It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true meaning of the confederate flag

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well being from Florida myself, I have to say I'm in favor of the Confederate flag. I actually had it tattooed on me. I have two crossed flags, and a banner saying "Liberty or Death". The flags happen to be the Confederate flag, and the Gadsden flag, or rather the Navy Jack, which is thirteen red and white stripes with an uncoiled rattlesnake and the words "Don't tread on me".

To me both flags are representative of rebellion. Rebellion against the corrupt government of the times. The rebellion against a corrupt government that we NEED TO BE HAVING RIGHT NOW. The two flags were separated by a hundred years, but both stood for the same thing. It has NOTHING to do with slavery. As several have pointed out here, the War of Northern Aggression (also known in the North as the Civil War) had nothing to do with slavery.

I've got those two flags. I think now is the time for a third one to be made, and we are living in the third time that a rebellion needs to happen. We lost the rebellion last time, and the oppressors won. We can't let that happen again, or we are doomed.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

loveguy, this was an interesting thread. I would not suggest that you approach your new neighbors with questions about their flag. Not until you get to know them better. I think you can understand why. You seem to be a nice guy; I'd hate to see you start a problem where there was none.

As for the notion that a flag can be divisive and induce partisanship, well, that may be true, but so what? It also creates a sense of togetherness. And I like it better than those who would burn Old Glory in the name of free speech.

Hello, and thank you for your post.
Well, instead of introducing myself and getting to know the new neighbors like I planned today, I'm here typing. I'm going to save it for the weekend. I am now only curious what that flag means to them. For; what it means to me is alot of history with alot of perspectives behind it. As I first posted, "To each his own" I remain still. It is a non-issue until it poses any kind of harm to me, my family, or my property.
I like my new neighbors now, and I haven't even met them yet!

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Thank you for your post.
I'm not sure how to respond to you.
Yes, war is a tragedy.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
reply to post by loveguy

So, is it the battle flag, or the flag of the confederation? They are two different things.

Hello,
Thank you for your post.
Is that a trick question?

en.wikipedia.org...

Scroll down to "Display at the South Carolina capitol"

[edit on (3/15/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

People will believe what it suits their perceptions to believe.

Hello, Thanks for your post.
And yes, I agree.

Outside our house my wife has a flag with two honey bees on it. And it reads: "Bee Happy." That's the summer-time one. Then we have the one with frosty on it waiving: "let it snow."

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507
Isn't the Confederate Flag a symbol of a faction that fought against what we currently know as the United States? The south lost, the north won. Is it not similar to a losing party's flag in a time of war being risen in the conquering nation? such as a Nazi flag being raised in Germany?

Personally I live near Alabama, here in Florida, and I see it everywhere and don't find it offensive.

Hello, thanks for your post.
That is an interesting observation.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alltogethernow
I like the flag!!! To me it represents rebels/rebellion or the way I like to be. Unlike the stereotype not all rednecks are toothless with low IQ. They just choose to live different.(not worried about keeping up with the jones) Also I would be ok living next to someone flying the flag; thier houses won`t be broken into cause most with the flag flying are armed to protect. Just my 2cents.

Agreed the flag to me means rebel as in ,we live our way .
I remember the rockabillies great time .WoW did you not watch dukes of hazzard. daisy duke and brothers they was rebels with a cool car .I would fly the flag .I dont think its like a north south divide thing in 2010 mabe 60 years back .
But i aint American, dixie huray huray i wish i was in dixie.ARH
Memorys of my miss spent youth. Remeber this Im a rockabilly rebel from head to toe . remeber matchbox.
The neighbour might just like rockabilly music????? you should ask first make friends offer him a brew.

Stray cats .
I loved the 80s punk as well then progressed to rock. and now its anything .

[edit on 3/15/2010 by dashar]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AYNECHENT
I had a second thought contrary to my orgiginal post (benefit of looking at everything from different perspectives).

Also please whatever you do, dont go demanding it be taken down because away rights that we are guaranteed, and that is a good reason for a confrontation.

Hello, Thanks for posting again.
Yup, I kinda figured that asking about his flag after just handing him cookies as a welcome to the neighborhood would look rather superficial of me, or some other word that's not yet in my minimal vocabulary.
How does nosy sound?

One thing in the back of my mind I've considered is that because his yard is fenced, and kept closed, don't know about, or have seen a dog, he probably won't like people going onto his property uninvited. That could be a confrontation in it's self.

Ofcourse, I ain't afraid of no dog. It's the owner one should be aware of! Dogs love me, heck, my own dog loves to bite me. I used to put my old neighbor's dogs back in their yards in the neighborhood I grew up in. I met people's dogs before I met the owners at least twice that I can remember, anyhow. I'm looking forward to the weekend!

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
reply to post by endisnighe

Sometimes I wonder "if" the confederacy wasnt such a bad idea after all, and just how would things have gone differently, or not?

Hello,
Thanks for your post.
Well, In perspectives as say the "Dukes of Hazard" I would fancy all girls wearing "Daisy Dukes" all the time everywhere. And Roscoe P. Col-train, and all, with Cletus and who's that guy that walked himself into the jail all the time? Andy Taylor, Aunt Bea. That would really be grand. Then 'Ole Boss Hog kinda ruins it for me.

I think we'd still be sent down the river without a paddle to save ourselves.
Power corrupts is a grim reality IMO.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Well being from Florida myself, I have to say I'm in favor of the Confederate flag. I actually had it tattooed on me. I have two crossed flags, and a banner saying "Liberty or Death". The flags happen to be the Confederate flag, and the Gadsden flag, or rather the Navy Jack, which is thirteen red and white stripes with an uncoiled rattlesnake and the words "Don't tread on me".

To me both flags are representative of rebellion. Rebellion against the corrupt government of the times. The rebellion against a corrupt government that we NEED TO BE HAVING RIGHT NOW. The two flags were separated by a hundred years, but both stood for the same thing. It has NOTHING to do with slavery. As several have pointed out here, the War of Northern Aggression (also known in the North as the Civil War) had nothing to do with slavery.

I've got those two flags. I think now is the time for a third one to be made, and we are living in the third time that a rebellion needs to happen. We lost the rebellion last time, and the oppressors won. We can't let that happen again, or we are doomed.

Hello,
Thanks for your post.
I kind of like that Gadsden flag. I don't think it's had it's chance to fly high though as it purveys my spirit. No need IMO for a third flag. That one will do me fine.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
'Ole Boss Hog always got rumbled

dont believe your link about the flag might of represented that years ago but its 2010 now. So folks who believe in slavery will be very alone.

[edit on 3/15/2010 by dashar]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

Hello,
Oh yeah! Cool links to a cool yester-year!
Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm from the east coast and now I live in the mid-west. I see these flags all the time. I was really offended when I first saw them. Now I understand the whole rebel thing because I research. But honestly, how many of these people waving this flag really understand the true nature of what it represents. The whole rebel flag issue is always going to be a split issue. I personally don't like it. But that's just me. I'd never ask someone to take some symbol down just because I don't agree with it. A symbol is only as powerful as we allow it to be. Please don't take this offensively, but I'd say, just mind your business and don't take it personal.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
...or just put up a union 13 colonies flag

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

In normal circumstances the US flag goes over the State flag. Of course they could fly the US flag upside down, but the neighbor would get lots of visitors because that is a message of distress.

I have actually seen three flags flying upside down in my town over the past 2 months. The next one I see, I am going to go talk to them and see if they feel the same way a lot of us here feel.

Yeah, I'm going to raise our flag upside down when the weather here gets better. I also have a tattoo on my shoulder of an upside down American flag. i get a lot of flak for it because people dont understand or know what it really means. Some people whisper that it means that "someone died" or that it means anarchy/ hatred of the government. But its neither of those, i feel like many Americans do, distressed.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Certain things change means over time. The confederate flag was originally just the symbol of the south during and after the civil war, but in the south over the last few decades it has become a symbol of racism. It is flaunted around as a "remember the good old days when you could just smack around blacks". The meaning has changed.

Example:

In the 80's if I said I wanted to hook up with my friend it just ment to hang out and do something. Now it would mean we would be having sex.

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I live in the South, and the Confederate Flag is sacred! Even to our black folks! Now, if I saw one from some Yankee in your neighborhood, I might worry that they don't know the real meaning, and it could be an attempt at a racial message.

The flag was not intended this way, but some do use it this way!

My buddy wears his confederate flag on at all times, even with his black girlfriend!

It is "supposed" to be an emblem of State's Rights, and Independence from an Oppressive Federal Government, and that is how I hope it is being used.

As for the Gadsden Flag, it is terrific, and it should be flown with pride alongside the Confederate and the US flag (minus gold fringe)! The combination of the 3 shows you as a true patriot that understands history and embraces his brothers in defending liberty!

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
sln.fi.edu...

Additional info about the Gadsden flag and the Rattlesnake. I loved reading this, and I have never looked at a Rattlesnake the same.

I recollected that her eye excelled in brightness, that of any other animal, and that she has no eye-lids. She may therefore be esteemed an emblem of vigilance. She never begins an attack, nor, when once engaged, ever surrenders: She is therefore an emblem of magnanimity and true courage. As if anxious to prevent all pretensions of quarreling with her, the weapons with which nature has furnished her, she conceals in the roof of her mouth, so that, to those who are unacquainted with her, she appears to be a most defenseless animal; and even when those weapons are shown and extended for her defense, they appear weak and contemptible; but their wounds however small, are decisive and fatal. Conscious of this, she never wounds 'till she has generously given notice, even to her enemy, and cautioned him against the danger of treading on her.

'Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together, so as never to be separated but by breaking them to pieces. One of those rattles singly, is incapable of producing sound, but the ringing of thirteen together, is sufficient to alarm the boldest man living.

By the way, I wear all 3 flags on my vest! And the US flag is NOT upside down, and if it were upside down I would call for an airstrike on the vicinity!

[edit on 16-3-2010 by getreadyalready]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join