It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet just hit the Sun!!!! (Update Asteroid or Comet is now incoming. 3rd impact)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This will be interesting to see the CME that is generated. There is a similar thread that did not take off, hopefully this one will. This is the second one that has hit, you can see the Comets at the 8 o'clock position.

Video

Here is the earlier thread about it:

Thread

-Kdial1

[edit on 12-3-2010 by kdial1]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
But nothing came out?
I was expecting a huge flare. Unless it was made out of some light material?
Do you have any idea of the comets size?

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Elieser]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hello,
I saw the flare, but it was at 5 sec. on the ticker. The video is looped. The sun emitted energy the comet-blast would generate previous to the initial comet making contact with the surface of the sun/atmosphere? The sun ain't got an atmosphere, does it? Pretty darn cool though!

Oops, I went back and re-read the OP.
Edit to say oops! More than one comet.

[edit on (3/12/1010 by loveguy]
That dang ticker covers three days, in 24 hour intervals. 2010/3/11 @ 5 sec.

[edit on (3/12/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Gee after watching that I can't help but wonder what if that comet had of hit Mercury , would it have pushed the planet right into the Sun ?

That comet looked huge , was there any report as to the size of the thing ?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
But nothing came out?
I was expecting a huge flare. Unless it was made out of some light material?
Do you have any idea of the comets size?

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Elieser]

It will come give it a few hours..... You can see the CME that was generated from the smaller one that hit before it.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Not the rarest thing ever. I was reading a thread earlier that had a compile of strange occurrences around the sun, Most of which are probably comets anyways.

Thread will be think when I can find it again.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Notice the first object to hit that was proly a large asteroid caused a coronal mass ejection. The second one which you describe did not cause a CME.

Because the first was a solid object, and the second although it looked much larger was in essence a ball of dust and ice.

The other question that needs to be asked, why was an asteroid and a comet on the same collision course, and what does it mean.

I saw the thread about the Nemesis dwarf star that is supposedly pulling asteroids and comets out of the Oort cloud and flinging them in our direction.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Actually, it's kind of tiny.
Here are some reasonable sized comets.

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

[edit on 3/12/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Actually, it's kind of tiny.
Here are some reasonable sized comets.

Did those ones eventually hit the sun like the current one?

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

No. Just headed back out there. Way, way back out there.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow...tbose are cool. The difference here though, is that it appears the sun is actually struck by these comets. Do we know for sure that they did hit the sun? What about previously recorded impacts? Phage? I think of you as a resident expert. What is your take on this?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Very cool. Just shows the size and mass of the sun. That probably would have killed us. The sun? Just another day.

Edit: Added "probably".

[edit on 12-3-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
As loveguy says the video is looped and ends at or at somewhere near the point of impact. Just checked, and no new pics yet... that's Hollywood for you!

[edit on 12-3-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
As loveguy says the video is looped and ends at or at somewhere near the point of impact.

Yup, I am anxiously waiting to see the CME it produces. The little one that hit before it produced a pretty nice CME, nothing incredible but still you can see it in the loop.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Sweet !! That was larger than the planet which is Mercury I think. There is all kinds of foreign matter flying around and that comet dwarfed all.
Strar and flag for a nice catch.

ps. I noticed a large flare just before that hit on the same side. Magnetic pull perhaps?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
ps. I noticed a large flare just before that hit on the same side. Magnetic pull perhaps?

No, if you look closely at the loop around the 7-8 o'clock position you will see a little one hit the sun producing that CME. Then it is followed by the big one.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

We don't really know how big these little guys that hit the sun fairly regularly are. They appear large in the SOHO images because they are bright and cause a "blooming" effect in the sensor. We never really get to see the actual nucleus of a comet, what we see is actually a cloud of dust and gas.

For example, Halley's comet has a nucleus of only about 16x8x8 km (egg shaped). The one that just hit (maybe just grazed) the Sun is bound to be much smaller than that. Rather than an extinction event, if it hit Earth it would more likely be something like Tunguska. Not good, but not the end of us.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Wouldn't your typical comet, especially a small one like that, burn up before it "hit" the sun?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by intrepid

We don't really know how big these little guys that hit the sun fairly regularly are.

Rather than an extinction event, if it hit Earth it would more likely be something like Tunguska. Not good, but not the end of us.

Rather incongruous but I amended my post accordingly.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Hmmm.,.,..

Interesting the gif stops just as that big boy hit Sol eh?

.... would be great for someone to upload the gif when it's available.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join