It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Removes Thomas Jefferson from Textbooks

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
The Jefferson Bible is excellent. It combines all 4 gospels into one coherent story without the miracles.

Members of the Senate are sworn in on it to this day unless they want to use another bible.

...swearin' on the bible or any other text hasnt kept anyone from being a low-life scoundrel, so whats the point?... oh, yeah, that OH SO IMPORTANT symbology stuff... nevermind...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
By "demoting" Jefferson they are emphasizing that the ideals and philosophies of such men who framed the Constitution are now less relevant to today. It may not be so today, but our children learning this revised history will believe Thomas Jefferson is an archaic thinker who owned slaves.

Maybe this is Jefferson reminding us from the great beyond that we need more philosophers birthing new ideas for approaching today's issues. It needs to be cool again to be smart. The internet provides us with greatest forum to philosophize and merge our thoughts, yet we are more polarized, causing us to neglect fresh views as we regurgitate talking points fed to us by media sources.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Ok calm down everyone. Wow. Thomas Jefferson was not removed from the textbooks and teachings. He was replaced in THAT ASSIGNMENT. Calm down, he's still in there.

And no offense, but the things they added in there, were things that are in either the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, that previous text books removed and wouldn't discuss. Yes, the term 'the laws of nature and nature's God'.... ya that was in the Declaration of Independence. Why should it not be discussed? Yes Christianity and Christian values placed a large roll in the founding of our nation. Why shouldn't that be discussed?

You guys act like there was censorship going on down there and they are changing history. Thats not the case. They are bringing back a part America's history that liberals forced out of the curriculum. No, religion or God should not be shoved down kids' throats, but it is part our nation's history. Many of your arguments are to ignore that, and in effect change our history. Thats wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I love a good Tex-ass bash. After years and years of hearing all of the bravado of how great Texans are and what they have done to make America great (I mostly heard all of this from Texans, mind you), it is refreshing to know that they will finally have to shut up because of all the things they have contributed in the near past to destroy America. This scholastic dismantlement, giving a base to the Bush antichrists (both), crazy cops who tazer old ladies and children and the list goes on. I hate Texas..........I messed with Texas and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarteye
By "demoting" Jefferson they are emphasizing that the ideals and philosophies of such men who framed the Constitution are now less relevant to today. It may not be so today, but our children learning this revised history will believe Thomas Jefferson is an archaic thinker who owned slaves.

You are right on. History is boring because what is taught has become a pack of lies. They claim Benjamin Franklin was an atheist. Now they will dismiss Jefferson as a slave owner. Frankly his admonitions against central banks I have never heard until this year. They have been rewriting history for a long time. But one good thing to come out of our children's lack of education about history is that once they do get interested in history, it is new and fresh and fascinating because they never heard any of it before.
What we need are homeschooling materials for everybody. We need people who know about fascinating books and materials to recommend them for our children. Men To Match My Mountains by Lamb was amazing. We used to read from the Dreamers of the American Dream series. They had one on each side of the civil war. We need someone to write a book for young people about the excesses of the FED and banking in America, explaining fractional reserve banking to our children.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

If there is one principle more deeply rooted in the mind of every American, it is that we should have nothing to do with conquest.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Thomas Jefferson

I can see why they would want to remove him from the textbooks.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The Board removed Thomas Jefferson from the Texas curriculum's world history standards on Enlightenment thinking, “replacing him with religious right icon John Calvin.” From the Texas Freedom Network's live-blog of the board hearing: Board member Cynthia Dunbar wants to change a standard having students study the impact of Enlightenment ideas on political revolutions from 1750 to the present. She wants to drop the reference to Enlightenment ideas (replacing with “the writings of”) and to Thomas Jefferson. She adds Thomas Aquinas and others. Jefferson’s ideas, she argues, were based on other political philosophers listed in the standards. We don’t buy her argument at all. Board member Bob Craig of Lubbock points out that the curriculum writers clearly wanted to students to study Enlightenment ideas and Jefferson. Could Dunbar’s problem be that Jefferson was a Deist? The board approves the amendment, taking Thomas Jefferson OUT of the world history standards. We’re just picking ourselves up off the floor. The board’s far-right faction has spent months now proclaiming the importance of emphasizing America’s exceptionalism in social studies classrooms. But today they voted to remove one of the greatest of America’s Founders, Thomas Jefferson, from a standard about the influence of great political philosophers on political revolutions from 1750 to today.

Specifically the philosophy of the Enlightenment was a motivating factor in much if not all of the founding father's thoughts…it informs not just the declaration but the constitution as well and Calvin was not part of that inspiration…Calvin was a little dictator in his Swiss canton.

"Teachers in Texas will be required to cover the Judeo-Christian influences of the nation's Founding Fathers, but not highlight the philosophical rationale for the separation of church and state." “I reject the notion by the left of a constitutional separation of church and state,” said David Bradley, a conservative from Beaumont who works in real estate. “I have $1,000 for the charity of your choice if you can find it in the Constitution.”

He may reject it but it is enjoined in the bill of rights whether he likes it or not.

Curriculum standards also will describe the U.S. government as a "constitutional republic," rather than "democratic," and students will be required to study the decline in value of the U.S. dollar, including the abandonment of the gold standard.

Conservatives beat back multiple attempts to include hip-hop as an example of a significant cultural movement.

The Board refused to require that “students learn that the Constitution prevents the U.S. government from promoting one religion over all others.”

The irony is that the Baptists of Virginia requested Jefferson to include this to protect them from the Church of England.

"Other changes seem aimed at tamping down criticism of the right. Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include 'how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.' The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States."

Heavens to bid that they should learn that his famous list was nothing.

"They also included a plank to ensure that students learn about 'the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s, including Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association.'" The Dallas Morning News noted that "high school students will learn about leading conservative groups from the 1980s and 1990s – but not about liberal or minority rights groups."

Hate to tell you guys this but the history of America is the history of all of us…liberal, conservative…black and white…asian and Hispanic.

"Board member Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands, objected to a standard for a high school sociology course that addressed the difference between sex and gender. It was eliminated in a 9-to-6 vote. She worried that a discussion of that issue would lead students into the world of 'transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else.'"

Does she think that kids don't already know about these things? More specifically does she think that knowing about them will lead kids to become them? If so she knows nothing about human sexuality.

"Members voted to polish up references to the American 'free enterprise' economic system and removed most mentions of 'capitalism,' a word that board member Ken Mercer, R-San Antonio, said has a negative connotation."

Capitalism has a negative connotation? I wonder why?

"Board members also rejected requiring history teachers and textbooks to provide coverage on the late U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy and new Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, while the late President Ronald Reagan was elevated to more prominent coverage."

Ya just can't hide recent history children just cause you don't like it.

With all five minority members dissenting, the conservative-dominated panel voted 10-5 to endorse the proposed standards after rejecting an effort to specifically mention that Tejanos were among the fallen heroes of the Alamo. "I am very distressed," said Mary Helen Berlanga, D-Corpus Christi, who sponsored the unsuccessful amendment. "Until we are ready to tell the truth about history, we don't have a good history or social studies textbook."

Are they still fighting that stupid war? All it will take is a field trip to the Alamo to learn the truth of that.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 3/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yet another reason many Texans decide to teach their children at home. Schools have become too controlled, there's no more free thinking.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

You sir are a true patriot. These quotes and the ideas of our for fathers must not be forgotten nor cast aside.

There is a line that each of us must draw in the sand, if we do not cast a mark on what is the factor that turns us then we have no unity and without that we have no chance.

Each free American has the right to choose. We can choose to accept or deny, that is the freedom that thankfully is still afforded to us but the window is closing......... What will you do when the line is crossed?

That is a question we must all ask ourselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Hmmm, yes, this goes right along with the current demonization, in the MSM, of "followers of the constitution" (lol sounds like that could be a name of some kind of organized group, I dunno, just a passing thought. it`s almost humorous if it weren`t true, to picture a government opposing a group of citizens who only insist that the constitution which the government is based on be upheld and followed).
Perhaps they are worried that these kids will grow up and realize, like we did, that this great american thinker was an advocate of marijuana farming (and it wasn`t JUST for hemp ropes, tents and army uniforms, don`t kid yourself. our forefathers smoked it, how do you think they were able to open their minds more than anyone else had before and draft such a document, creating a government seperate from religion and giving the power to all citizens equally?), and had his own take on the Bible. And perhaps they would have come to the same conclusion as I did: that MOST OF IF NOT ALL OF our forefathers would be shocked to see where our country has been led to at the hands of our government (specifically over the past 60-100 yrs). Well I guess now they won`t have the option to come to any such dangerous and thought provoking conclusions. I wonder what other historical "renegades" will be tactfully removed from our childrens required education or as I like to think of it: mandatory indoctrination. Perhaps George Washington should be removed as well. After all, he once faught in the English army but then decided that his government was not looking out for the best interests of it`s citizens and then fought for the Continental(or revolutionary) army guess that makes him a dangerous character... a dissident and a traitor. Heck today he`d be called a terrorist. Wouldnt want these kids to have anyone to look up to once they start realizing things. Wouldn`t want any inspiration conveniently placed io the schools.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Removing this person would be unacceptable. Having said that, I urgently implore everyone, not just parents, to peruse a local school textbook, this month. Just find a neighbor or someone who will let you read a chapter or two. We are ignoring this propaganda machine at our own peril. Signed-teacher who reads.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I dont think this is related only to history in regards of the educational system. The business of education doesnt really care to teach critical "thinking" or really any thoughts other than the simply answered questions like names, dates, and "sound bite" sized reasons. The more students that score well on their standardized tests, the more text books they sell, the higher the profits and none of the cluttering effects of "thinking".

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Texas is very corrupt, that's for sure. Big on promoting the illusion that it's not. Some good and a lot not so good. Not sure what the motives are for this situation with Jefferson?

If you get behind "Rulers of Evil", you will realize that, England and "America" where the two strong protestant anti-Catholic, anti-New World Order nations (a movement growing throughout Europe at that time) and that 97% of the colonists (including George Washington) wanted healthy, happy and positive relations with England. "America" was happy and eager to be an extension of Protestant England. The friction over tea, taxes, currency where cultivated and anti-England promoted (via the Masons) by the Jesuits (who direct the Masons unbeknown to them).

In reality, the split with England should never have happened and would never have happened if it weren't for the Jesuits angling to destroy and conquer both England and "America" for the benefit of the Vatican and a New World Order of Catholicism. The "States" becoming the Church States of Febronius, the re-unification of Protestant-Catholic into Bishop managed components for the Vatican. Basically the Jesuits directed the Slaughter of England and "America" and extending their conquest into the Civil war and post civil war then corporatized American into Church States.

After the Revolutionary War the "Wonderfulness" of the Independence was promoted by motivating people to it's greatness with Super Heroes known as Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc.. This took people attention off of why and who? The true founding fathers where Ricci/Richey, Caroll and other Jesuit subversives who managed the events both in "American" and throughout Europe. Perhaps Texas is leading the way towards the promotion of this conquest becoming more public knowledge and promoted by the NWO as a good thing. The Supreme Being, works in mysterious ways, and things always serve higher purposes. Perhaps the uSA isn't to remain the Church States that (behind the scenes) it is today. I do believe the uSA serves a higher purpose for the world, yet to be realized.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic

With all five minority members dissenting, the conservative-dominated panel voted 10-5 to endorse the proposed standards after rejecting an effort to specifically mention that Tejanos were among the fallen heroes of the Alamo. "I am very distressed," said Mary Helen Berlanga, D-Corpus Christi, who sponsored the unsuccessful amendment. "Until we are ready to tell the truth about history, we don't have a good history or social studies textbook."

Are they still fighting that stupid war? All it will take is a field trip to the Alamo to learn the truth of that.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

[edit on 3/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

This sort of thing is rather embarrassing and should be for conservatives. Having said that american students have been getting a good spread of teaching about minority contributions.

But hay most of us learned about the French navy at York Town but you will be lucky to ever hear about the 7,000+ French troops on the ground there.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

I found this quote quite appropriate:

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. Thomas Jefferson

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Yes, a lot of what Jefferson and MANY other people in history can teach us about ourselves and the world we live in.

I think behind mathematics and language skills, history is the most important subject for our children.

If no one knows history, we are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muons200
***snip***
The schools are taking great chunks of history and not teaching it, or are picking bits and discarding others. ***snip***

If there is a finite number of hours to teach history at schools and history happens all around us at a fairly constant rate... -

Doesn't it then make sense that some stuff is removed and other stuff is put in?

Isn't it also good that some false history is replaced by history researched and written by scholars rather than what the victors decided to write.

Think of a history book about recent years written by the former presidents Bush Sr. and Bush Jr.

Scary thought...

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
***snip***

If no one knows history, we are doomed to repeat it.

History repeats itself fairly regularly because the driving forces behind mankind are more or less the same.

Only the sofistication of the killing methods or the complexness of manipulation changes.

We only know that we repeat history because we read about it.

Knowing that wars had happened and was stupid (Vietnam and Corea) didn't stop Bush and Bush from starting new ones.

[edit on 14.3.2010 by HolgerTheDane]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dookie Master

Sorry, i am referring to this North Carolina Schools May Cut Chunk Out of U.S. History Lessons. If things go the way certain people want it to, it won't be and that's scary.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, Thomas jefferson was one of the greatest thinkers of government ever to have lived, he is an integral part of our history, there are libraries, schools, universities, hospitals that carry his name because the people that. His quotes inspire freedom and thinking, and of course you dont want that for your kids do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join