It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My boss told me I can't visit ATS

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
while on store property u must abide by their rules.
u are not paid for your lunch break, so leave the property and surf away.
if he wants you to stay on property, demand to be paid for your lunch break.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by litmuspaper
This is why I’m glad I’m my own boss, I don't have patience for this type of attitude.

If this man was my boss I’d report him immediately.

I wonder how me knows about ATS in the first place, wouldn’t be surprised if he was a complete hypocrite who visits this site himself, but only to “debunk” any conspiracies that come up and to chastises those with anti-government or anti-media threads.
[edit on 14-3-2010 by litmuspaper]

I trust that when you hire an employee, pay for their wages, health care, vacations, government contributions, breaks, sick days, mistakes you will also stand by them when they want to visit websites that may be offensive to other employees that you are also paying all of this stuff for. Or maybe it will be your largest client who thinks poorly of what he see's on an employee's laptop, maybe enough so that he pulls his contract.

Things change when YOU are responsible for the livelihood of others. When their families count on your job to keep them alive. At that point, the needs of the business far outweigh the personal preferences of the counter guy.

Insert any other website in the ATS slot in the OP's argument and then consider if you would be so stoically behind their "right" to view it within your establishment.

..Ex

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ask the boss if it's because you are a Conspiracy Theorist....make sure to tape the conversation. Get a good lawyer.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Welcome to America, where big business owns your soul.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
My good friend I am from that neck of the world...

Being that it is florida, I will tell you what Ive learned from texas...

The Fl people are very slick and dirty.

Properly pre plan all future encounters

Bring a recorder to work and record the boos at all times... Let NO ONE there know you have the recording...

Walmarts< br />
Next while your there pick up a book, companion note book usually 50 cents to a dollar

log every incident....

Is your store a union store by chance? I dont like em but a fight is a fight....

If your young play it up as dumb!!!!!

The older ones by it readily!

Your goal is to prepare for a scorched earth policy..

Id suggest finding out all you can about this man. Time to dig up as much info as you can... Listen to what others say about him and begin using your internet to dig up on him....

Try and find something... Do an age vs position in life evaluation... Odds are he is a failure...

Go to the

Florida Workforce

or www.floridajobs.org...

not sure which is which...Set the ************ up. Tell them what is going on and make the recordings there as well but do not tell them where you work just the situation.

I d suggest go to a city outside of where you live odds are lower on them being friends. Make it your first question..

Do you know, managers name?

Just dont tell them you are collecting information just that he has threatened to fire you and you want to crerate a file for evidence when and if you get fired...

get em

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Your in Florida! A right to work state! They can fire you if you fart!

I do not eat bennie weenies where I work. I love them. But, I just eat non-gas food.

Go to Publix and work.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Bring a recorder to work and record the boos at all times... Let NO ONE there know you have the recording...

I was under the impression that a recording made without a warrant was useless in court?

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Blender]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
you should compensate yourself by helping yourself to free steaks.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by savageheart
I think I would find somewhere else to sit during lunch to where you would be able to see him coming. As the other posters have stated, you need to find out what your rights are. Call an attorney, they are required by law to provide so many hours free consultation per year.

No they're not. Notice the word "should" in Florida's Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys. It's a mere recommendation - lawyers are not required to do so many hours of free consultation. If it were a requirement, then the word would be "shall." The Florida Bar can't require you to work for free - what if you were unemployed strait out of law school? You think the state would require you to help people when you don't know anything or have another source of income. Of course not - the same rules is in Michigan's Rules of Professional

Rule 4-6.1 Pro Bono Public Service (a) Professional Responsibility. Each member of The Florida Bar in good standing, as part of that member's professional responsibility, should (1) render pro bono legal services to the poor and (2) participate, to the extent possible, in other pro bono service activities that directly relate to the legal needs of the poor. This professional responsibility does not apply to members of the judiciary or their staffs or to government lawyers who are prohibited from performing legal services by constitutional, statutory, rule, or regulatory prohibitions. Neither does this professional responsibility apply to those members of the bar who are retired, inactive, or suspended, or who have been placed on the inactive list for incapacity not related to discipline.

(b) Discharge of the Professional Responsibility to Provide Pro Bono Legal Service to the Poor.

The professional responsibility to provide pro bono legal services as established under this rule is aspirational rather than mandatory in nature. The failure to fulfill one's professional responsibility under this rule will not subject a lawyer to discipline.

Florida Rules of Professional Conduct

I can tell you that the Michigan rules have the same provision - that's the state where I am working as an attorney.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by andrewh7]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Had a poor boss like that myself.
Would skew the company policy because she was pissed off I was better at her job than her.

I would have had her job if not for an email error, and the higher-ups had the same feeling, but due to the company policy they couldn't do anything at that point. So she had it in for me, took away my priveleges for working, making my work harder; took massive breaks and stole countless hours from the company claiming she was doing something else. Also constantly tried to reprimand me for doing things the upper management would ask me to do since I'd actually do it, claiming I was not repecting her authority. Also took a fit whenever I helped nearby areas when I wasn't busy, claiming I was neglecting my job. She's still up to the same tricks, getting paid to sip coffee with her husband in an office where the managers never go.

I reported her to 3 of her upper managers, the store, region and district managers, and nothing. The regional manager has been trying to get her out of the store for years, and even with proof he can't because she's protected unless caught personally with witnesses. I took another job, but because of her, and the fact that I'm certain there were people telling her I was reporting her to the upper levels, I may not be able to go back to that store if I wanted to. Though I'd be given a job in another store in a heartbeat, they're too far to travel.

Things are tough all over, sometimes you just need to weigh all your options and make sure you have an out. Just make sure that out isn't worse than your current situation.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Mr. jack]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Are you in south carolina? cuz i'm from here and we've got winn dixie's all over the place... in south carolina all jobs require you to sign this form that states that your job can be terminated without cause or reason. So if the manager simply doesn't like you... you can be fired. But most don't excersize that right because they themselves know it's wrong.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
If you have any sort of work badge or uniform make sure it's not visible.

Lots of good info here but also remember they can fire you for any reason or no reason and you pretty much have to deal with it or get a new job. One of those many situations when a person loses some faith that America is perfect - happened to me long ago.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
As inferred by our esteemed members here previously; This guy is an a*****e.

He is power tripping.

RipControl advised you to prepare for a scorched earth policy. If you're younger with no dependents, and have a chance of other employment opportunities- burn this guy! But do it within the system and the rules. He will no doubt lie about you, and he may now secretly be plotting how he's going to burn you, so burn him first! You have rights, learn them, use them. If other options aren't on the table for work, stay and burn him. You can watch him squirm, and he can't retaliate. You may see him go while you stay. Kill him with kindness. Raise hell, build your case, take copious notes, go over his head.
Even if it's not that big a deal ( which I think it is ), the whole encounter will break the monotony of your regular life. Tweaking this guy could be your new hobby.

Be prepared for some screwy small-print-legal-mumbo-jumbo that says they can monitor your internet content on their property, or deem any content unsuitable in an arbitrary way.

Life is too short- defend yourself and your rights, period.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I was researching some information for you since I'm not from Florida so I will give it a shot.

The laws regarding an employer's duties and responsibilities arising under Discrimination and Wrongful Termination are complex, and a licensed attorney should be contacted to review individual circumstances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First off what our rights are when working:

At Will In Florida, employees are presumed to be "at will." At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it's not illegal. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In Florida, it is very difficult to overcome the at-will presumption.

Discrimination and Wrongful Termination

Employers are not allowed to terminate or discriminate against employees for the following reasons:

* Sex
* Religion
* National origin
* Disability
* Pregnancy

It's illegal for an employer to consider these characteristics with regard to:

* Promotions
* Job assignments
* Termination
* Wages

And it's illegal for an employer to terminate an employee:

* For refusing to break a law
* In retaliation for filing a discrimination or safety claim
* For taking leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
* Without following its own stated procedure or policy
* For reasons not contained in the employment contract, if one exists

SOURCE Prohibited Termination

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second to me when I read that your boss allegedly came up to you on "your free time" and made the allegation of "firing you, for not doing what he wants done" to me that sounds like harassment. Now what does the law state on harassment?

Definition:
Harassment is a form of employment discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, (ADEA), and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, (ADA).

When is harassment unlawful?

Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.

Or in other words:

To be unlawful, the conduct must create a work environment that would be intimidating, hostile, or offensive to reasonable people.

Offensive conduct may include, but is not limited to, offensive jokes, slurs, epithets or name calling, physical assaults or threats, intimidation, ridicule or mockery, insults or put-downs, offensive objects or pictures, and interference with work performance. Harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including, but not limited to, the following:

* The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, an agent of the employer, a co-worker, or a non-employee.
* The victim does not have to be the person harassed, but can be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.
* Unlawful harassment may occur without economic injury to, or discharge of, the victim.

SOURCE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I were you I would try to find any other possible unlawful things that your boss may have done and once you have got that information I recommend you to file a complaint against your boss:
Complaint Information

And if your boss tries to "retaliate" against you for filing a complaint against him/her then further actions can be taken:
Retaliation

[edit on 15-3-2010 by millicake]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Office 4256

Wrong! Florida is an "at will" state.

research.lawyers.com...

At Will

In Florida, employees are presumed to be "at will." At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it's not illegal. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In Florida, it is very difficult to overcome the at-will presumption.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by savageheart

Wrong! Attorneys are not required "by law" to provide so many free hours per year to clients. Most states suggest, but do not require, their attorneys to provide pro bono service. It depends on the state, but I do not know of any off hand that make it a "legal requirement," so I'll leave it at that.

I'm sorry, but if you people continue to give "legal advice" here you might find yourself at the state bar yourself answering the question why you engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, lol....

My advice is to call the EEOC and find out what is going on in your state, Florida, and get advice from them.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by goobgirl]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Chances are, he only saw that it was a conspiracy sight. I doubt he understands what ATS is as a whole.

If you were using the store's internet, then he may just be worried that it's some site that could catch the government's attention.

I gathered from your post that he said if he caught you on the site again, he'd fire you.

Seems to me like he just doesn't want you going on ATS at work.

Break or not, if it isn't your internet service, I don't think you have a strong case against him.

Just respect his wishes while you work for him. There are plenty of other things you can do during your break at work.

It's hard to find a job these days.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I trust that when you hire an employee, pay for their wages, health care, vacations, government contributions, breaks, sick days, mistakes you will also stand by them when they want to visit websites that may be offensive to other employees that you are also paying all of this stuff for. Or maybe it will be your largest client who thinks poorly of what he see's on an employee's laptop, maybe enough so that he pulls his contract.

Things change when YOU are responsible for the livelihood of others. When their families count on your job to keep them alive. At that point, the needs of the business far outweigh the personal preferences of the counter guy.

Insert any other website in the ATS slot in the OP's argument and then consider if you would be so stoically behind their "right" to view it within your establishment. -V3_exceed

Wow, you're a company guy, huh? Where does offensiveness start and stop? Let's try your suggestion: Reading The Huffington Post? Watching Faux News? Looking at an ACLU website? Visiting The Nation site? Looking at a UNION website? Catholic? Buddhist? Muslim? Athiest? What content would you proscribe for us, Benevolent Employer, All-knowing, All-Seeing Provider ?

What topics are sanitized enough to protect the bottom line?

It seems that's a tricky bit to qualify legally, and your premise is morally whacked. And, since when does your biggest client ever walk anywhere near where Slave No. 999 is eating a snack cake and Denying Ignorance?

I really am sorry to be so snarky with you, but you kind of opened that door with your tone. ( IMHO ). It's often not easy or fun to be the boss, I've been there. It's often unrewarding socially. Bosses get the "big" bucks to suck it up.

It's about dignity and respect. Yeah, with a bad economy, it's an employer's market, but perhaps companies should go back to showing some respect for their employees as people, and stop using them as "resources". Ask Google employees how they like their gig......

For all I know, you're a swell guy and a riot at parties. I'm certain you have many good qualities, but I'm glad I don't work for you.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by moonzoo7]

[edit on 15-3-2010 by moonzoo7]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Really? huh...No one on this thread is an attorney?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by goobgirl
reply to post by Office 4256

Wrong! Florida is an "at will" state.

research.lawyers.com...

At Will

In Florida, employees are presumed to be "at will." At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it's not illegal. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In Florida, it is very difficult to overcome the at-will presumption.

I'v already made that clear from my post above your post:

Originally posted by millicake

First off what our rights are when working:

At Will In Florida, employees are presumed to be "at will." At-will employees may be terminated for any reason, so long as it's not illegal. Generally, employees who work under an employment contract can only be terminated for reasons specified in the contract. In Florida, it is very difficult to overcome the at-will presumption.

I recommend you reading the whole topic before posting that way you don't repeat what others have said.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by millicake]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join