It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

classes of survivalists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
People have many different attitudes about survival and go about it with different methods. Some people will want to strike up a new community, keeping what little they have left from the old world. Others will want big groups of people to scavenge the land, cities and anything else. Smaller groups of say 10-12 people may cultivate the forest to enrich the out put of edible food in a area. Lastly the individual would be the most aggressive, yet reclusive of the bunch.

The community- In the event of the end of the world as we know it, this group of people will stay inside a built up area. This group would try to stick to the ways they are used to to maintain a sense of normal. Unfortunately this group may be seen as having valuable supplies and fall victim to marauders. As it may happen, vectors for disease such as rodents, fleas, insects. Once medical supplies run out and food becomes scare, health will falter and this group could be faced with epidemics. However as long as life is good, this group is strong, and should be able to defend against all but the most dangerous attacks, i.e rouge military.

10-12 people (specialized groups)- These groups would be looking for better ground for seasonal survival. This group would most likely consist of close friends or hard core survivalist, trained in a variety of skills. Instead of farming this group may find it easier to sporadically plant berry bushes, banana trees and herbs so that if one area is destroyed others may last. This group may face challenges in security and constant movement. This group may also be the most likely to become marauders, stealing non organic necessities. The plus side is that with experience this group will function very smoothly.

The single man- This is either a fool or a very hardy individual. This will be a hunter/gatherer, that may or may not try to find trade with remnants of cities/towns. As there would not be any law enforcement, this individual would likely find being around unknown people very objectionable. If injured this person should be able to perform some advanced medical treatment and most minor first aid. This individual should either have a very secure structure with at least rudimentary alarms. Or this person should sleep in a camo shelter, off the ground and off paths.

This is how I see things going when it is the end of the world as we know it. The first group would be your best bet for raising kids. The group of 10-12 may try to raise a kid, unfortunately it will run into some tough times, more than likely during the first growing season.

All groups will face good and bad times. Proper training and the right mindset will help dramatically.

I imagine after things settle down and people have fallen into a rhythm and populations start to climb again, people will start trying to form governments. People will probably find groups which represent the government they like. Provided there is no interference from other countries, the development of fledgling governments could give rise to issues.

This is just something I've been thinking about.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Fairly good thinking, and it sounds like I fall into the fool category, but I think "your" fool is someone who finds themself thrust into this situation if I'm reading it correctly?
I guess each of us has their tactic (s) that theyll employ should such a condition arise that needs response like this.
I'll be hoping it never is needed, but if it ever is, I'll be helping those that need help.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Maybe you do fall into the fool category, maybe not. Some people know a lot and can do just fine alone in the wild. Others know they know nothing and rightly are scared of going alone into the wilderness. The unfortunate group of fools would be those that think they are in the first group, yet fall into the the second group.

These people may have some basic knowledge and would do well in a group if prompted for information, or took on a learning role. The fool just blunders about trying to remember relevant pieces of trivia they read at the dentists office or late night drunken discovery channel watching.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The community- In the event of the end of the world as we know it, this group of people will stay inside a built up area. This group would try to stick to the ways they are used to to maintain a sense of normal. Unfortunately this group may be seen as having valuable supplies and fall victim to marauders. As it may happen, vectors for disease such as rodents, fleas, insects. Once medical supplies run out and food becomes scare, health will falter and this group could be faced with epidemics. However as long as life is good, this group is strong, and should be able to defend against all but the most dangerous attacks, i.e rouge military

Part of what you say is dead on ...however the community is also held together by a clear and definitive set of laws , rules and guidelines that all have to accept and adhere to...

Within our group (and it is good sized) we have common sense laws and rules that would be placed into operation when TSHTF breaks.... There is a strong military protocol within this group. All people in this group were hand picked and for lack of a better sense of the word... cream of the crop.
We have designated meeting places, supplies and we would defend to a certain point and after that aspect... we take the attack to the enemy... pure and simple.
As for falling to mauraders and such... highly unlikely.... combat experienced people within this group and people from all walks of life in all different fields of expertise state and will show we could make a very long term stand of it...

Over a short period of time... there could essentially be an area that is fully devoid of crime because it would not be tolerated and those found guilty of certain crimes would be given the shortest trial in judicial history...

If the nation were to collapse.... we have our sources for advanced weapons and we would not hesitate to utilize those if needed....

new topics

top topics

join