It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WalMart Fires Associate Of Year, Cancer Patient For Medical Marijuana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

www.tokeofthetown.com

espite medical marijuana being legal in Michigan, WalMart has fired a cancer patient and former employee of the year who tested positive for the drug, which was recommended by his doctor.

"I was terminated because I failed a drug screening," ex-WalMart employee Joseph Casias told WZZM-13.

In 2008, Casias was Associate of the Year at the WalMart store in Battle Creek, Mich., despite suffering from sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Ugh, yet again we have corporate stupidity combined with a fear of plants.

Seriously, this is the dumbest thing ever. You have an employee that is doing an amazing job, is dying, and wants to relieve the pain by using a plant, and the corporate system has no room for that.

Well ladies and gents, I hope this guy can find another job with a company that has some sense.

www.tokeofthetown.com

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I personally would never use marijuana as a pain reliever, though I understand why some do, and I agree--especially if he has a prescription from his doctor--he should be exempt from having to "pass" that part of a urinalysis. Unfortunately a company as large as Wal-Mart is in a position where they can afford to let go of a number of employees without feeling any remorse (financially or otherwise).

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet

www.tokeofthetown.com

espite medical marijuana being legal in Michigan, WalMart has fired a cancer patient and former employee of the year who tested positive for the drug, which was recommended by his doctor.

"I was terminated because I failed a drug screening," ex-WalMart employee Joseph Casias told WZZM-13.

In 2008, Casias was Associate of the Year at the WalMart store in Battle Creek, Mich., despite suffering from sinus cancer and an inoperable brain tumor.

Hi OP, can I just pull you on one minor point. I think you should not add to the global cover-up by referring to Hemp as 'marijuana'. This was part of the plan to demonise this wonder PLANT.

I refer your readers to the true history of HEMP and how like all things good for us e.g. Personal Freedom etc has been corrupted by ..... well you know.

The Marijuana Conspiracy

Thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

any chance of a law suit?
since it was legal

or can walmart do that

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Nearly everyone I've ever known (young people, some aged) that worked in Wal-Mart or 'similar' outlets, smoked marijuana. They were either pot-fiends or addicted to something else.

Pretty much all of their employees is addicted to something, their demographic of employees is young kids in high-school, between school, or drop-outs. Most of them smoke marijuana. Anyone who has ever been in a Wal-Mart ever, knows this.

So I don't know what kind of pathetically infantile stunt they're trying to pull with this. I don't know who broke the story first, Wal-Mart trying to jump the gun before the employee broke the story, or what, but it doesn't matter. It's utterly stupid. Wal-Mart does not hold a "standard" for their employees. They hire anyone at any time, it really doesn't matter. "Whomever puts up with the most bullcrap without making a fuss..", is their main bullet point on the 'who-to-hire' sheet. Low/Middle-America folks... what do you expect?

It would be like McDonald's firing one of their employees because they were fat.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

That does it. I'm shopping at Target.
Everyone should.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Who is behind the criminalization of marijuana? The AMA? Supposedly it is the alcohol and tobacco lobby in an effort to make a clear distinction between legal and illegal drugs, in order to keep THEIR alcohol and tobacco products in the public lime light and treated as "acceptable."

Last I heard 300,000 people die yearly from alcohol and cigarette related illness. What is wrong with this picture?

marijuana spurs brain cell growth in rats. Forbes online magazine 2005
www.procon.org...
Big difference between humans and rats they say...I just don't see it.
Here is more...

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's
www.cannabis.net...

Marijuana compound fights brain cancer: Study from the Examiner
www.examiner.com...

Marijuana Compound May Stop Breast Cancer From Spreading,
Study published by FOX News
www.foxnews.com...

Marijuana Compound May Fight Lung Cancer ABC News Health
abcnews.go.com...

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics:
www.bccare.net...

MARIJUANA MAY COMBAT PROSTATE CANCER
www.sanfranciscosentinel.com...

Marijuana Can Fight Prostate Cancer, Study Says
www.associatedcontent.com...

There are many more articles just like these.
You see what is happening here. Alcohol and tobacco are killing people and getting away with it because they have a powerful lobby working overtime telling lies.

WE THE PEOPLE just don't even figure into the equation.
So when marijuana becomes legal in your town -don't fight it.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Don't you have to smoke some pot to acquire the a-motivational syndrome needed to settle for a job at Walmart? They are going to loose a lot of good people. Back to hiring the octogenarians.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

That does it. I'm shopping at Target.
Everyone should.

I'm not sure how things are at Target now, but several years ago I was in the check out line and employees were coming over to wish my cashier good luck, saying they would come visit her, etc.. I asked her what was up and she told me she had cancer and was scheduled for a procedure the next day. I don't remember exactly what the procedure was, but it involved taking her bone marrow out, giving radiation (?) and/or chemo (?) and re-injecting her bone marrow (??). I asked her if that wasn't an experimental procedure--thinking insurance wouldn't pay for it. She said it was but TARGET was paying for it.. They had a pool of money they used for their employees who were in difficult situations.

You can bet I increased my patronage of Target after hearing that!

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Lookingup]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
or can walmart do that

From what I understand now they(I mean cooperation) can fire people for smoking.
So smoking weed I think would be considered the same if its legal somewhere the same as smoking..

I aint sure though..

reply to post by Lookingup

The same thing can be said for walmart and the Katrina incident. Alot of employees pulled together and got donations for a Katrina drive, walmart only put in I think it was 2g.. i cant remember exactly because it was a long time ago, which really turned me off of walmart, i go there if i have to, i dont buy anything there anymore. I would rather spend 20cents more at somewhere else than spend it at walmart.

[edit on 3/13/2010 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by ThichHeaded

Yep, just what I was going to say. I know that in Michigan a company can say that you are not alowed to smoke at all. They can then test u for nicotine or whatever and fire acordingly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

From what I understand now they(I mean cooperation) can fire people for smoking. So smoking weed I think would be considered the same if its legal somewhere the same as smoking.

Good point! ...unless you could classify weed as a pharmaceutical. I notice it says her doctor "recommended" it. If her doctor "prescribed" it, I think she'd have a great case against Walmart.

We all know you can pop pills all day and still keep your job. -reminds me of the video posted next...so funny. You have to see it.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is hysterical and true!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I smell a lawsuit. I worked for wal-mart before and they are a bunch of discriminatory @$$ holes. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't there a law that states if you fail a drug test your employer MUST give you the option to enter drug rehab instead of immediate firing? I know in my state there is. I would fight it if it were me.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

I think they can try and classify it as some bs like this..

Well you know 2nd hand smoking of weed, inhibits others functioning of whatever they are doing, then comes up wit some bs that it kills people and then bam she still fired..

I dont think this will go far, because if a smoker can get fire and its straight legal this case will not go far because yes its legal there but alot of places it isnt.

Just my 2 cents tho.. but i owe 1 to the government so you can have 1.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Yes this is hysterical. The brain knows its dying so it kicks into gear trying to undo the damage.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If he would have been prescribed hardcore narcotics, like oxycontin (a powerful opiate), would they have fired him for that, too?

(Oxycontin will make you fail a drug test as well, btw)

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beinion
I personally would never use marijuana as a pain reliever...

Not to derail this thread, but a statement like the above is an indication of why Walmart is scared of this plant.

Each of us, if given enough pain, would be motivated to use ANYTHING that promised some relief. Ask any migraine sufferer what they would do for relief.

Heroin, morphine are both derivatives from opium, but...I would NEVER use opium for pain relief...see how that sounds.

..Ex

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
we all have to remember that although it is legal in some states on a state level, it is illegal everywhere in the us on a federal level

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join