It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Dali Lama to visit Scottish Parliament

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
On Wednesday June 4th 2004, the Scottish Parliament in Holyrood, Edinburgh will have an extraordinary visitor, the holy Dali Lama.
His holiness has come to Edinburgh for a time for reflection with busy MSP�s and special visitors, who snapped up tickets for the remarkable event in under a days notice.

bbc.co.uk
What will this self-styled "simple Buddhist monk" say? What will he make of this little parliament dealing with the mundane issues of a mainly prosperous and peaceful nation?

I asked the same question of another visitor to the parliament this week, Dr Ahmad Tibi, one of the eight Palestinian members of the Israeli Knesset. He said: "I am looking forward to the day when we are dealing with social and environmental issues, not violence and terror. "I want a boring and peaceful life."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It�s a pity this hasn�t been in more mainstream news, this is very big news for the country and a historical moment for it especially.

Related News Links
Scottish Parliament

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Gryffen]

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Im wondering how often does the dali Lama leave his country to do these kind of talks with outher goverments this is a very high honour for scotland to have the Dali Lama vist them looking forword to and update gryff with the answers to his questions that he will be asked.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Sorry but who is she?

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
On behalf of all the people of Scotland, I'd like to welcome him, and say how disappointing it is that Blair couldn't pop out of Dubya's posterior for long enough to arrange a meeting with the Dali Lama too.

What the hell happened to the idea of an "ethical foreign policy"?

I'm awaiting the update too, Gryffen - and thanks for the link!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
AD....U ARE JOKING ME RIGHT!!!!!!

Dalai Lama

This has near enough everything on his holiness.

i would love to meet this man!

This is the Dalai Lama * and yes i know i spelt it wrong*

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
All I have to say is AD5673...Oh my...time to pick up a book and learn some history. Perhaps explore a few other religions...

Anyway, the Dhali Lama is a wonderful human being. I had the pleasure of listening to him speak about a month ago in Ottawa...it was a great experience.

You will never meet somebody who expresses such pure joy through laughter and such wisdom and peace.

See him if you get the chance, it will be an experience you will never forget.

Peace,
Lukefj

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Lukefj]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I second Lukefj's comments - the Dalai Lama was here in SoCal at the Univ of Irvine a couple months ago. He wasn't at all what I expected: just a guy sitting there talking and laughing at his own comments. Then he took some questions from the audience and gave very thought-provoking answers.

He certainly has a right to be upset with the world, but he's just calm and peaceful and has much to teach us all.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
If you are going to pick on AD5673 for asking 'who is she'

Pick on SE7EN for asking how often he leaves his country, I only say this because last I checked his country was Tibet, but he hasn't been there since 1960, along with about 120,000 Tibetan in exile in India.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
eh...whos picking?

for ur information we were chattin in CHAT when he posted that....dinna get snippy with me.

as for Se7en...its a valid question...i dont even know

and thanks for the answer

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I met him once, I believe it was 8 years ago. He was doing a public speaking engagement at a local university, and I was able to attend. Even after such a short period of time, I cannot remember his specific message. I would imagine it was a message of compassion and tolerance, but like I said, I cannot remember the details.

However, I will NEVER forget the feeling of being in his presence. This man can fill a room with human emotion without doing a thing or saying a word. I think that for me, that was his true message. His positive radiance affected me more than his words.

I don't have anything else to say about that. . .

--J1M

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The exiled Tibetan leader, the Dalai Lama, addressed the Scottish Parliament on Wednesday afternoon as part of his visit to Scotland.

A few days earlier he addressed thousands of followers and seekers after truth in Glasgow. During the trip he took time to talk to me about his experiences.

Someone once said that when he laughs, the Dalai Lama sounds like Sid James.

And he seems to enjoy chuckling at the most unexpected moments.

Like when someone asked him: "Why are we here, on earth?"

He guffawed and said that was not a question that interested him very much.

What was more important, he said, was that we were here, and we must work out what we need to have a happy and fulfilled life.

Link

more links

Dalai Lama 'warms hearts'

The Dalai Lama's visit in pictures

There are more links via the links i have given

I think this is a historic event in scottish parliment history...having one of the most famous and holiest men in the world coming to discuss todays events from the world....

im actually quite angry that Tony Blair didnt come and greet the Dalai himself...i would have done anything to be there and hear him...such a wonderful man

gryff

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
zero_snaz is right. He's been exiled from his home country for a while now.
He was in Canada and met our Prime Minister, not so long ago.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Have to admire his thoughts if only more people could undertsand his way of life or at least use a little of it i think the world would be a much better place.

Like when someone asked him: "Why are we here, on earth?"
He guffawed and said that was not a question that interested him very much.
What was more important, he said, was that we were here, and we must work out what we need to have a happy and fulfilled life. /quote]

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by SE7EN]

new topics

top topics

join