It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snakes and Ladders ... a lesson in life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/150b6d6e7710.jpg[/atsimg]

Snakes and Ladders , Vaikuntapaali , Moksha Patamu , Gyanbazi , Leela , Paramapada Sopanam (the ladder to salvation) , originated in India , as a game
based on morality . Perhaps invented by Hindu spiritual teachers , or the saints , it's origins can be traced back almost 2000 years . Intended to teach children
about the effects of good deeds as opposed to bad deeds , it's message is also useful for adults today . There is really only one game , .... life , the game in
which each of us is playing out a role . The myriad forms and feelings we experience , are part of the matrix , the maya [illusion].
The temporary nature of feelings and circumstances , the ups and downs ,and our personal path through these , are guided by our actions , both good and bad . This is an
exercise in self discovery , and how to find happiness and peace , in life and soul .
The ladders represent virtues such as generosity, faith, humility, etc., and the snakes represent vices such as lust, anger, murder, theft, etc. The moral of the
game was that a person can attain salvation (Moksha) through performing good deeds whereas by doing evil , one takes rebirth in lower forms of life
(Patamu). The number of ladders was less than the number of snakes as a reminder that treading the path of good is very difficult compared to committing
sins. Presumably the number "100" represented Moksha (Salvation). In Andhra Pradesh, snakes and ladders is played in the name of Vaikuntapali
The squares of virtue on the original game are Faith (12), Reliability (51), Generosity (57), Knowledge (76), Asceticism (78); the squares of evil are Disobedience (41), Vanity (44), Vulgarity (49), Theft (52), Lying (58), Drunkenness (62), Debt (69), Rage (84), Greed (92), Pride (95), Murder (73) and Lust (99).

sourced from[ Wikipedia ] and [ The Yoga of Snakes and Arrows ] by Hareesh Johari - Destiny books

...... Interestingly , the rules have a clause whereby throwing a 6 , gives you another turn ;, throwing three consecutive sixes , and you are back to square
one ! ...... 3 strikes you're out ?

My take on this , is that most religions have common roots , and they appear to be ancient , and Eastern .

Where did Jesus go for the undocumented twenty[plus] years of His life ..... ? Egypt .... and on into ........

......................... India ..................................................... ????????????

[edit on 12-3-2010 by radarloveguy]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I thought Jesus went to Egypt for those undocumented years... but then again who cares about fiction anyway.

Great post. I was just thinking about this game the other day. Snakes and Ladders...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy
Where did Jesus go for the undocumented twenty[plus] years of His life ..... ?

......................... India ..................................................... ????????????

Matthew 2 11-15

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
And being warned of God in a adream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.
When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

During his youth he went to Egypt because Jesus' life was not safe.

Matthew 2 19-23

But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt,
Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child’s life.
And he arose, and took the young child and his mother, and came into the land of Israel.
But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the aroom of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:
And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Jesus returned to Jerusalem when Herod had died, this ensured that the prophecies spoken of in the Old Testament happened. This is also another reason why Jesus' youth is not exceptionally well documented, his life was in danger, he was in hiding in Egypt.

The bible leaves no questions unanswered, you just have to read it thoroughly enough to find the answers you need, it is also not meant to be read like a traditional book. Just because a specific question cant be answered by another, does not mean that the answers are not there, this is why it is useful to listen to others teaching about scripture. Some people might be wise to one book of the bible and its teachings and another might be wise to three or four different books. Anyone who says that they have read the bible from start to finish and completely understand every single passage of it, is lying.

Interesting topic by the way.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I haven't thought of snakes and ladders in years, I'd never thought of the metaphor behind that game before, thats cool.

Originally posted by avatar01
I thought Jesus went to Egypt for those undocumented years... but then again who cares about fiction anyway.
[...]

There is some truth in your fiction, and fiction in your truth... *shrugs*

Nobody can deny that Jesus was cool though.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Well, I think it's an interesting observation. In Hinduism one can advance or fall into various life-forms depending on the state of consciousness and karma at the time of death. At least to ISKCON the soul in the animal body is only working off karma through suffering. Only the human body and conscience allows for advancement towards Godhead in this universe.
Christianity may sound more appealing than the ups and downs of personal karma, because it offers the promise of a steady salvation.
But how steady is it really if one strays from the path? Its pretty much all or nothing - eternal heaven or eternal hell. Some say if you are saved all sin is forgiven - but then you could be a serial killer or a Hitler and go to heaven if you are saved by the Sinner's Prayer! Is that fair? When the evangelist TV propaganda is switched off and you sin - how sure are you that sin is repented? It could just be a thought you don't notice that sends you to hell.
So I'd rather take the temporary karma of Hinduism which is far more merciful. Maybe it's a few steps forward and some back, but with faith in the deities I will improve gradually and eventually I go back to Godhead!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I'm surprised Americans haven't changed the name of snakes and ladders,
most other games they have, tick tack toe,(naughts and crosses) football (rugby) baseball (rounders) ten pin (was nine pin) Chinese checkers (draughts) Soccer (football) I presume American don't play cricket as one needs maths to work out the scores.
well, that enough to raise a few hackles. wheres my fritze

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by XXXN3O

Well, I think it's an interesting observation. In Hinduism one can advance or fall into various life-forms depending on the state of consciousness and karma at the time of death. At least to ISKCON the soul in the animal body is only working off karma through suffering. Only the human body and conscience allows for advancement towards Godhead in this universe.
Christianity may sound more appealing than the ups and downs of personal karma, because it offers the promise of a steady salvation.
But how steady is it really if one strays from the path? Its pretty much all or nothing - eternal heaven or eternal hell. Some say if you are saved all sin is forgiven - but then you could be a serial killer or a Hitler and go to heaven if you are saved by the Sinner's Prayer! Is that fair? When the evangelist TV propaganda is switched off and you sin - how sure are you that sin is repented? It could just be a thought you don't notice that sends you to hell.
So I'd rather take the temporary karma of Hinduism which is far more merciful. Maybe it's a few steps forward and some back, but with faith in the deities I will improve gradually and eventually I go back to Godhead!

I hope you dont mind me using bible quotes to answer your questions and I hope the original poster does not mind it either.

John 10:27-28 "My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of my hand"

John 14: 27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.."

John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrightousness"

John 15:11 "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete"

The bible clearly states that nothing will snatch a believer from his hand. Eternal life, peace, forgiveness and joy are gifts for life with Christ.

John 14:16-17 "And I will ask the Father and He will give you another helper...That is the spirit of truth"

If you are a believer, you would know that there are many false teachers, especially on tv. The spirit of truth allows you to see things like that, it also guides you in life as well as scriptural understanding.

Romans 12:6 "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us"

This passage states that each person is given a gift, that might be good scriptural knowledge, it might be good teaching skills, it might be a good congregation and I could go on. You get what you specifically need as it states for your walk of life with Christ.

1Corinthians 11:25 "In the same way, He took the cup also after supper, saying "This cup is the new covenant in My Blood; do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me"

He is saying that this is the new contract signed with my blood, he paid the price with his blood, do you accept?

If you accept this it is sealed with the blood of Christ that was shed for you, it cannot be broken by anyone but yourself if you choose not to accept it.

I am only answering the questions raised, I hope that does answer. I have questions myself but with patience and prayer, they are answered. Sometimes I find the answers in scripture, sometimes I get a lesson in my life, sometimes specific things happen that close another door and show me the right way to walk.

It is a way of life like no other and one that I am forever grateful for being given. I never thought my life would take this direction.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Everyone has eternal life if they believe in God. But do all you have to do to get into 'heaven' is look through your book of life - see your mistakes and ask for forgiveness?

You cant run till you've fully grasped how to walk. And I think a major trap in most religions is worship, we worship Jesus instead of emulating him.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Well I'm sure glad that salvation can't be broken, so even if I'm a Hindu now, and Jesus happened to be right, I'd still go to Christian heaven as a Hindu because I got saved as a teenager.
And there's nothing against Jesus I've found in Hinduism at all. Quite to the contrary - often I find Hindus and Muslims respect Jesus more than nominal Christians.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff

Maybe they did. I have only heard of Chutes and Ladders and wonder if that is a take off on the same game mentioned here. Never heard of Snakes and Ladders before.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by XXXN3O

You cant run till you've fully grasped how to walk. And I think a major trap in most religions is worship, we worship Jesus instead of emulating him.

I cant speak for all religions as there are many.

I can say that I worship God, I worship God through the Son which is Jesus. I do not worship Jesus but rather the Father.

John 8 31-32

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I strive to be like Jesus, I cannot be Jesus however but I can learn from his teachings by following them. I dont know what makes you think that people do not want to follow him.

That is one of the points, I thought. Im a bit confused by what you mean?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

Well I'm sure glad that salvation can't be broken, so even if I'm a Hindu now, and Jesus happened to be right, I'd still go to Christian heaven as a Hindu because I got saved as a teenager.
And there's nothing against Jesus I've found in Hinduism at all. Quite to the contrary - often I find Hindus and Muslims respect Jesus more than nominal Christians.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by halfoldman]

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

I think you will know where you stand in that, not me.

If you read what I have quoted above in the thread, salvation can be broken by one person, yourself. You will know the answers to that yourself as well.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, and to paraphrase: all of us are sinners and fall short of the glory of God.
In that discursive setup neither you or me can know about secure salvation, because it is a paradox. To shift an unsure paradigm onto individual fault and knowledge begs the question: We all are sinners, but how much sin, or what kind of sin is apostasy?
If that should be answered by individuals then no sin is apostasy from salvation.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by pikestaff

Maybe they did. I have only heard of Chutes and Ladders and wonder if that is a take off on the same game mentioned here. Never heard of Snakes and Ladders before.

I have heard of both...
Chutes perhaps was replaced for snakes as some might find it offensive.
Just my 2 pennies...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Whats the lesson exactly? That some people luck out and some people cant catch a break?

To prove a point you could just as easily name the snakes virtue honour truth etc.

And just a weird point I seriously thought Vaikuntapaali was Finnish lol...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I put to you that a great majority of people who call themselves Christians don't practice what Jesus taught. I believe Jesus was a divine gift, but I disagree that the Old &/or New Testament (or the Koran, or the Tao Teh Ching, or whatever!) is the only thing we should live according to. Sure there are awesome stories that speak on multiple levels of which we can all learn from and be better people as a result. But in the end its just someone elses opinions and perceptions based on a time and place in the past about people who did amazing things and amazing events. But it's just a book.

Sure Jesus was a wise man and spoke amazing things through his parables that still resonate today. But why call yourself a Christian, or a Hindu, or a Muslim etc. I'd rather call myself an Earthling that can read and understand books. And apply knowledge, wisdom & understanding to make the world better. Which is what Jesus did.

"Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" Luke 4:8.

God is something you act through, not something to sit on a self and look in amazement at.

PS. This isn't intended as a personal attack, merely a perception and opinion in a rhetorical sense.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Terms and labels are often imposed by "out groups", and they tend to stick. I think "Hindu" was coined as a collective term for all the peoples who lived south of the Sindu or Indus river.
The same is true of "Chrisian", and the apostles did not call themselves by that Greek term.
Because my world-view is not rigid and fluid I can happily just call myself a human being.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

Yes, and to paraphrase: all of us are sinners and fall short of the glory of God.
In that discursive setup neither you or me can know about secure salvation, because it is a paradox. To shift an unsure paradigm onto individual fault and knowledge begs the question: We all are sinners, but how much sin, or what kind of sin is apostasy?
If that should be answered by individuals then no sin is apostasy from salvation.

I dont see how it is contradictory and to break it down...

Hebrews 3 12-13

See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Hebrews 6 6

If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Hebrew 10 26

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins

If you understand what Christ did for you, you will have no more need to sin because you will understand what you have been given.

As I have said before, only you can break your salvation and the bible states what breaks salvation, sin is a part of it but ultimately it is the person themselves who chooses.

Yes we fall short of the glory of God, that is the reason for Jesus.

In short, how can you believe in Jesus and understand what has been done, Yet commit sins, knowingly?

Knowledge is the key thing here, because if you know something is sinful but you do it anyway because you choose too, that is the contradiction, you might as well spit in your saviours face because thats what it is like. To not sin is wisdom (combination of knowledge and actions)

Its a bit like when you are a kid and you first see a gas hob that is lit, if you touch it, it burns and you know it causes pain. If you keep touching it, it would be contradictory to what you have learned and it would harm you. You would be wise not to put your hand on a gas hob again.

Why would you do that unless you do not understand?

Hence why I am saying, if you read the bible, pray for understanding, focus on Christ and trust the spirit of truth to guide you, you will not go wrong. Unless there is something you lack understanding of but after you learn, to do the same thing again is a choice as you are completely aware of what you are doing.

The paradox I see is that if you follow what the bible says you will have prayed, read the word for knowledge and trusted in the spirit to guide you. You should not be sinning in the first place, yet why do people? CHOICE

I hope that makes sense.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Why call yourself a Christian though? Like I said, I'd rather be a person who has read about Jesus who learns from him as much as possible, but does that mean I cant learn from the Koran or Buddhist Scriptures or Darwins Theory of Evolution either?

To me it seems restricting yourself to a dogmatic belief structure would be a Snake in a game of Snakes & Ladders.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by XXXN3O

I put to you that a great majority of people who call themselves Christians don't practice what Jesus taught. I believe Jesus was a divine gift, but I disagree that the Old &/or New Testament (or the Koran, or the Tao Teh Ching, or whatever!) is the only thing we should live according to. Sure there are awesome stories that speak on multiple levels of which we can all learn from and be better people as a result. But in the end its just someone elses opinions and perceptions based on a time and place in the past about people who did amazing things and amazing events. But it's just a book.

Sure Jesus was a wise man and spoke amazing things through his parables that still resonate today. But why call yourself a Christian, or a Hindu, or a Muslim etc. I'd rather call myself an Earthling that can read and understand books. And apply knowledge, wisdom & understanding to make the world better. Which is what Jesus did.

"Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve" Luke 4:8.

God is something you act through, not something to sit on a self and look in amazement at.

PS. This isn't intended as a personal attack, merely a perception and opinion in a rhetorical sense.

I agree with you that many people who call themselves Christians do not practice what Jesus taught.

I used to look at things similar to yourself, if Jesus was a great teacher however, why is it that nobody is listening, he clearly stated he was the son of God.

Im just saying, I look at the way I used to act and learn, I now realise that I had selective hearing. Ie Jesus, great teacher but he was not the son of God? That would make him a fool if he was not the son of God because he taught that he was.

The bible itself explains through the Old Testament (History and establishment of need for a saviour) and New Testament (Prophecy fulfilled by saviour).

I dont see a personal attack at all and vice versa.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join