It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Campaign stunt launches a corporate 'candidate' for Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Campaign stunt launches a corporate 'candidate' for Congress

www.washingtonpost.com

Murray Hill might be the perfect candidate for this political moment: young, bold, media-savvy, a Washington outsider eager to reshape the way things are done in the nation's capital. And if these are cynical times, well, then, it's safe to say Murray Hill is by far the most cynical.

That's because this little upstart is, in fact, a start-up. Murray Hill is actually Murray Hill Inc., a small, five-year-old Silver Spring public relations company that is seeking office to prove a point (and perhaps get a little attention).

After the Supreme Court declared that corporations have the same rights as individuals when it comes to funding political campaigns, the self-described progressive firm took what it considers the next logical step: declaring for office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Shark_Feeder]

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 3/14/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
What do you guys think of this mess...I am at a loss.

Part of thinks they might be doing this to draw attention to the problem.

The other part worries they are serious!
Another quote from these people...

"Until now, corporate interests had to rely on campaign contributions and influence-peddling to achieve their goals in Washington," the candidate, who was unavailable for an interview, said in a statement. "But thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, now we can eliminate the middle-man and run for office ourselves."

Just imagine this country's future...President Wal-Mart, with Mcdonalds for speaker of the house.

Ok this situation is just getting sick!

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
WoW...

Really I am the only one who's a little apprehensive about all of this?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I saw this coming. I don't think it's a joke. Corps are gonna push it for it's worth these days.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
No, you aren't the only one worried about this.

There is a thread that discusses this in length here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for bringing more attention to it. I recently read an article about this today on yahoo which means it's gaining traction.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

someone for congress that IS NOT a career politician but comes from the private sector?

I'm all for it. Maybe this is the change we need?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
What is so breaking about this?

Let me see, I do a search and find about 7 threads on this topic.

So let me ask again, what is so breaking about this?

Democrat operatives attempt to diflect what the Supreme Court decision was really about, Freedom of Speech.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Apologies the previous poster has pointed out the existing threads.

That's why I am moving over to the most recent thread on this subject.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder
WoW...

Really I am the only one who's a little apprehensive about all of this?

No your not mate - this is very dangerous territory and we should all be extremely apprehensive (so great job on the thread
).

I don't know if you've seen this film before but at 2:30 it describes just how corporations were awarded 'unique individual human right' status by the U.S. Supreme Court - turns out it was a gross manipulation of African American slave laws which were completely abused so corporations could be seen through the eyes of the law as 'just one person'.

The Corporation.

Full Film

The private sector's fundamental reason for existence is 'maximization of profit margins' - everything else comes secondary to that (including people's wellbeing) so they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near open politics.

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
50/50

Just because no one has actually come out and said it before doesn't mean it never happened.

Crapp, just ask Springer.
The only real permenant staff were the lobyists.

Saying a congressional candidate exists independantly of the mechanism that funds them is a delusion.

[edit]

Ironically this 'worrisome prospect' could actually be documented as one of the few times a candidate actually told the truth about their motivations.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Absence of Self]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

S&F

I think it's great that the mainstream media is starting to pay attention to this. Yes, there are other threads on the same topic - but none reference a big publication.

...I think it's EXTREMELY dangerous to give corporations the same rights and freedoms as individuals. When push comes to shove - we lose.

new topics

top topics

join