Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My Grandmother just found a Freemason Ring. Please look.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
As already said, the 10K probably refers to ten carat purity, which is 41.7% gold, the lowest grade that can still legally be considered to be gold.
So this is NOT going to be either rare or valuable.

But take it to a jeweler or pawn broker and ask what it would be worth.

Now there is not a lot of metal in a ring anyway, so the scrap value would not be worth much, junk jewelry really.

If you are not into the ancient esoteric mysteries, and all the really bad stuff that goes with it, I suggest you put it on e-bay and see what some fool is prepared to offer you for a gold masonic ring.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
E-Bay, AWESOME idea. Thanks for that.

No, I don't care about any of the mysteries behind it.

But I know how sentimental it is, and I've posted a a ad on craigslist, but, I will not return it without a highly gratuitous award.

Reason? Well lets see, I'm willing to bet 98% of masons are born into a chipper family with everything they need to succeed at their disposal.

Was I? Nope, I've slept in the bushes and scrounged for money just to eat before.

Therefore, I'm sure whatever grandmaster that owned this ring has plenty enough money to cough up what I want for the return of it.

Selfish? Unthoughtful? Mean? Cruel? Just a straight up asshole?

Yep. That's me.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Revolution-2012]

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution-2012

Belonging to the Masons isnt a class issue. Lots of working class people are Masons.

Also, it probably doesnt belong to the original owner anymore. It looks like it has been crudely sized to fit a smaller hand. Which may indicate it was someones fathers or grandfathers ring. The crudely sized bit tells me the person may not have had the money to go get the ring properly sized.

You found it, if you want to sell it or hold out for a generous reward, its certainly your call. But it isnt the kindest or most ethical thing to do. I know it sucks to scrounge for food, I grew up very poor too. But growing up poor and scrounging for food doesnt determine your character. You do.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

you should wear that thing to school! pimp your # out all over the place!
bling bling!
but yeah looks like cheapo garbage from this angle! its been worn almost to extinction...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well, I have spent a minute trying to find your exact ring and it has proven to be very difficult. You are in possession of a fairly unique specimen.

The most uncommon characteristic of your ring is that the face is all gold. Virtually all masonic rings I have been able to find have some sort of coloring on the face. Additionally, while many masonic rings have symbols on the sides, an exact match to the symbols on the sides of your ring has proven very difficult.

I have found two near matches. This one, and this one. On the first one I do not believe that the symbols on the sides are identical to yours, and in the second one the scale and compass is silvered. Thousands of masonic rings are availible here. I looked through hundreds trying to find yours, and I recommend that that is where you start if you want to try to find an exact match.

I believe that your ring is solid 10 - 14 karat gold. The symbol on the front is the standard masonic scale and compass, and I believe that the symbol on the sides is a known as a plumb and trowel.

Similar rings seem to retail for $300-500 USD. If you were to sell it - which I would recommend against - it would obviously sell for substantially less than retail value.

Cool find though!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

The ring might have a historical value to it yeah?

I don't know, but maybe some guy on E-Bay will give me a 1000 for it.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
Well, I have spent a minute trying to find your exact ring and it has proven to be very difficult. You are in possession of a fairly unique specimen.

That could be said of just about all masonic regalia and accessories.
These are usually custom made to the wearers taste, depending upon the particular degree rank, and branch of masonry.

Some mason has probably asked one of his jeweler mason friends to "craft" him a ring, out of low grade but very hard wearing ten carat gold.

It is probably unique, and maybe very old, but that still does not make it valuable.

I could get someone to make me a plain solid ten carat gold ring with a Mickey Mouse or Superman logo.

It would still just be cheap junk jewelry.

But advertise it on e-bay as a very rare and very old, solid gold masonic ring, and some idiot will bite.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Your grandma found somebody elses property and you are going to sell it to make a profit. If you don't see how effed up that is you have serious issues to work through.

Most Masons are hard working people just like the rest of us. Despite what you read on this boards not every Mason is a politically connected millionare trying to ruin the world. I've got friends that are Shriners. They do more good for the kids and charitys in their town than any of the churches or government agencies. These guys are fire fighters, electricians, and machinist that work 40+ hours and struggle to stay middle class.

From the 10k mark and the condition of the ring I would say it belonged to one of those type of guys. It is a low grade gold that has obviously been worn more than a little bit. As Illusion said it looks like it might even be an heirloom at this point. Yet, all you can think about is how much money you can make off of somebody else's misery.

Run an ad on Craig's List and in the local paper. If the owner doesn't come up in a couple of weeks then consider selling it. In the mean time act with a little compassion.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

On the contrary, in the area I live in, I've never met a single "middle-class" mason, in fact, they literally own half of my county.

So, carry on.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Masons are all opportunists that see the world polarized into in two very distinct parts.

There are their lodge brothers and fellow masons that need to be protected from truth and justice, no matter how bad their evil and criminality.

That is the highest form of honor in masonry, to lie and deceive to protect your brothers from exposure and justice.

And there are "the profane" (the rest of us).
The profane exist only to be used, exploited, robbed, lied to and deceived.

That is the essence of freemasonry, and why secrecy and deception are so important to masons.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

precisely

Although, I could honestly care less of what masons are aware of this or not, I just know that whoever owned that ring has been a mason for a fair sum of time, and that ring more than likely was printed to the liking of that mason and it didn't come from some mass producing press, therefore, probably very valuable to the individual and I expect a large amount of money if that mason wants it back. Probably around 5000$ USD.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Masons are all opportunists that see the world polarized into in two very distinct parts.

Haha, don't you see the hypocrisy? Here you are making a claim about "all masons" and the claim is that they are the ones with polarized views. Categorical thinking is almost never right. You telling us how all masons view the world is preposterous on the face of it, but the fact that you criticize their view for being too black and white is hilarious.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Doubt if you find a legit loan shark or jeweler to buy a fraternal ring.They would be afraid of it being stolen.

Advertise it as a found fraternal ring without saying what fraternity and the area it was found at.

This ring has a value to some one or a family.

You would be surprised at the goodness that will come your way,by doing the right thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

You would be surprised at the goodness that will come your way,by doing the right thing.

That is very profound, and very true.

And precisely why masonry is not doing very well these days.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

I've done the right thing plenty of times, if it was a wedding ring I'd give it to the owner free of charge, more than happy to. I wouldn't accept a reward.

However, I just give a flying crap about masons and think that the ones at the top tier ruined it for the rest of them.

And all this CRAP i hear about masons donating more to the community than churches is a load of # and I don't want to #ing hear that crap anymore.

I've never seen a masonic lodge offering homes to the homeless or giving free food 7 days out of the week.

Bite me.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Then don't be surprised or indignant when you get treated like one.

Are you being serious in your posts? hahahaha? your joking ... right?

Obviously you are going to give the ring back regardless of who the person is or how much reward you may or may not get.

Obviously you are, because if you had lost that ring, you would want the person that found your ring to do the same ... right?

You are ... right?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
reply to post by Oneolddude

I've done the right thing plenty of times,

Then keep doing it mate.

There is no such things as brownie points in life you know

[edit on 14/3/10 by Horza]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Horza

Let me quote myself.

if it was a wedding ring I'd give it to the owner free of charge, more than happy to. I wouldn't accept a reward.

If this, friend, does not make it clearly apparent to you that I have no respect for Masons, and that is why I will accept no less than money for the return or department of this ring, then you sir, are not understanding what I am saying, or deliberately not trying to.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
What if it was a Mason's wedding ring?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Auguste133

I don't think I'd notice unless there was a large masonic sign on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join