It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church Will Always Survive the Deluge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
They just don't build 'em like they used to.

I found this cool article from National Geographic about an old church which was submerged over 20 years ago in order to create a hydro-electric dam for the people of Venezuela. A terrible drought had afflicted the region, leaving the dam at only 7% capacity.

The church, which had been submerged all those years with only the tip of the steeple showing above the water, is now completely exposed and remarkably well preserved.

Before-and-After Pictures: Underwater Church Reappears

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec4ecfe0b28c.jpg[/atsimg]

You might call it an act of God. A severe drought in Venezuela has exposed a church—pictured in 2008 (left) and on February 21, 2010—that had been inundated when a hydroelectric dam was built in 1985.

The 82-foot-tall (25-meter-tall) church and the Andean town of Potosi (see map) were flooded to establish the Uribante-Caparo water reservoir to power the plant, which is currently operating at just 7 percent of its capacity, according to the Reuters service. (Get news on the global water crisis.)

The church is now an ominous symbol of energy shortages in the country, which gets around 68 percent of its power from hydroelectricity, Reuters reported. The droughts spurred Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to declare an energy emergency in February.

Read more and see more pics: National Geographic

That church was a true miracle of structural engineering to have survived so intact to this day. I don't see any signs of any other structures surviving nearby the church, everything else seems to have been washed away.

I feel for the poor people of Venezuela during this drought crisis and hope their problems end soon.

[edit on 12/3/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well heck, I thought it was interesting anyway.

Especially the way the vegitation grew back after the water receded.

join