It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA of extinct birds extracted from ancient eggshell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
March 10, 2010
Researchers have found that eggshells of extinct bird species are a rich source of preserved DNA.

An international team isolated the delicate DNA molecules of species including the massive "elephant birds" of the genus Aepyorni.

The Proceedings of the Royal Society B research demonstrated the approach also on emu, ducks and the extinct moa.

The team says that the technique will enable researchers to learn more about ancient birds and why they died out.

"Researchers have tried unsuccessfully to isolate DNA from a fossil eggshell for years," said Charlotte Oskam at Murdoch University in Western Australia, who authored the research.

"It just turned out that they were using a method designed for bone that was not suitable for a fossil eggshell."

The team has obtained DNA from the shells of a variety of species, most notably the elephant bird Aepyornis , which at half a tonne was heaviest bird to have ever existed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ecdc0162f0c.jpg[/atsimg]
The elephant bird's eggs could make 30 omelettes

Thirty omelettes, now that is cooking, hope they aren't planning to replicate this DNA, wouldn't want Elephant Birds flying or I should say walking around.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

there'd certainly be plenty to go round on Christmas day hehe.
having said that i wouldnt like to think i got to cook it, it'd take weeks surely. And how big would the oven have to be???

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
wow awesome thread OP . maybe they can clone it and bring it back to life.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

I don't want to think about they are working on and capable of that they more then likely aren't telling us.

top topics

join