It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress votes 65 to 356 to continue occupation of Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If there were a single litmus test to divide congress into those who represent the people, and those who represent the military industry and have sold out - this was it.

You probably never even heard it was being discussed - you likely never knew it was an option, the media blackout was total.

Two members of the press were present during the debate and consequent voting - yet even then, you would have heard from them - nothing at all.

Dennis Kucinich introduced the bill, that required the safest immediate withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan - within 30 days, or the safest but shortest alternative.

I have much respect for Mr. Kucinich, and reading the list of those who supported the bill it is not surprising to find the names of Grayson and Paul - both of whom voted for the bill.

If you wanted a short list of members of congress who might actually be worth a damn - the yea voters in the following link might be a good place to start.

clerk.house.gov...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon

Dennis Kucinich introduced the bill, that required the safest immediate withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan - within 30 days, or the safest but shortest alternative.

30 days or the safest but shortest alternative???

How long as the US been in A-stan? Since Oct 2001? And Kucinich expects the military to pack up and leave in a month?

Yeah, right. I'll get to work on that.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I followed this live and was able to track some of the speeches. See the thread below for comments made of why they didn't want to pull out.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
If there were a single litmus test to divide congress into those who represent the people, and those who represent the military industry and have sold out - this was it.

clerk.house.gov...

It's too late to just walk on out of there.

The reality about Afghanistan, which separates it from Iraq, is that there is an existing unified force, the Taliban, that will step in and take unopposed control if the US withdraws before the job is finished.

The Taliban, in my opinion, cannot be allowed to take control of this country again.

I hate war, but the Taliban is fanatical. Only reducing their sphere of influence to nothing and leaving an effective Afghan security force, Afghan administration and international advisors with UN Peacekeepers for at least 10 years will be able to stop them from re-establishing themselves.

Also, I have to disagree with you saying that those who voted against this bill have sold out.

It is not so black and white as a yes or no issue. There are so many shades of grey with withdrawing troops from anywhere let alone somewhere as unstable as Afghanistan.

For example, The US pulls out unconditionally in 6 months time and within the next year the Taliban has retaken power, reinstated their extreme form of Sharia law and executes all men women and children associated with the ousted, US backed, Afghan government.

It then declares Afghanistan a no-go zone, on the pain of execution, for all non-Muslims and begins setting up well organised, well funded and well maintained insurgent training camps in preparation for a massive world wide Jihad in retaliation for the US led invasion.

What would your opinion on the situation be then?

[edit on 14/3/10 by Horza]

top topics

join