It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can 1 CAT scan give you cancer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Can 1 CAT scan on the brain give you cancer? I know it is equal to 8 months of background radiation. So what are my risks? I had it a few months ago. Just out of curiosity.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I have had many ct scans and mri scans on my brain ( i have had a brain tumour for 8 years) mostly mri scans. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Breathing can give you cancer.

The Sun's radiation can give you cancer.

The radiation from radio stations can give you cancer.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies

I was just wondering because I read a report saying that they found out that cancer from CAT scans are a lot more common than once thought. That sort of got me worried, as it was on my head (the radiation). They said that over 27,000 cancers can be related from 1 use of a CAT scan. I do not know if they were talking about decades later or a few years later.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Thanks for the replies

I was just wondering because I read a report saying that they found out that cancer from CAT scans are a lot more common than once thought. That sort of got me worried, as it was on my head (the radiation). They said that over 27,000 cancers can be related from 1 use of a CAT scan. I do not know if they were talking about decades later or a few years later.

That makes me feel better , I know MRI's are stronger and I'm on one a year now. To be honest MRI's havee saved my life so i just have to take the rough with the smooth.

i'd try not to worry about getting cancer too much, lifes too short, many bad things could possibly happen in your life, it's best not to dwell on these scenario's.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies

That makes me feel better , I know MRI's are stronger and I'm on one a year now. To be honest MRI's havee saved my life so i just have to take the rough with the smooth.

i'd try not to worry about getting cancer too much, lifes too short, many bad things could possibly happen in your life, it's best not to dwell on these scenario's.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I do not think MRIs give you cancer
They do not expose you to radiation like CAT scans?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I have very close connections to the medical field and all I have to say is you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, TWICE, and then winning the mega millions lottery than you do of getting cancer from a CT scan.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies

Those scans are directed and focused on one certain area. It's a dry leaf under a magnifying glass scenario.

Check out these three articles;

www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.physorg.com...
www.cancerfightingstrategies.com...

My wife fought thyroid cancer, and it's three years now having been defeated.
Traditional methods kill healthy cells in the process, thereby killing the body. I'm in your corner, and want to know you are winning the battle.

[edit on (3/12/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TokiTheDestroyer

Only if that was true.. lol Atleast that made me feel better a little bit. Winning the loterry whats that 1 our of 5 million or someting maybe more. the CAT scans risks are 1 out of 1000. Sadly you have a better chance of getting cancer then winning the lottery lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

What do you mean dry leaf under and magnifying glass scenario?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
No, I do not believe so. I have had 2 cat scans and 2 MRIs. I have no cancer.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

reply to post by loveguy

What do you mean dry leaf under and magnifying glass scenario?

When all that radiation is focused on a specific area, the dry leaf burns under the sun's radiation.

I've edited my previous post with links and stuff.

Edit to point toward my previous post.

[edit on (3/12/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Can 1 CAT scan on the brain give you cancer? I know it is equal to 8 months of background radiation. So what are my risks? I had it a few months ago. Just out of curiosity.

Cat scans are the only way to accurately diagnose Aortic Dissection. Yet not every patient presenting with pain in the chest area is given one simply because of the risk of getting cancer exceeds the probability the patient has Aortic dissection, which is 1 in 5,000.

I had one.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I dont have cancer though, i got the CAT scan for bashing my head around. I was wondering if CAT scans give you cancer for a healthy person. Sorry if you got the wrong idea loveguy lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Doctors always weigh the risks and benefits of any treatment. If you were given a CT scan it was done because your doctor believed that it was worth it. I'm not sure what the value could possibly be of coming to ATS for a second opinion several months after the fact. But:

The radiation dose varies tremendously between scans. The radiation dose for a particular scan depends on multiple factors: volume scanned, patient build, number and type of scan sequences, and desired resolution and image quality. Additionally, two helical CT scanning parameters that can be adjusted easily and that have a profound effect on radiation dose are tube current and pitch. The radiation dose can vary by as much as a full order of magntitude based solely on what part of your body was scanned.

What this means is that estimates of the radiation dose of CT scans in general are of little value. There is too much variance to consider the question at hand in a general way, and in order to answer your question you need specific information. This also means that the answer will only be applicable to your case.

The being said, if you are an average American your chances of dying of cancer are 23%. If you have had a CT scan, this number is elevated to between 23.35% and 25% depending on many factors, including the variables discussed above as well as age at the time of the scan.

So, you are slightly more likely to die of cancer if you have had a CT scan. However, it is impossible to pinpoint the scan as the cause of any cancer you may get by any known method. In fact, it is almost always impossible to pinpoint the exact cause with certainty of any cancer, especially when the risk factor in question is statistically overwhelmed by the average risk factors that you have already been exposed to.

If you developed cancer today, even if it were in the part of your body that was scanned, you would have absolutely no way of demonstrating that the scan had been that cause. Other enviromental factors which everyone experience far outweigh the scan as the likely cause of your cancer, and there is no particular characteristic that the cancerous cells would have that would identify them as having been made cancerous by the scan.

When all is said and done you have nothing to fear. You're better off having had the scan.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I dont have cancer though, i got the CAT scan for bashing my head around. I was wondering if CAT scans give you cancer for a healthy person. Sorry if you got the wrong idea loveguy lol.

No need for apology.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It is a matter of probabilities.

Yes it can. Is it likely? I suspect not.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I don't know about CAT scans but know that MRI's have huge amounts of radiation, I would be very careful about getting one, radiation kills brain cells if you get a scan on the brain.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned
I'm not sure what the value could possibly be of coming to ATS for a second opinion several months after the fact. But:

I like discussing issues with people with a wide variety of intelligences, whether it is health issues or conspiracy issues
Thanks for the good relpy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join