It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Removes Thomas Jefferson from Textbooks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

It is as I have said here before, all this is the increasing brazeness of the evangelical "Christian" cultists to replace our system with a militant theocracy. They don't even hide their intentions anymore and will tell you straight up the Constitution permits Christian rule.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am hoping the article is bunk. Can anyone prove the article is bunk? This I really am hoping it is bunk.

if this is the truth, oh Good Lord save us from your followers.

Idiocy, hypocritical, ironic, moronic. There are just not strong enough words to describe it.

So the Texas that totes patriotism and the Constitution the most, and freedom of speech and blah blah blah. Is going to block the very person who wrote the Constitution from its books?

Where is the double face palm pic when you need it?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
this could be an attempt by the government to block out all thoughts of freedom

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Free People of Earth

This has nothing to do with the federal government and everything to do with religious extremists in Texas using the state's buying clout to dictate to the rest of the states. They knew damn good and well what they were doing...it has been a matter of heated debate there for weeks.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is simply because Jefferson warned us against the private banks controlling our money supply like the Federal Reserve does now. He said if we did that, we would end up as slaves, which is EXACTLY where we are now. Once the new world order got control of our money, they bought all the press and all the textbook companies and lo and behold they start rewriting history. This is why I was never taught that all our tax money go to the private bank Federal Reserve owners - Rothschilds and Rockefellers. Nope, they left that important little fact out of my education and I had to learn it from reading books and through the Internet.

They don't want the slaves learning any more about this "dangerous" terrorist. Just like our own Homeland Security was setup against the American people and not some terrorists hiding in caves. That's the lie they tell the stupid people that get their news from the new world order's mass media.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
After many years of seeing all sorts of educational projects tried (and failed) I have come to the conclusion that the effective education of children should not be in any shape, fashion, or form connected to the elected governments or permanent civil service. Education should be local, reflecting the philosophical or religious point of view shared by the families involved.

Education controlled by government from the top down is a very successful tool for the engineering of a society down or up, but it does not produce the most vibrant of societies. A rich diversity of approaches in the education of children produces a varied and robust civilisation, and it was this approach that quickly forged the USA into a nation of extraordinary vision and innovation.

As a parent (and grandparent and great-grandparent...) I strongly believe in diverse approaches to education, and am absolutely convinced that the parents are the final authority in the education of children. And although some parents are idiots, I much prefer a system of education that is rooted in individual family decisions rather than monolithic decrees from Boards of Education or State government or Parliament.

I view as suspect and dead-on-arrival governmental decisions on the appropriate historical narrative to impart to the teeming masses who need to be groomed in a particular way of thinking so as to serve their overlords.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I have to disagree.

We need national standards of education. Our children are being short changed left and right while school boards play politics with their education and this is a prime example.

We are falling behind in just about every measure... science...math...reading etc. I don't think the federal government should run schools but what my kid learns in Virgina should be the same thing he learns in Texas. But no one group should be saying what that is.

If you want to home school fine but I don't think a bunch of fanatics should have the right or the power to dictate what my or your child should learn.

I also they should stop teaching to the test. That is not learning...that is mimicry. They need to learn the tools to think for themselves.

this kind of crap makes us the laughing stock of the developed world.

[edit on 3/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iMacFanatic
reply to post by Pellevoisin

If you want to home school fine but I don't think a bunch of fanatics should have the right or the power to dictate what my or your child should learn.

[edit on 3/13/2010 by iMacFanatic]

You are in part making my point. No one should be responsible for the education of your children but you.

There is precious little to be taught by "national standards" -- those guidelines will always flow from the agenda of someone else upon your children.

The two keys are accountability and responsibility and both of those lie with the parents not with institutions of the State.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
...in that sensationalist article (from aol, like they employ REAL journalists), did it say tj would be removed from every historical issue he is noted for - or - just the particular analysis below?...

...from the article...

the original curriculum asked students to "explain the impact of Enlightenment ideas from John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Voltaire, Charles de Montesquieu, Jean Jacques Rousseau and Thomas Jefferson on political revolutions from 1750 to the present

...maybe they thought he was getting too much coverage... i wonder if they teach he was a white supremacist misogynist, owning over 600 slaves... if they do, i bet they make excuses for his myopic view of humanity...

...i dont side with these morons but i do understand how they got so retarded... public school textbooks in the usofa have always been slanted and, in many cases, slanted so far to the right that its nothing more than propaganda...

..."treat 'em like mushrooms - keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em crap" - thats the mantra for public schools, always has been and thats not a problem that only texas has...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I guarantee you that when the SHTF Texas will be the last state standing.

Take my advice, if you can in any way get to Texas when the power grid fails, or the satellites black out, or zombies attack, or the federal government decides to open up the FEMA camps do it.

They may not do everything right but they're line of thinking for the most part is.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free People of Earth
this could be an attempt by the government to block out all thoughts of freedom

And make you eat candied apples too.. I mean it could be... Or, do you like to watch bad sitcoms? It could be an attempt to make you watch cougar town, 24/7 !

Wow, the implications..

COULD BE JUST A DUMB CONCEPT.. Nahhh

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
HAHA! I love this state ya'll. I am sure it is because they think Jefferson had a few illegitimate children with one of his slaves, but that's Texas for you, bash the gays and interracial couples. People in the cities of Texas don't really do this, it is the people out in the pastures and small towns that have zero common sense, intelligence, or independent thought.
www.monticello.org...
www.anusha.com...
The Monticello was Jefferson's estate so it is a little bias.

I was privileged enough to go to a decent public school in Texas. They never once mentioned religion or any of that nonsense.

I do remember we had a semester a year of class dedicated to 'Texas History,' which revolved around Sam Houston, James Bowie(Bowie Knife), William B. Travis, General Santa Anna(Evil), Stephen F. Austin, and the Alamo(REMEMBER THE ALAMO).

Every Texan that went to public school can tell you more about the history of Texas than anything else. More than U.S. history, church, and football combined! What a waste!

Did you know Texas is the only state that can raise its flag to the same height as the U.S. flag? It is because we were once our own country. It is also a law for us to balance our budget every year, something I think the U.S. should consider.

OH man, I forgot Davey Crockett! Coonskin hat and all.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A violent revolutionary isn't what TPTB want you to be thinking about. Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson will be the first to go if history gets altered. Its fairly disturbing that this type of change is happening over generations, and if people don't do something about it soon, they never will.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by time91]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by traveler928
I guarantee you that when the SHTF Texas will be the last state standing.

Take my advice, if you can in any way get to Texas when the power grid fails, or the satellites black out, or zombies attack, or the federal government decides to open up the FEMA camps do it.

They may not do everything right but they're line of thinking for the most part is.

You mean thinking, like overlooking one of the fathers of modern day freedom and American ideas? And Texas will probably be the first state to officially probe the ideas, practices and beliefs of it citizens to ensure such are to the standards of Texas freedom...
For the most part the last place to go to screw who you want, dress how you want, drink when you want or smoke what you want, but they sure do promote freedom

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

What Texas does has no effect on the other states text book purchases. I was responsible for the history textbook adoption at the school I worked at a year ago, each large company(Holt, Houghton Mifflin, Etc...) will produce an individualized text for each state. One I can certainly remember being very individual was the eighth grade history book because the curriculum was state history, which has to be individual.

Also, we were in very close contact with the companies rep the year after the purchase so we could let them know what changes in the actual text needed to occur.

In another interesting note about modern text books, they are being supported by more technology than ever before, so the instructor can literally pop in a disk and play a PowerPoint presentation for chapter and section reviews. These are much easier to work with (print, present) and they allow states which do not have the money for full-time instructors to hire under-qualified, non-licensed teachers to teach the material. Sort of making the education "dummy proof". This happens mostly in the "non-tested" courses such as history, pe and some grades of science. It is a very sad that it has come to this...

Finally, the individual states have jurisdiction over what the students learn within the home state. Only recently with the advent of No Child Left Behind and the ABC standards has the federal government ventured into the public school systems curriculum and standards.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Dookie Master]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
They took him out of WORLD History...not American History, where I'm sure he's covered. Why waste time talking about him twice?

But, if Texas has a problem with Jefferson, it's because of what he did to the bible...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I kind of agree, Texas is so conservative it will be the last state to amend or change anything. So, you know what you are getting when you live here and as long as you are happy with the way things are, then Texas is the perfect place.

Now if you are for same-sex marriages, religion out of the government, marijuana reform, and being able to buy liquior on Sundays then Texas is a pretty backwards society and will be the last state to apply change.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you think that's bad, you better check out the entire list and see how bad it really is.

Texas Textbook MASSACRE: 'Ultraconservatives' Approve Radical Changes To State Education Curriculum

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Between Texas and North Carolina cutting out history before the civil war, no darn wonder the kids in the public school system are idiots...they are being taught a revised dumbed down version of it.

North Carolina teaches the hitory of the United States before the Civil War.

The eighth grade curriculum in North Carolina is titled "North Carolina history within the history of the United States." The state board decided this because NC's history is the history of the US. Native peoples, Colonial beginnings, slavery, revolutionary war battlefield, Civil War battlefield, industrial revolution, Civil Rights protests, etc...

I am not sure where you found your information, but I will supply a link for you to look into the history standards of NC.

North Carolina Standard Course of Study: Eighth Grade Social Studies

NCSCOS: Eleventh Grade

Although, as a former educator I do agree completely with your assessment of NC's terrible education record, 48th or 41st which ever (nobody brags about fighting for the basement). The main problem with the education system in NC and many other states is Social Promotions and the lack of adequate funding as I mentioned in my above post.

[edit on 13-3-2010 by Dookie Master]

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Pamie

The Jefferson Bible is excellent. It combines all 4 gospels into one coherent story without the miracles.

Members of the Senate are sworn in on it to this day unless they want to use another bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join