern't on the flight.
The idea is that if there is a possibility of them being there it's a deterant.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by zero_snaz
About him sitting in full view for all to know he is an air marshall, why not bring in the military and have two fully combat ready troops with the biggest guns they have on each plane. Maybe a full police state, troops on every corner, in ever store. Troops every where to stop terrorists. I'd feel much safer.
The purpose of the air marshalls are suppose to be there in secret, since they are not on every flight. If the flights they were on they were in full view saying we are here, then it would be known if they wern't on the flight.
The idea is that if there is a possibility of them being there it's a deterant.

Correctamundo! We have gone full circle.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think they should stay incognito, since they are not on every flight. However, I do believe they should have relaxed grooming standards. I think they should be able to show up having not shaved that morning, wearing a baseball cap and a pair of jeans with a polo shirt and a copy of maxim. It says they can't go through metal detectors but that they brief the crew in person. Why can't a crewmember be given responsablity for their weapon and then have said weapon delivered back to the marshal, easy as pie for them to get up to use the bathroom and walk pass the stewardess prep area, pick up his weapon and sit back down. The military relaxes grooming standards for specialized units like SF and Delta, why can't the air marshals?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join