It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh oh..Lookout...Many quakes on the Juan De Fuca Plate...Oregon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If a big one does occur here,the devastation will be so swift we 'll barely have time to know what hit us!

(At least that's how I hope it happens!)

May God have mercy.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

will there be an earthquake on that day ?

Cleverbot:

I have no clue. I've seen some crazy stuff happen, but I do know if there is an assasination it won't be caused by me.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Tectonic plate movement is a natural occurrence, happens every day. For example, you can trace ancient calderas from Yellowstone west, it forms a chain which supports the theory of plate movement. The plate moved over the stationary hotspot we know as Yellowstone. Earthquakes happen in our region daily; it's just most of them are small and so deep we don't feel them; they register with the US Geological Department but that's about it.

I wouldn't worry too much; if an earthquake happens there isn't much we can do about it except be prepared and we should all be prepared for emergencies anyway. If you live in a zone that might be subject to a tsunami then I encourage to you locate your evacuation route, when the warning sounds you most likely won't have much time. Speaking as some one who has been evacuated twice for floods and once for a tsunami it's far better to be prepared then caught unawares and unprepared.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

will there be an earthquake on that day ?

Cleverbot:

I have no clue. I've seen some crazy stuff happen, but I do know if there is an assasination it won't be caused by me.

Spooky stuff. Don't know why the 16th strikes you like that. But I have always been a bit superstituous about the 15th. You know, those famous last words..."Beware the Ides of March."

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Might wanna recheck my edited post here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But what concerns me more, is not only the position of all these, but the rapid succession of both these bigger 4.2 and 4.3 quakes, within 2 hours of each other. I would say the timing, back to back like that, is NOT really normal, from previous historical activity.

In addition to that, there is also the issue that the second one was larger than the first, implying a trend to increase, not decrease.

4.2 2010/03/12 18:29:58 UTC
earthquake.usgs.gov...

4.3 2010/03/12 20:31:23 UTC
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
the looks of that, it is somewhat uncommon for quakes to occur in those positions on the plate, but it has happened before, as you can see. Let's just hope it is nothing, but keep our eyes peeled.

[edit on Fri Mar 12th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

I was looking up information on seismicity of the Juan de Fuca plate also and confirmed the same thing as you. I found a nice image of the historical data on this plate. Just as you had said the two quakes farther north were rare. We need to keep an eye on the spots that have had no activity in the past, particularly the upper leg.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/f4f8f71d918fb16c.png[/atsimg]

Juan de Fuca Plate

[edit on 12-3-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

That's actually quite helpful, thanks. The historic moment solution showed the spots right around where the 4.3 quake occurred, but that pic brings everything a bit better into perspective.
Star for you for a valuable contributing link to the thread.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Thanks for the star TrueAmerican.

I wonder why there is no historical seismic data on the mid to lower leg of the Juan de Fuca Ridge. I wonder how the geological survey assumed a fault line existed there when in fact there has been no activity there in the past. Maybe some older document shows a record of activity there. What if that section of the plate is jammed. Maybe a magnitude 9.0+ could come from that location.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

I believe, based on geography classes here in BC back in the day, that that part of the JDF faultline is the part that is "Jammed" as you put it. They've been warning Vancouver about the likelihood of a major slippage within this century since the 90's, when a quake big enough to shake chandeliers hit the west side of the plate out of the blue.

Sorry, no links, just hearsay from geography classes.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I goto court for possession on the 16th. hopefully all the predictions wont be like an "earthquake" in my court case. lulz

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Thanks for the info D.E.M. I did not have any geology classes in high school or college so I am all ears on this subject. I'm thankful I was close to the mark with my "Jammed Juan de Fuca Ridge" theory.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Well I think we should all pray that it happens in Oregon rather than Washington because... um we need to keep our border in working order. Plus as was said, Seattle was built on top of muddy sand and wouldn`t stand a chance. Though geological record would dictate that Seattle must fall eventually. Perhaps it would be better to get it over with before more money is thrown away. Maybe tptb have halready realized this and are planning to cause an earthquake (I won`t bother trying any longer to figure out how they are doing it) in order to save their money. Perhaps a disaster in the area could be a way to test martial law and may be a pre-emptive to having all out nationwide martial law. Especially if it`s true that they can control both volvanoes and earthquakes. The pacific northwest would be perfect for manufacturing such a disaster. I hope they arent stupid enough to try to trigger yellowstone. Or stupid enough to trigger it accidentally by playing around with the volcanoes in the pacific rim...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Magnitude 4.9 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
2010 March 13 04:53:41 UTC

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 04:53:41 UTC
Friday, March 12, 2010 at 07:53:41 PM at epicenter
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region
OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances
410 km (255 miles) W (273°) from Yachats, OR
413 km (256 miles) WNW (288°) from Barview, OR
413 km (257 miles) W (271°) from Waldport, OR
491 km (305 miles) W (276°) from Eugene, OR
537 km (334 miles) WSW (258°) from Portland, OR

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

are you refering to this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Wookiep]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Wow, you're fast. I was just about to post that 4.9.

But seriously, this is not good. They are increasing in magnitude. And that quake was literally right on top of the other two big ones:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Something is happening down there, and I don't think they have a clear idea of the exact depth either.

And now another 4.2 has showed up, so fast?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

WTF?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Magnitude 4.2 - OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
2010 March 13 05:20:17 UTC

Details
Maps
Earthquake Details

Magnitude
Date-Time
Saturday, March 13, 2010 at 05:20:17 UTC
Friday, March 12, 2010 at 08:20:17 PM at epicenter
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region
OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances
415 km (258 miles) W (271°) from Yachats, OR
415 km (258 miles) WNW (286°) from Barview, OR
415 km (258 miles) WNW (290°) from Bandon, OR
496 km (308 miles) W (275°) from Eugene, OR
544 km (338 miles) WSW (257°) from Portland, OR

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Man, tell you what, this is nuts...I have every station on the Oregon coast open in GEE, and I AM NOT PICKING UP THESE QUAKES. AT ALL, not even a hint of them.

Now that's friggin weird.

A 4.9 from that distance should at least show something!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Really?

4 in a row now.

Yikes!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Man, tell you what, this is nuts...I have every station on the Oregon coast open in GEE, and I AM NOT PICKING UP THESE QUAKES. AT ALL, not even a hint of them.

Now that's friggin weird.

I looked quickly at some Oregon news web page and not a single word about Oregon quakes today....... Strange......

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

This just isn't right. This has to be a mistake. Those are too powerful to not register.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join