It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway doomsday seed vault hits 1/2 million mark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

OSLO, Norway – Two years after receiving its first deposits, a "doomsday" seed vault on an Arctic island has amassed half a million seed samples, making it the world's most diverse repository of crop seeds, the vault's operators announced Thursday.

Cary Fowler — who heads the trust that oversees the seed collection, which is 620 miles (1,000 kilometers) from the North Pole, said the facility now houses at least one-third of the world's crop seeds.

"In my lifetime, I don't think we'll go over 1.5 million. I'd be rather surprised if we go over a million," Fowler told The Associated Press. "At that point, we'd have all the diversity in the world ... and the most secure samples."

news.yahoo.com...

Just an update for those keeping track of the let’s build a super structure to protect against extinction of plants throughout the world news. Especially the ones we eat to stay alive as a species. They say they have half a million already but don’t expect to reach the number they would like to achieve. They did a half million pretty quick. Wonder why they think its going to be such a problem to reach their goal?

Edit to add: Sorry mods. Unexpectedly taken before I could finish. I'm a little soar

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

[edit on 3/12/2010 by AshleyD]

[edit on 12-3-2010 by liveandletlive]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So they have amassed 1/3 of the worlds seeds yet they are feeding us the genetically modified (phood) thats how I spell that which they are calling food.
Seems as though they are preparing for something they know is going to happen. Wonder what it is or perhaps they are just as paranoid as the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Saving seeds in preparation for something that could devastate your crops is always a good idea. Its nice to know if something comes along and wipes most of us out that there is back up for whoever is left behind. If they can find it that is!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

I totally agree. It is a beautiful idea, a life saving idea having this seed vault. You never know when an asteroid or pole shift might devastate our world, and I trust that there are a few in the know that put this in action because they care for the human race, or at least a portion of the human race. Seriously I'm glad they built it, and I am smart enough to believe it was well thought out, this deep arctic freeze storage. Afterall, above ground freezers don't work as well as underground freezers right? I will take heed from this action and plan accordingly.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
After the event, they have good foods, the crap we get now is just to makes us think everything is okey ..

Or they have the technology to store seeds for thousands of years..

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
620 miles from the north pole? Are they getting ready for the "north pole" to end up around the equator during a pole flip?!? What if Australia becomes the south pole!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
620 miles from the north pole? Are they getting ready for the "north pole" to end up around the equator during a pole flip?!? What if Australia becomes the south pole!

I am thinking the same thing , why are so many 'rich dudes' moving to Russia ?
Wasnt it in the new Forbs ( The Millionairs magazine) that they said that most miillionairs are in Russia ! ?

The trick is to not end up at the poles after the shift, rather as close to the equator as possible. The seedVault would end up as you say, in a warm climate !

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
im sure theres an existing thread regarding this?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Interesting is it not how the Y2K scare of the year 2000 influenced so many people in food hoarding, purchasing non-perishable canned goods, seeds, etc, yet because of the food preservatives, among other things, our foods are now easily perishable?

What I am speaking about is the fact that so many food require additives, preservatives, and have an expiration date, and seeds, being something which we would plant our own food for emergencies, is stored in this vault for Doomsday.

And then we have all the drama over 2012 and Armageddon being hyped.

Is this just another Y2K or is this a subconscious way of us being told without being told?

Is 2012 The Next Y2K Con-Job Sponsored Via Continuity of Government?

Or is it a part of the entire con job going on when it comes to our current economy?

In order to milk us for all the money that the World Government can possibly steal?

Or is there something else completely going on here and we're being kept in the dark?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Interesting is it not how the Y2K scare of the year 2000 influenced so many people in food hoarding, purchasing non-perishable canned goods, seeds, etc, yet because of the food preservatives, among other things, our foods are now easily perishable?

What I am speaking about is the fact that so many food require additives, preservatives, and have an expiration date, and seeds, being something which we would plant our own food for emergencies, is stored in this vault for Doomsday.

And then we have all the drama over 2012 and Armageddon being hyped.

Is this just another Y2K or is this a subconscious way of us being told without being told?

Is 2012 The Next Y2K Con-Job Sponsored Via Continuity of Government?

Or is it a part of the entire con job going on when it comes to our current economy?

In order to milk us for all the money that the World Government can possibly steal?

Or is there something else completely going on here and we're being kept in the dark?

I think it’s a good idea to prepare for an extinction level event or for a major disruption to our food supply for what ever reason. You never know what could happen. The ability to shield against crop extinction is surely worthy of the investment in my opinion.

I think the same thing about storing copies of art, literature, technology and all of the other important things that represent humanity.

I believe our military should have bunkers to secure against attack from foreign invaders and to maintain command and control during any event.

I would expect our government to do everything it could to secure our countries survival if they found out something life changing was coming.

For example: Let’s say something was coming from space and those with the information knew we couldn’t do anything to stop it. Let’s say that during secret meetings it was decided that deep underground bases costing hundreds of billions of dollars along with other extreme measures would be need to protect the military and government infrastructure. How would you spend the money necessary with out attracting attention?

I wonder what lengths our government would be willing to go through to protect what we are. And when history looked back on those who did what needed to be done how would they be seen? I’m betting they "would" be considered heroes!

edit to replace "will" with "would".

[edit on 12-3-2010 by liveandletlive]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

It’s a new trend you know. It’s very fashionable these days. Everyone is doing it. At least everyone who is anyone.

new topics

top topics

join