It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it a waste of time trying to influence people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You can talk to people and try but I think you might just end up with your tongue on the floor.

For those that are wondering, the are others, different from TPTB.

I know that you think that they can put you in a FEMA camp and end your life, this is true. But there are others. This is true.

Sorry no links. Take care.---------------------

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

For those that are wondering, the are others, different from TPTB.

I know that you think that they can put you in a FEMA camp and end your life, this is true. But there are others. This is true.

What do you mean "there are others?" Are you saying that there are some people employed by the Federal Government who would refuse to put American people into FEMA camps?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes, it's worthless to argue to convince other people.

Debating, on the other hand, will usually make you strengthen your own opinion. You will learn things yourself by trying to convince others.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I am in sales....and I'm quite good at it and I can tell you that there is a science and an art to influencing people and it's not all that hard. It's going on all the time.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
All you can do is inform people of the facts.

In the end know that: They can lie to you but they they can't lie to themselves.

The stats as I understand them.
33% = agree with you
33% = disagree with you
33% = up for grabs

Sometimes the stats go haywire and freethinkers end up being in the minority. This is known as a 1984 scenario. Welcome to today.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Nope, but if you can't do it, then you just can't do it...

If your a manipulator it's not a waste of time!

People are incredibly stupid, (here in america I know, not sure of the other countries, canadas aight
).

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I believe you can, IF they are really looking for answers...

One of the few good friends I have on ATS, I believe was changed by my attempts to open his mind, tremendous change over more than a year of fighting. I also believe this member has changed my outlook tons...

CAN BE DONE

but

it took a couple hundred posts

thanks friend, you know who you are - you are fricking YODA now!

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Is it a waste of time trying to influence people?

It depends on your objective.

Trying to "convince" someone through rational debate and facts is rarely succesful. Facts are not a means by which people may be convinced. Facts only become facts after belief allow someone to perceive an idea as fact. However, if your obective is to supply someone with a catalyst for thought by exposing them to ideas, withthe understanding that they will use or not use them as they please...this can often be succesful. Their opinion may remain the same, or even change in a direction you hadn't considered. But if your goal is simply to expose them to an idea, that is easy enough to do.

However, if you have a particular end result that you wish for them to manifest...if you truly wish to "change" someone, as one might carve a block of wood with a particular end result in mind...this may sometimes be possible. But the methods of accomplishing this rarely involve "debate." It's much easier to allow someone to come to your conclusion than to convince them to accept it.

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I know exactly how you feel. We all have our convictions, our beliefs, and things we claim to KNOW for certain are true. Sometimes it feels like trying to combat a brick wall when attempting to sway someone. This is especially heartbreaking when its on a topic you actually do know something about and yet despite the logic and truth in your side of the argument the other person decides to cling to blind baseless beliefs.

Sometimes I think other humans are a waste of time but then I remember that I too was just like them. Empathy is the only thing that keeps me going, the ability to recognize that we are all human and we all make mistakes and we all believe some pretty weird stuff... especially here on ATS

new topics

top topics

join