evolution beats creationism 10 to 3 and thats generous

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by ashanu90
FACT: the world is at least 4.6 billion years old. The bible claims to be approximately 6,500.

You know what makes that statement not a fact? The bible doesn't say that. That 6500 year figure came up because the Hasmonean Jews were the ones who wrote the OT.... Given that it was written from their perspective, they promulgated the whole "the earth is only 6500 years old" crappolla. Know your facts before you declare it a FACT.....
[edit on 14-3-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

if you are a christian then you beleive the bible and all of it's books including the OT tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth yes?
and that you have a supernaturaul fondness/love of jews because jesus himself was jewish yes? am i wrong correct me if i am i won't take offense.
but if the above is true then why would you beleivea the jews were wrong on this viewpoint/belief? were they not god's chosen? his favorites? the humans closest to him? if so they would know the exact truth beacause 'god' would tell them correct? why wouldn't they know the exact age of the earth?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

if you are a christian then you beleive the bible and all of it's books including the OT tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth yes?
and that you have a supernaturaul fondness/love of jews because jesus himself was jewish yes? am i wrong correct me if i am i won't take offense.
but if the above is true then why would you beleivea the jews were wrong on this viewpoint/belief? were they not god's chosen? his favorites? the humans closest to him? if so they would know the exact truth beacause 'god' would tell them correct? why wouldn't they know the exact age of the earth?

NO
I do not have to bellieve the whole bible.
Do you believe in every single scientific journal?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ashanu90

And if I'm not a Christian per se? You see, you should never stereotype.

Edit: By the way, God doesn't play favorites.... There are no "chosen" people.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by agentofchaos

Evolution is a fact but that does not prove abiogenesis, which is the theory that life came about naturally from none living replicating pseudorganisms (if that's a word).

I'm much more interested in the idea of panspermia, the idea that the first microbes to land on Earth were alien and then adapted and evolved on our pale blue dot into the vast array of life we see today.

Evolution has enough evidence to make it true.

I don't believe in a spirit in the spooky boogeyman sense but the idea that in some form our consciousness or energy continues after we die is interesting albeit unproven. The soul is more a deep place within our consciousness, a part of the mind not an ethereal thing living within us.

Finding out evolution was true is just the beginning by no means is it the end of the road. We have only begun to learn the nature of this world and Universe as a species.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
NO
I do not have to bellieve the whole bible.
Do you believe in every single scientific journal?

well i suppose not but why wouldn't you beleive the entire bible if you are a christian? no offense but are you saying your god is overdramatic or a liar?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

And if I'm not a Christian per se? You see, you should never stereotype.

Edit: By the way, God doesn't play favorites.... There are no "chosen" people.

your right that was a stereotype i apoligize but i thought christians believed that jews are gods chosen people? why do you say they are not?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

No offense, but do you know anything about the bible? Do you understand how it was canonized? Do you understand that much of it was from oral tradition? Do you understand that it has been manipulated and tampered with?

So, only a fool takes the bible verbatim. Now, even though I am not TECHNICALLY a Christian in the traditional sense, I think it would be pretty imbecilic if you believe that ALL Christians take every part of the bible literally.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I'm more spiritual than I am religious. I certainly do not follow church doctrine.... If I lived during the inquisition, I'd been burnt as a "heretic" many years ago.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

No offense, but do you know anything about the bible? Do you understand how it was canonized? Do you understand that much of it was from oral tradition? Do you understand that it has been manipulated and tampered with?

So, only a fool takes the bible verbatim. Now, even though I am not TECHNICALLY a Christian in the traditional sense, I think it would be pretty imbecilic if you believe that ALL Christians take every part of the bible literally.

your point is valid but i stand by my statements. but the genesis account still does not add up with what evidence tells us and also the "a day is a day" quote backs it up i say. as for the many changes i thought only king james changed it so that it could be translated into latin and the kings english.
but i ask why do you say it's been changed many times? what's your sources?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffiriff
i think the point was, evolution has nothing to do with the creation of life. Life was created (by who knows what) then we evolved into what we are now.

i won't say your suggesting anything, but how about the theory that aliens came and created/modified us and left or are maybe still here

if true can anyone explain where these aliens may have come from? or how they survived technological adolescence?

im open to ideas

i however find it difficult to except the genesis acount just to many inconsistancies as i've said amny times

[edit on 14-3-2010 by ashanu90]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

so if you don't take every part of the bible seriously what parts do you take seriously? wjy take any of it seriously at all? why bother with the whole thing?

i personnally believe the bible completeley unnacceptable and heres a few lines from a book that i think makes sense concerning the bible

"this was no case of divine intervention; on the contrary it was a divine con, but that was the magic of the best grifts, convincing the rubes to believe th impossible. the bigger the lies, the more outrageous the lies, the more desperate the masses were gulled by them, especially if there was a little divinity thrown into the mix."-vampie wars-by steven savile

realize that this book has nothing to do with christianity what so ever howerver it can be applied to the current discussion

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Makes sense - Darwin's ideas are more scientifically verifiable. In the 'information age' people have come to expect more tangible / verifiable evidence for things. We're no longer in the dark ages - where religion dictated much of culteral literacy and knowledge - 'bedtime stories' are no longer sufficient. People want to touch, observe, learn, share...

Funny thing is, still more science shows NEITHER makes sense!

One thing the fossil record show: homo sapien is FAR older than 6,000 years old, but...

The other thing it shows is that rather than subtle 'transition' is abrubt transformation over time. Overnight changes that drastically changed the latest 'iteration' of human.

Creationist and evolutionsts need to realize that the other is wrong, entirely.

But, together... they are both right.

(man, I don't think anyone knows what I'm talking about)

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
to everyone
remember when you hear something that sounds illogical some words of wisdom

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out" -Carl Sagan

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

extrordinary claims require extordinary evidence- carl sagan

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

But, together... they are both right.

(man, I don't think anyone knows what I'm talking about)

i do unerstand what you mean i think your saying(correct me if i'm wrong)
that god created man and designed him to evolve through the years

i however disagree i'm still in favor of evolution

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

Funny thing is, still more science shows NEITHER makes sense!

One thing the fossil record show: homo sapien is FAR older than 6,000 years old, but...

what science shows that neither makes sense?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
science cannot prove the beginning of the universe, just as religion cannot prove that GOD exists.
so each side has its own faith, scientific faith of the beginning to prove they are right versus religious faith to say they are right.

science and religion can work together, for without the restraints of religion, science has no moral compasss.

Point one; Science definitely can tell us how the universe began. it can tell us the first moment of life. And conceivably it can duplicate both events. if they happened once, then they can happen twice. or a hundred times.

Don't confuse "hasn't been able to do so yet" with "can't" - humans are the limiting factor. We only learn so fast, and technology staggers along behind us by a few steps. There will definitely be a day when we know, so long as we keep looking.

Point two; Science has no faith. It posits that the universe began - and obviously it must have, because here it is. Same with life. There are many hypotheses about how this happened, but they are widely debated, discussed, debated, reformed, and invented. Religion also maintains that the universe and life began... but then it points out how, and sets anyone who tries to debate on fire for being a heretic.

Point three; Religion is not required for morality. Indeed, religion often directly contradicts the moral standards held by most people, of any religion or lack thereof.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Originally posted by munkey66
science cannot prove the beginning of the universe, just as religion cannot prove that GOD exists.
so each side has its own faith, scientific faith of the beginning to prove they are right versus religious faith to say they are right.

science and religion can work together, for without the restraints of religion, science has no moral compasss.

Point one; Science definitely can tell us how the universe began. it can tell us the first moment of life. And conceivably it can duplicate both events. if they happened once, then they can happen twice. or a hundred times.

Don't confuse "hasn't been able to do so yet" with "can't" - humans are the limiting factor. We only learn so fast, and technology staggers along behind us by a few steps. There will definitely be a day when we know, so long as we keep looking.

Point two; Science has no faith. It posits that the universe began - and obviously it must have, because here it is. Same with life. There are many hypotheses about how this happened, but they are widely debated, discussed, debated, reformed, and invented. Religion also maintains that the universe and life began... but then it points out how, and sets anyone who tries to debate on fire for being a heretic.

Point three; Religion is not required for morality. Indeed, religion often directly contradicts the moral standards held by most people, of any religion or lack thereof.

thank you that has been one of the best posts on here so far. and it makes more sense to me than most things on this thread no offense to anyone

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Thanks. It comes with a lot pf practice on the O&C board. It's kinda like judo for the brain, I think.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a question to all spiritual/religious/superstitious persons

why do you beleive what you do?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
[ex

Evolution has been used to justify every major genocide and wicked philosophy--i.e. Naziism, stalinism, communism--in history by killing off the weak.

the same logic can be used to say that a certain religion is the right on to justify the crusades,inquisitions,witch trials, and the torture of the knights templar i mean seriously that was messed up did you know the church tied weights to the members of the templars male region and just dropped them?

You're speaking of Catholicism,which is not the same as having a relationship with the Lord,Jesus Christ.

Rome is the harlot of Revelation and has nothing to do with Jesus.
Sorry you are misinformed.

I have nothing but contempt for the church of the anti-christ and the atrocities they have commissioned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join