It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D chips to take Moore's Law past 2020?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
To keep up with Moore's Law processor density must double every two years. IBM and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich plan to do just that with a couple of clever improvements.

They've figured out a way to stack multiple processor cores vertically instead of next to each other as they are now. That neat trick speeds up data transfers between the cores, making them "many times faster."

With all this extra speed comes more heat, but this liquid-cooled beast's hair-thin tubes keep everything frosty, their tiny streams of refrigerant flowing among the stacked 3D cores.

The result? Aquasaur, the first water-cooled supercomputer of its kind, using multiple nano surfaces to keep its blinding speed from generating so much heat that the whole thing melts down into a useless blob of silicon and metal. Now if they could just fit this into an iPhone.... dvice.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
That's very neat!

I am excited to see where this goes

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Why tiny...
Put that in a medium sized PC tower and you have a
Blue computer..

Make a graphicsprocessor, maybe 2 or 4 on the same card.
Damn i could play ALL games at ALL HIGH...

To bad i will take another 20 years before it hits the stores..

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
someday we'll buy water filled with highly effective nanotechnology, it's gonna be like 50 000 Go storage and 150go RAM or soem like that. Given that I started playing videogames at a time in which they were storaged in 1mo Disks... that gives you a pretty good hint about how Moore's Law evolves.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

actually the tech isn't 20yrs out moore's theory states we would reach the speed cap by 20yrs out, ergo this tech is right around the corner

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by zeroeffect
reply to post by Miccey

actually the tech isn't 20yrs out moore's theory states we would reach the speed cap by 20yrs out, ergo this tech is right around the corner

To be fair, the article the OP linked is already 4 years old.
We should have start seeing this technology by now surely.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What are you guys talking about? These are memory chips.

Its called NAND. Its in your ipods. Its not being supressed and its not a super computer.

forward-insights.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by garritynet
What are you guys talking about? These are memory chips.

Its called NAND. Its in your ipods. Its not being supressed and its not a super computer.

forward-insights.com...

Correct --

Package-on package (PoP) stacked memory has become quite popular in the few years since the article in the OP was written. I don't know if any commercial chip producer has an 8-stack chip yet, but computer memory is still following Moore's law and it will seemingly continue to do so into the foreseeable future.

As for liquid-cooling, there are now water-cooled memory chips on the market and water-cooled motherboards, and you can buy a kit that water-cools your chips (www.xoxide.com...), but I don't think there is a "need" to do so yet at the consumer-computer level. Instead of going the liquid-cooled route, some chip manufactures are dealing with the heat (and the warping caused by heat) by introducing new materials and/or chip configurations that minimize warping, or minimize the affect warping would have on the chip's performance.

I bet that someday liquid-cooled methods for heat dissipation will be more common, but right now as far as I know it does not seem it is essential yet to use liquid cooling for consumer-grade computer chips.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MattMulder

But what happens when we accidentally drink our Nanowater?

top topics

join