It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do police really have quotas???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
After watching this video I felt compelled to post a topic.

www.youtube.com...

My question to all LEO out there is. Do police really have summons and arrest quotas that they have to adhere to or face retribution from superiors?

I have witnessed some of the events described in this video as recently as yesterday. They have someting around where I live that has been appropriately dubbed 'task-force thursday' where task force and city police mass in a certain area and stop as many people as possible walking and driving with no probable cause often writing bogus summons which are later thrown out en masse. Other than the fact that this is highly illegal and often involves illegal search I always wondered what the motivation for these nefarious activities was. I will also point out that this only happens in the poorer communities and is never covered in the news so most affluent people who have never witnessed this first hand would be hard pressed to see it as the regular occurance that it is. This has been going on regularly for over one year in this particular community. Can it be chalked up to quotas?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Think I posted this at a bad time so. Bumping for responses.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes they do, at least in my local police department. Patrol officers are mandated to make at least 5 DWI arrests per year and are required to make at least 25 traffic stops per month.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
TBH some in fact do even though it is illegal. They won't be posted but they are enforced by superiors. If you have evidence (such as what is going on on thursdays) you need to get into contact with some alphabet agencies. FBI for starters I believe. Don't expect results over night but if you stay with it the feds will usually stay on it. Whats better is to get in and know someone on the force to talk to the feds for you. They definitely won't ignore most of them. Good Luck.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
TBH some in fact do even though it is illegal. They won't be posted but they are enforced by superiors. If you have evidence (such as what is going on on thursdays) you need to get into contact with some alphabet agencies. FBI for starters I believe. Don't expect results over night but if you stay with it the feds will usually stay on it. Whats better is to get in and know someone on the force to talk to the feds for you. They definitely won't ignore most of them. Good Luck.

Thursday's ?

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 22-250

He said that Task Force Thursday which they go and write as many as possible. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
OF COURSE MOST COPS HAVE QUOTA'S...but they call them' performance goals' so it does not sound so bad.

The idea is that we citizens are so awful that we are expected to break the law constantly, and by this logic the cops should have easy pickings. but we all know that if a cop is facing trouble for not arresting enough people, he will simply arrest and charge and when the cases get thrown out they do not care...they got their quota.

We the people suffer, but cops do not care about that.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
i can say that as far as my department goes, no, we do not have quotas. we have some guys who hardly make any arrests each year and then some who make a lot. the goal of our department is more to respond to situations and be proactive just through presence. i myself tend to give out far more warnings than tickets. i also don't make traffic stops for things that i do myself, such as talking on the phone. this is because i don't want to be a hypocrite. i've talked to my friends who are in other departments in the area and they all say they have no written quotas, as they are illegal. however, one specific department i i know of will have supervisors tell you to up your stats if you aren't writing many tickets or making arrests. it all depends on the department. i also know some officers who set their own personal goals for each shift they work, like to write 1 or 2 traffic tickets each shift they work. i don't do this either.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Thank you for the replys peace officers especially. I was trying to get a general consensus of how widespread this thing was. I'm assuming in more population dense areas this type of thing is more prominent. As for the task force Thursdays unless I sit near there with a camera or get a ride along, I don't know how I would get proof. One things for sure you don't wanna be out on the street at that time. Also even though I'm pretty friendly with a few officers I don't know if theyed be down to get their brothers in hot water.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
No, not in PA. At the state level anyway.
Not any local departs I had /work with.

But mind you, there is a very large number of Departments throughout the state-not a large State Police force (5000ish). Due to the recent cuts in the Local Departments the State Police are even more strechted out as they have to take over the areas losing police coverage.

I just don't see it. Cops are usually way to busy with the run of the mill, day to day, opearions to focus on specfic quotas.

Now, a specialized unit, like D.U.I. task force-maybe, but they can't make people be drunk-they either are or not. JMO.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If cop did not have quota's, we would not be reading about abuses like this:

CAMDEN — A former city police officer pleaded guilty Friday that he planted evidence on people he would later arrest and conducted illegal search warrants, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.

Kevin Parry, 29, admitted before U.S. District Judge Robert B. Kugler that from May 2007 until October 2009, while on duty as a uniformed police officer with the Camden Police Department, he engaged in a conspiracy with at least four other Camden officers to deprive persons in New Jersey of the free exercise and enjoyment of rights, privileges and immunities.
The other officers were not identified by name. Parry faces up to 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine. Kugler scheduled sentencing for June 24.

Parry — who joined the force in 2006 and resigned in November — admitted that he charged people with planted evidence, threatened certain individuals with arrest using planted evidence if they did not cooperate with law enforcement, conducted illegal searches without a search warrant or without consent, stole drugs and money during illegal searches and arrests, paid for cooperation and information with illegal drugs and prepared false police reports.
Parry admitted that, on between 30 and 50 occasions, he or other members of the conspiracy added drugs to the amount of drugs seized during an arrest in order to make the arrest appear more significant, and on as many as 20 occasions, paid cooperators and informants, who were often prostitutes, with drugs in exchange for information. Parry further admitted that he and the other officers falsified police reports, and that he testified falsely under oath, all in an endeavor to conceal their actions.

Parry detailed for Judge Kugler during his plea that on one occasion in September 2008, he and three other officers conducted various searches at an apartment complex in Camden with no search warrant nor consent from the residents. On another occasion in January 2009, Parry admitted that a person only identified by the initials R.M. was charged after searching a house which he was in without a warrant or consent. The police report, Parry admitted, falsely stated that R.M. fled the scene and discarded drugs during R.M.’s escape from police when, in fact, neither the flight, nor the discarding of drugs, occurred. "

And remember, most ALL narc squads are like this....only a few get caught.

next time some cop comes on here bragging about how we should trust them, read them this.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sorry, here is the link to above:

www.nj.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
yeah.....
because of the actions of some are corrupt, then that must mean all police officers are bad....

these blanketed generalizations use to anger me, but now all they do is amuse me.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Yes and No. It often gets misconstrued.

It's based on observed activities, mostly. Say Alcohol sales, known drug activities, talk about mayhem, illegal merchandise hitting the market, complaints about speeding, etc.

When the iformation is compiled, they have to make a showing that people can't run wild.

Now, in all this activity, there will be rogues. Who, don't want to do what they're supposed to, and the courts, being busy, aren't even going to try to sort it all out. This is the back-loophole.

Everyone's gotten an injust ticket, it's just part of life. Try to pick yourself, and continue to party...

new topics

top topics

join