It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever had a geoduck?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I was watching Dirty Jobs and they kept playing with a gueduck. It is an oyster with a very long tubeler foot. The thing is so bizarre, phalic, and disgusting looking that I can't imagine the person who decided to try to eat it.

I have seen heard it used on cooking shows. But has anyone had, how does it taste?

admin edit: Corrected title per request.

[edit on 3-15-2010 by Springer]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Ever eat a booger?

pretty much like that.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hi nixie,

It's actually spelled Geoduck, and yes I've eaten a lot of them. We dug for them in tidal marshes around Vancouver Island when I was a kid.

The siphon can be about 3-4 feet long depending on the age of the clam, so you may have to dig down that deep just to get to the shell.

They taste great chopped up and flash fried quickly in butter and some shallots, or can be added to a stir fry or seafood chowder.

The texture can be a bit rubbery or crunchy depending on how you cook them. If you batter and deep-fry use a lite batter with just a bit of sugar mixed in to brown it faster. If cooked too long you may as well be biting into a car tire.

Now get a shovel and bucket, head down to the beach and get some.
Oh, and invite me for dinner......

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Yummy! ... Sounds like they might taste more like a clam or a mussel than an oyster.

In saying that, cooked oyster can be very mild, especially with a flavoursome sauce/topping.

Oyster Kilpatrick, steamed oyster with ginger and shallot, Carpetbabg Steak ... that one is pretty good, if not a little tacky

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

heh ... what sauces do you like with your boogers?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Can a mod correct my spelling in the title please?

I dunno guys, it just looks too weird to eat. And I can eat a raw oyster.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Horza

Yummy! ... Sounds like they might taste more like a clam or a mussel than an oyster.

It most definitely is a clam, although mussels and oysters are also bivalve mollusks they are very different. Clams burrow down into sand and mud and need to be dug up at low tide. You find them by looking for feeding holes at the surface, sometimes with small bubbles coming up where the siphon has been retracted when the tide is out.

You'll never find clams attached to rocks and other surfaces like you do mussels or oysters.

And anyone going out to harvest any bivalves, be sure to know the water and area you intend to go. These things are filter feeders and basically an intestine.

Any pollution, sewage, or toxin will be strongly present in the shellfish.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I love mussels. In a good ol' fashioned garlic butter sauce. Maybe sprinkled with green onions. Wish more people in my house liked this sort of thing.

I have picked my own clams(learned the hard way that smaller is better) and mussels.

I almost felt guilty that when your shadow passes over the mussels their is a sucking sound as they close up and try to hide. lol

Both clams and mussels are a lot of work.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Sweet Jesus people, anything that looks like snot should be left alone and not eaten.

What's wrong with you people........:shk:

top topics

join