It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan's Only Wolverine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I realize that a Wolverine is not a mythical beast but I wasnt exactly sure where to post this. This is a video of a Wolverine in Michigan. While some may believe that wolverines are common in Michigan, they are not. I am posting two articles, one from 2004 that shows the first signs of one in over 200 years and the second is a video from this year with a video of another one.

While this is obviously not the only wolverine in Michigan, they are not very common. And I found it interesting.

If you dont know much about Wolverines, check out my wiki link, with some more information. They are really impressive creatures.

Wolverine 2004

Wolverine Video

Wiki Wolverine

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Side note: Could a wolverine be the explanation for the Michigan Dogman? As I remember the dogman video, the creature in that video kinda resembles a wolverine.

Most people have never seen a wolverine and it is a rather odd looking animal that could be mistaken for something else.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wolverines are awesome! Not that I'd want one as a pet, but it's good to see that they're still out there.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
never heard of them before.

but thanx for the wiki link having a read now

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, I live in michigan, and was not away that wolverines actually did exist! So thanks for bringing that to light. And since there so uncommon, I wonder why they were chosen for the mascot.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I live here in Michigan too, I believe that I remember being taught in school that wolverines were hunted to there almost end here for there pelts. Also I remember one of the reasons we were the wolverine state, not sure how true it was, but dureing land disputes between ohio and michigan borders, the ohoi people said the michiganders faught and were as mean as worverines. As wolverines can be extreamly territorial animals.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

The second article states:

“We got our name as the wolverine state not because of a lot of wolverines ... but because we were such a hub of fur trading, and pelts came through the state but didn’t originate here.”

I remember hearing that this is why UofM has the wolverine as a mascot years ago but i had forgotten this story.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by vip867

...As wolverines can be extreamly territorial animals.

Does this lend evidence to the Michigan Dogman being a wolverine. The animal in that video certainly looks territorial. I know that i would not like to run into a wolverine in the wild.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I saw a bunch of dead wolverines last year....at the Big House (and it was sad)!

All jokes aside I have been a Michigan resident for 31 years and have never seen one in the wild. If I recall correctly the Dogman was large, larger than the size of wolverines (I believe, not 100%). I had somewhat dismissed the Dogman as maybe being a Bear misidentified...

Dno

new topics

top topics

join