It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your family code for danger?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In the book "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank, Alas, Babylon is used as a code to let a man tell his brother that a nuclear war was starting shortly. The brother took lots of money out of the bank and bought supplies, and got the house ready for company.

When my kids were small we used the name of a TV show as a family code. Only someone who knew the code could pick them up from school. I am pretty sure if I said, "Not SpongeBob Squarepants" my adult kids would know something negative or dangerous was occuring.

Do you have a family code for danger? What will you do if you hear your family code?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You know, this is a really good idea for any family to have. And sadly I do not have one set up for my family.

I remember when they said this was a good idea when I was a child and in my 20's and now that you have posted this, wondering why I don't have one set up for my family. Thank you for putting this idea out there.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

When we lived in the U.S. (near big city) my Bride and I and two other couples had danger codes. It started with my wife naming her concealed carry firarm -- a .22LR Baretta, which she named "Goldie" for the gold inlay. From there was "Grandpa", my nickel-plated K-frame .357 and others. Thus, these names could be introduced into conversation to indicate the level of threat/danger and also suggest a response. Our four friends did likewise, and we all knew each others' code names.

I once called my wife at work, and there was some noise in the background that sounded uncharacteristic, like yelling. I asked her if she remembered to call Grandpa and wish him a happy birthday. She said, "NO. NO call necessary." meaning that whatever was happening, she considered it normal and not a threat.

We still have those codes between us, even though we now live on a sleepy island with few threats. We no longer have the firearms that they referred to. A few others: Neither of us like okra, but it's a commonly enjoyed vegetable here on the island. Same goes for cassava. If we were talking and m'Bride asked me to pick up some cassava on the way home, some manner of strangeness is afoot wherein she can't speak freely. If she requests okra, that would mean "get you A** home RIGHT now, and be on guard!" There are five or six other key words -- all things that are defined by context so as to not incite the alarm accidentally.

Yes, I sleep well at night, albeit very light. Nope, I don't feel paranoid, just prepared. Life is strange sometimes, and I'm no exception.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I can clearly see the necessity to have a code word for children in scenarios where a "stranger" may be asked by the parent to pick the child up after school, etc.

However, why the need for a code word for danger? I mean, if there is danger then it should be clearly stated as such, no?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My wife and kids and parents and a couple of buddies have a football player's name that is fun to say!

It started as an accident, but it quickly became a very easy way to distinguish if someone actually has permission to pick up the kids, or reschedule an event, or call me from an odd number, etc., etc.

Good info, and good thread, a lot of families may have not considered the need for this!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I can clearly see the necessity to have a code word for children in scenarios where a "stranger" may be asked by the parent to pick the child up after school, etc.

However, why the need for a code word for danger? I mean, if there is danger then it should be clearly stated as such, no?

In the book, the military brother asked the other brother to take care of his family in case of nuclear war. They set up the code because of rumors of war. The military brother couldn't talk about bombs in a message to his brother.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm dating myself here...especially to the older military members...we used 'tabasco" in the military, well my early days anyway.

My family has a similar code used for safety...to bring attention to a percieved seriousness of any situation.

Good post OP...a star and flag for you...because this one made me think, and is going to make others think!

[edit on 3/12/2010 by rotorwing]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I don't have anything like the OP mentions but as a child, we did do something like what Aggie Man spoke of.

If we were in trouble (my brother or I) but were in a position where we could not talk, we had a code word only my parents knew. Fortunately we never had to use it.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Nope, I don't feel paranoid, just prepared. Life is strange sometimes, and I'm no exception.

I feel that way, too. I don't want to have to think about making up a verbal clue to others during an emergency.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

In the book, the military brother asked the other brother to take care of his family in case of nuclear war. They set up the code because of rumors of war. The military brother couldn't talk about bombs in a message to his brother.

I gotcha. I guess I define danger as eminent, not looming. So, I can see how this would apply in situations where folks in the military are prohibited from discussing such things. However, for the average Joe, it still seems like the best way to spell out danger is d-a-n-g-e-r.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yeah but...Aggie Man...and with all due respect, there is still the situation that presented to me last weekend. One of my kids fond themselves in a situation where the drugs appeared at a party. They were in a close environment, and texted to me the "code" word. I called them, and told them I'd pick them up...they extracted from the situation w/o becoming the "snitch" and incurring the social implications that would follow.

And that all due respect thing...I truly mean that! Even though I used to yell "gig 'em horns"...

edit 'cuz somebody else's fingers typed that spelling mess

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man]

I gotcha. I guess I define danger as eminent, not looming. So, I can see how this would apply in situations where folks in the military are prohibited from discussing such things. However, for the average Joe, it still seems like the best way to spell out danger is d-a-n-g-e-r.

Most of the time clearly describing the danger would be the correct thing to do, so I think you are right. But if you are in a hurry or can't be clear, a pre-arranged signal could be handy.

Your house doesn't burn down often but a pre-arranged meeting place in case of fire might come in handy if your house does burn down.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing
Yeah but...Aggie Man...and with all due respect, there is still the situation that presented to me last weekend. One of my kids fond themselves in a situation where the drugs appeared at a party. They were in a close environment, and texted to me the "code" word. I called them, and told them I'd pick them up...they extracted from the situation w/o becoming the "snitch" and incurring the social implications that would follow.

And that all due respect thing...I truly mean that! Even though I used to yell "gig 'em horns"...

edit 'cuz somebody else's fingers typed that spelling mess

OK, I respect everyone's decisions on code words. I by no means think that it's a stupid idea. However, I wonder why your child couldn't simply text "please come get me". Is the code word used out of fear that their peers may read the text messages?

Anyhow, like you and others have said, it can't hurt to have one. I'd rather not have any ambiguity though...but then again, I don't have kids.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rotorwing
I'm dating myself here...especially to the older military members...we used 'tabasco" in the military, well my early days anyway.

My family has a similar code used for safety...to bring attention to a percieved seriousness of any situation.

Good post OP...a star and flag for you...because this one made me think, and is going to make others think!

Anybody remember what song was played to signal the helicopter evacuation of Saigon???

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

Operation Frequent Wind

Armed Forces Radio announcement "The temperature in Saigon is 112 degrees and rising. Followed by White Christmas.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

To avoid out of control panic situations, in my opinion.

If someone overheard then the news could spread unpredictably. A codeword allows for a pre-determined set of actions that could provide for much more efficient managing of an issue.

It makes me wonder though...if there are code words broadcast by the mainstream media that only certain families/people know of...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

It makes me wonder though...if there are code words broadcast by the mainstream media that only certain families/people know of...

That's a scary thought but it is logical. Code words are used over the radio during wars, so why not over the TV or in the newspapers. Code words on the local news would be more discrete than thousands of telephone calls.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Personally, I believe this is a good idea, but my family never used it.

We knew each other's body language and have always been hyper vigilant.

It has never failed us as far as the family is concerned.

Now, on topic, but sideways a bit, at a hospital I used to work at we had Code Pink drills.

This was/is infant and child abduction scenario training and regular too.

As a former Security Officer I believed they were good over all.

However, when I was apprised there would be a drill one day, the drills were for non-Security personnel, a nurse got pissy with me once about it.

I had written down on my notepad that there was one for the day, after being told, and kept it to myself, which is standard operating procedure.

This is a process so as to see real-time reactions, not to afford looking better.

When time came for the drill I forgot my notepad because I had another one.

I left it on the counter, upside down, writing side down and left for the drill.

This nurse had the gall to yell at me for not warning her about an upcoming drill.

I told her, first, that was my notepad, and her busy-body self had zero reason to touch it, secondly, that it was a drill, which is supposed to be a surprise, so it was not my job to forewarn anyone, period.

She disagreed, and took it up the food chain, and got in trouble for violating Security.

Nothing documented but she treated me like crap because of that then on.

How hard is it to understand the word DRILL?

This is not about looking good, but actual reaction times, period.

We did all sorts of drills from Code Black (bomb drill) to Code Silver (communication failure).

And this Code Pink went off without a hitch, but this nurse failed.

Anyway, I know it is sideways as far as the original poster framed the thread.

Sorry if I went off topic, but it is relevant, in some regards.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by NotThat

Now, on topic, but sideways a bit, at a hospital I used to work at we had Code Pink drills.

Many workplaces have codes for emergencies. One place I worked had a code that meant all the big men were to go to the office to deal with a troublemaker.

Body language is good when you can see the family member, but what about when you can't see them?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by NotThat

Many workplaces have codes for emergencies. One place I worked had a code that meant all the big men were to go to the office to deal with a troublemaker.

Body language is good when you can see the family member, but what about when you can't see them?

By knowing where each other are at any and all moments, who people are with, constantly checking in, and knowing what to do in emergency situations, it never became an issue.

My parents raised my brother and I, and were with us, utilizing tactics to keep from becoming victims, knowing who was where, what was happening, and what people were around made sure for the most part that events never happened.

About the one and only major event (other events, not worth mentioning) that happened was the one when fifteen children got off the school bus the last day of 8th grade, to kill me, and I brought a chain to equalize my opportunity of survival, as a force multiplier.

Are You "Right-Wing Fringe", or "Left-Wing Fringe" and How Will They Push You

The entire story is in the thread above, but needless to say, my parents never scolded me for my actions, because I was in fear for my life.

And I acted in a proactive manner in or for self-preservation.

No "Code Word" would have saved my life then, as no one was home, I was a latchkey kid since I was seven years old, and survival was something I was taught, trained, and indoctrinated in, through the Art of War.

I have now turned that into the Art of Peace, and see conflict ahead of time.

Great idea for a thread and my apologies if I took it off topic and task a tad.

You should as well read this other thread of mine, about my political views.

Left-Wing, Right-Wing, This Turkey, Knows How To Soar Like An Eagle

Just a heads up, you have to be a member of that forum area, if you want to post.

It is because of tighter T & C restrictions in there, I just did not want you to try posting and find out you lost three pages of replies, to that.

Someone did that without knowing once and did not appreciate it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join