It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For 2012, go to the source, and listen to Mayan Grand Elder Grandfather Cirilo Perez Oxlaj

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
In determining what you think 2012 will bring or not bring, would it not make sense to go to the source for what the Mayan's actually were/are predicting? AND, when they actually are predicting it?

For me, the source is Grand Elder Grandfather Cirilo Perez Oxlaj - leader of the National Mayan Council of Elders of Guatemala; Day Keeper of the Mayan Calendar; 13th generation Quiche Mayan Spiritual Leader; a founder and Grand Elder of the Continental Council of Elders & Spiritual Guides of the Americas; Extraordinary Ambassador in the Guatemalan government representing the indigenous pueblos; and an international lecturer on Mayan culture.

And this is what he has to say about it (my excerpts from the video below). Please flag this thread if you are so inclined so that more people will become aware that it is not the end of the world.

Every 5200 years we come to this point when the Earth becomes dark for a period of 60 to 70 hours… Many people take advantage of the Mayan calendar scaring our people with threatening words where it says that the world will be ending. So in this sense that I tell you to all my brothers do not be afraid. The sun will go dark, the planet Earth will not see the sun but we should understand it is like the New Year. The old year ended December 31st… tomorrow January 1st. Happy New Year! That is what we should do when the day comes.

We do not have a date to say that it is going to be the 12th of December.. it could be 2015, 2020 or further on. We are lost to the correct date.

[edit on 13/3/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is pretty much the way I look at it. I look at it as the dawning of a new era rather than the "end to all things." It is western culture that has taken this 2012 thing and turned it into "doom and gloom," not the ancient cultures.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I hope you understand why he is saying its the new year.....its because the long cycle calender (one of the three intertwined calenders that make up the mayan calender) is coming to an end. There's nothing significant about the date other than that. It is a time of celebration for the Mayan, not some apocalyspe thought of by ignorant westerners who dont understand how the mayan calenders operate

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

That's the whole point of the thread.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Yes, the thing they are predicting is 60 - 70 hours of darkness some time in the next 10 years or so and after that the "New Sun".

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yep. And it also confirms at the same time that SOMETHING SIGNIFICANT will happen, at least in his eyes. I don't know about you, but the earth staying dark for 60-70 hours is quite a big deal. How exactly does that happen?

This does not diminish 2012 in any way, unless you were expecting Hollywood's version.

And also, doesn't it seem that maybe the government knows about this and is trying to take advantage of this? Or spin it to their advantage?

Just a thought. Belittling 2012 is fine, but who is trying to make it big? Is it the fringe internet population that draws people's attention? Or is it hollywood?

This is interesting. I remember Benpadiah saying that the sky will go dark, and stars will not be visible in one of his threads...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
"We do not have a date to say that it is going to be the 12th of December.. it could be 2015, 2020 or further on. We are lost to the correct date."

"we are lost on the correct date"

dang, thats almost as bad as being able to go to the moon then 30 plus years later forgetting how you got there in the first place.

"we are lost on the correct date".
How can they be lost on the date? Its their calander!
But since it is an OLD ASS calander, I will give them the benefit of the doubt =).

IMPO- I dont think the world will end on 2012, obviously Im not privledged to that kind of information even if it were. I do think however, that it will mark a time in our history when the people of this planet acted like complete fools destroying donut shops and setting anything that is dry enough on fire.
Its the religious aspect and also the cultrual aspect that is going to mark the end of that year, not an incomming asteroid or other "natural occurences".

Devils Advocate- WTF do I know? Not a damn thing when it comes to our universes secrets.

Edit- CG
Edit Again- damn keyboard(Smash)

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs

And also, doesn't it seem that maybe the government knows about this and is trying to take advantage of this? Or spin it to their advantage?

Just a thought. Belittling 2012 is fine, but who is trying to make it big? Is it the fringe internet population that draws people's attention? Or is it hollywood?

Very good point there.
Although it may not be the "government", one school of thought on this goes like this, and I tend to agree with it:

www.mayanmajix.com...

At a time when we may soon expect a much expanded interest in the meaning of the Mayan calendar such interpretations of an event taking place on a special date are obviously very much welcomed by the defenders of the established order for the simple reason that they do not imply that we need to participate in a process of evolution of consciousness. Moreover, if the Mayan calendar is only about an event that happens in the sky what else would there be to do other than sit and wait with arms crossed for this event to take place? Fortunately, for the serious student of the Mayan calendar system, it has a much greater richness than this and may help people understand both the past and the future and at the same time provide a meaningful spiritual context for life.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
How can they be lost on the date? Its their calander!

If you really want to know the answer to that, then read this article about why it's not even important to know what the end date is. Perhaps that is why the Mayan people do not even bother with trying to correlate the long count date to the Gregorian calendar (which in my opinion is impossible anyway).

www.mayanmajix.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I really doubt Cirilo Perez Oxlaj knows what the original mayans were thinking, considering what little we found of the culture.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

I'm waiting for the fanatics to come on here and say, "Well, doesn't the bible say that the moon will turn red as blood and the sun as dark as sack cloth?" There will be panic.

That is why it is important that people be INFORMED....Deny ignorance. This thread, in my opinion, is a good start.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

He'd have a hell of a lot better idea than Western culture does. Yeah? I mean, after all, the Mayans ARE HIS CULTURE!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hey guys..First ever post..
Question..What would happen with "no sun" for 60-70 hours?
I'm no scientist but I'd say it would get very,very cold.
How cold I'm sure some expert can tell us but I would think it would cause a lot of issues..Anyone know enough to enlighten me??
BTW, I've been watching this site for ages and think it's great, except for the obvious trolls..

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
this was an interesting post thanks !

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Ah, so thats the tale of the 3 days of darkness, it occurs during the calendar rollover. Now that would be special.

Whats also interesting is a similar story reported by the ancient Egyptians, but in their report they had 3 days of Sun. The Egyptians said the tides changed and the Nile ran backward. The Sun would dip low in the sky but never set and then rise again.

So I guess where ever you are during this time, you would either get 3 days of dark or 3 days of light.

I assume the only thing strong enough to tilt the earth like that would be the galactic core. So it takes about 3 days to move through its influence.

Now if the earth tilted, wouldn't that cause massive earthquakes worldwide because of plate/fault stress and slippage? The Mayan and Egyptian reports I read never mentioned any earthquakes, but they may have neglected to report that detail if their area didn't experience any problems.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CAPT PROTON

Wel, I am sure there are going to be some ramifications of all of this. The real question is to what degree. Being a westerner, I am well aware that we live in a fear based, anxiety riddled culture. This is due to our own imaginations.... The anxiety is always worse than the reality.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Unfortunatley when (if it occurs at all) the 60-70hrs of darkness comes and passes it will have been man that created the havoc. So many years of fear mongering suddenly let loose.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by relap0]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
Ah, so thats the tale of the 3 days of darkness, it occurs during the calendar rollover. Now that would be special.

Whats also interesting is a similar story reported by the ancient Egyptians, but in their report they had 3 days of Sun. The Egyptians said the tides changed and the Nile ran backward. The Sun would dip low in the sky but never set and then rise again.

So I guess where ever you are during this time, you would either get 3 days of dark or 3 days of light.

I assume the only thing strong enough to tilt the earth like that would be the galactic core. So it takes about 3 days to move through its influence.

Now if the earth tilted, wouldn't that cause massive earthquakes worldwide because of plate/fault stress and slippage? The Mayan and Egyptian reports I read never mentioned any earthquakes, but they may have neglected to report that detail if their area didn't experience any problems.

Well if the magnetic poles changed like often predicted we could expect some pretty fantastic light shows right? That would account for 3 days of "sun" wouldn't it? The only way I could imagine three days of darkness is if the alleged "Nemesis" star eclipsed the sun at a very slow pace. However this is all merely speculation and to throw fuel on the fire. Keep it up ATS.

Sincerely,
soul

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by soultorent

Anybody familiar with The Night of the Triffids novel? It is remarkable in many respects. Back to the point - the novel starts with global, month+ long "night". The reason for this "night" is that the Solar system crossed cloud of "galactic dust".

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
It is western culture that has taken this 2012 thing and turned it into "doom and gloom," not the ancient cultures.

Yes!!! And they've done so only for profit!

It's not just sex that sells anymore. Doom sells too and it will make one rich!

[edit on 14-3-2010 by LiquidMirage]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join