It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Padilla Planned to Blow up Apt. Buildings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
In a document, released by the Dept. of Justice, Jose Padilla aka the "The Dirty Bomber" was planning to blow up residential apartment buildings in addition to setting off a dirty bomb. The document says that Padilla and an accomplice were planning rent multiple apartments in gas supplied buildings and set timers to detonate bombs. They also had their eyes set on hotels. The cities of interest were in New York, Florida and Washington D.C.. However Padilla said he was not able to follow thru because renting multiple apartments with the same identity would raise suspicions. Jose Padilla is currently be held in U.S. custody.

Suspected 'dirty Bomb' Plot Included Plan to Blow Up Apartment Buildings, Authorities Assert
"Padilla and the accomplice were to locate as many as three high-rise apartment buildings which had natural gas supplied to the floors," the government summary of interrogations revealed.

"They would rent two apartments in each building, seal all the openings, turn on the gas, and set timers to detonate the buildings simultaneously at a later time," the papers alleged.

The documents said al-Qaida officials were skeptical of Padilla's ability to set off a dirty bomb but were very interested in the apartment operation.
Padilla was to conduct an Internet search on buildings that had natural gas heating, open a bank account and obtain documents needed to rent an apartment. The plot called for blowing up 20 buildings simultaneously, but Padilla said he could not rent multiple apartments under one identity without drawing attention.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[Edited on 1-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I can not think of any reason that renting multiple apartments would �arouse suspicion,� at least as long as he had sufficient cash in his bank account to avoid credit check problems. An even easier approach would have been to set up a bogus company and rent the apartments under the guise of �corporate housing.�

Thankfully, they weren�t that smart.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Reid and Padilla were the dumb ones, I can only hope rest of Al-Qaeda is as duh as those guys were, but sadly I fear quite a few of them do have some brains, I just hope they never fulfill any their plans.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
i read this article before leaving for work today, then upon arriving at work i find out large portion of downtown detroit was being evacuated because of gas leaks. i guess nothing happened though, since i haven't heard more about it today.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I wonder if this guy Jose Padilla the Al Quaeda Terrorist is related to the man who disappeared with that Boeing 727 Trijet whose name was Ben Charles Padilla, Jr. and is there a Terrorist link?

www.strategypage.com...

The State Department has a reward for him!

top topics

join