It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do humans believe in an afterlife?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
because Jaxon, Humans will say and do anything to try and make ourselves immortal, also because in general humans are scared to Death of Death (no pun intended) and the thought of an afterlife and immortality comforts, and makes death seem like another journey, one that we all must take, into the afterlife

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by manbird12000

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Originally posted by Subconsciously Correct
Why is it that people who believe in life after death are the ones who are scared or do not have any proof? Couldn't it very well be that people who do not believe in life after death could be scared as well? Could it be true that neither are scared? Yes, all of the above are possible.

Here are reasons I believe in it:
Reincarnation
Hypnosis regression
Hypnosis progression
Past-life remembering
OBE's/Astral projection (I have experienced this)
NDE's - Case studies show similar occurrences in those who "die" and then come back to life.

Here is the evidence I have that it does not exist

So, I am respectful of those who disagree with my opinion, and that is what makes us different, yet the same. My challenge is, enlighten me WHY there CANNOT be life after death. I would like to see proof. Just like some of you ask for proof that it does exist, I am asking for proof it does not. I have not seen any evidence that supports the claim that nothing exists after death. Our physical body definitely doesn't, but I believe all of us can agree on that. That is not the issue of this thread. I would like to see proof that everything goes empty and nothing happens at all.

After all, why do people have to prove there is life after death when there isn't any proof there isn't life after death?

You can't prove a negative, therefore it's obvious that you shouldnt have evidence against the afterlife.
But actually, there is, it's our brain, our brain contains all of who we are, so when our brain goes kaput, so does all of who we are.
NDEs have been recreated in lab tests with centrifuges, so I would discount that.
Reincarnation has not been proven, so I don't know why you think that's evidence.
Past life remembering could be explained through a global conscious, where a person may for a moment get a memory from someone else due to the connection we all have together.
It's not my job to disprove your ridiculous theories, it's your job to prove them.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by hippomchippo]

You are correct in the beginning of your post. All of WHO we are in the 3rd dimension does vanish for the most part. As it should. Because there is no YOU (Ego). Your finger would be mistaken to believe that it is the entire body.

Proof is found in the pudding. No eat pudding...no get proof.

So why do you believe in the afterlife?
I don't understand how that's supposed to convince me, I'm happy you stopped using the cell analogy though, and are instead using the finger, I agree that we are all probably part of a larger system, I just don't think we're going to go there once we die.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l
because Jaxon, Humans will say and do anything to try and make ourselves immortal, also because in general humans are scared to Death of Death (no pun intended) and the thought of an afterlife and immortality comforts, and makes death seem like another journey, one that we all must take, into the afterlife

You can operate with your opinion, or you can do what it takes to see it for yourself.
I think you're just fine sitting on the side lines judging others with your regurgitated indoctrination.

Label anything above your 3rd dimension as Religion and you're good to go! Burn the cross and hang the witches eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by l neXus l

You can operate with your opinion, or you can do what it takes to see it for yourself.
I think you're just fine sitting on the side lines judging others with your regurgitated indoctrination.

Label anything above your 3rd dimension as Religion and you're good to go! Burn the cross and hang the witches eh?

How is your indoctrination any different?
You're preaching the same things you've been preaching since the start of the thread, the same words that you've probably taken from spiritual sites.
I would rather trust a science text book than a spiritual text book.
And may I also add that the religious were the ones burning witches.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
You can't prove a negative? Why not? If you cannot prove a negative, then you cannot prove a positive. After all, positive exists because of negative, and negative exists because of positive. How can you have one without the other?

Also, I would warn against calling my argument "ridiculous" when I have been respectful of your lack of knowledge when it comes to meditation. The least you could do is show the same respect (or don't, I really don't care). Plus, I never called you out personally. Still waiting on that proof, though. Anyone? I ask because if there is indeed proof, I want to know. This would expand my knowledge.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

You can't prove a negative? Why not? If you cannot prove a negative, then you cannot prove a positive. After all, positive exists because of negative, and negative exists because of positive. How can you have one without the other?

Also, I would warn against calling my argument "ridiculous" when I have been respectful of your lack of knowledge when it comes to meditation. The least you could do is show the same respect (or don't, I really don't care). Plus, I never called you out personally. Still waiting on that proof, though.

Prove that elfs don't exist then.
I can't believe you don't see the fallacy in this, you would have to go through every piece of matter in the universe in order to be sure that elfs dont exist, that is why it's a fallacy. And I don't have a lack of knowledge in meditating as I meditate regularly, I just don't believe it has a metaphysical basis.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

All I can say is that it really does not matter, because you WILL see it. That's the important part. It doesn't require your approval and analysis to reveal itself to you. However, the earlier you seek, the more time you can enjoy the experience of it all. Your life energy goes beyond the 3rd dimension, it requires your self identity or (EGO) to die in order to see it. When you have a near death experience, or die, or meditate VERY deeply, you will see the existence that lies beyond our realms. It is VERY real, and it is where everyone goes when they die. You will see that you are far bigger than a simple human being. That is a fact. Rest assured, you will witness it one way or another.

All I can tell you is that this can either be a beginning journey that will forever change your life here on Earth in the time you have left remaining.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Also, I would warn against calling my argument "ridiculous" when I have been respectful of your lack of knowledge when it comes to meditation. The least you could do is show the same respect (or don't, I really don't care). Plus, I never called you out personally. Still waiting on that proof, though.

I can't believe you don't see the fallacy in this, you would have to go through every piece of matter in the universe in order to be sure that elfs dont exist, that is why it's a fallacy.

What is your definition of "elf?" An elf to one person is not an elf to another. To compare something that can be generalized to an entire population to something that can be distorted by the individual is rather asinine, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

All I can say is that it really does not matter, because you WILL see it. That's the important part. It doesn't require your approval and analysis to reveal itself to you. However, the earlier you seek, the more time you can enjoy the experience of it all. Your life energy goes beyond the 3rd dimension, it requires your self identity or (EGO) to die in order to see it. When you have a near death experience, or die, or meditate VERY deeply, you will see the existence that lies beyond our realms. It is VERY real, and it is where everyone goes when they die. You will see that you are far bigger than a simple human being. That is a fact. Rest assured, you will witness it one way or another.

All I can tell you is that this can either be a beginning journey that will forever change your life, or you can stay the same.

I'm not going to reply to your posts anymore as they're starting to read like an old preacher rambling on.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I can't believe you don't see the fallacy in this, you would have to go through every piece of matter in the universe in order to be sure that elfs dont exist, that is why it's a fallacy.

What is your definition of "elf?" An elf to one person is not an elf to another. To compare something that can be generalized to an entire population to something that can be distorted by the individual is rather asinine, don't you think?

How do you think I could disprove the afterlife then?
I can't.
That doesn't mean the afterlife exists, in the same way I can't disprove a god.
How about this then, how do you know that the afterlife is the one that you think it is? What if it's a violent torture room where we're all punished forever?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I can't.
How about this then, how do you know that the afterlife is the one that you think it is? What if it's a violent torture room where we're all punished forever?

Proof of the after life (or any experience for that matter) can not be transferable. All you have are the words of the travelers.

If I were you, that would NOT be enough for me either. So maybe it's a hint that you should do some foot work yourself. Look up, meditation, chakras, binaural brainwave training, information on quantum realities. Start your journey...or not.

Why stay at home in your mind and miss the field trip of a life time?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I can't.

Proof of the after life (or any experience for that matter) can not be transferable. All you have are the words of the travelers.

If I were you, that would NOT be enough for me either. So maybe it's a hint that you should do some foot work yourself. Look up, meditation, chakras, binaural brainwave training, information on quantum realities. Start your journey...or not.

Why stay at home in your mind and miss the field trip of a life time?

Those ''travelers'' have experienced something that we CAN explain.
Scientists have recreated OBEs in centrifuges.
And answer this for me then, how come in NDEs it is always the persons personal religious belief that is shown to be true, theres almost never a person who is hindu then has a NDE and becomes a christian.
Once again, I meditate regularly, I'm not doing chakras as that is a scam used by new age charlatans to gain money from people who want to think they're special.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I can't.

Ah....and now you are touching upon it. You can't prove it does not exist, and I cannot for certainty prove to you or anyone else it does. That is why i said I believe it does and asked why it doesn't. I personally believe it does based on my own research and experiences, but that is just me.

This part is meant for everyone, not just one person: Accept your own beliefs because you believe in them, but appreciate others' beliefs even when they are different from your own. There is no reason to get all up in arms one way or the other. Unless I can stand up and show someone life after death, I am not likely to make someone who doesn't believe in it begin to believe. Unless someone can stand up and show me that it does not exist, I am not likely to believe them based on their beliefs alone.

So here we find ourselves in the meaning of life, understanding that our differences make the world a challenge, a game, a chance to gain knowledge. The biggest part of gaining knowledge is being able to accept others' beliefs when they conflict with yours. We are all different and carry different perspectives, but we are all the same because we all have differences. Topics such as life after death give us a chance to realize there are a lot of different yet educated opinions, yet not one completely agreed upon "fact."

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I can't.

Ah....and now you are touching upon it. You can't prove it does not exist, and I cannot for certainty prove to you or anyone else it does. That is why i said I believe it does and asked why it doesn't. I personally believe it does based on my own research and experiences, but that is just me.

This part is meant for everyone, not just one person: Accept your own beliefs because you believe in them, but appreciate others' beliefs even when they are different from your own. There is no reason to get all up in arms one way or the other. Unless I can stand up and show someone life after death, I am not likely to make someone who doesn't believe in it begin to believe. Unless someone can stand up and show me that it does not exist, I am not likely to believe them based on their beliefs alone.

So here we find ourselves in the meaning of life, understanding that our differences make the world a challenge, a game, a chance to gain knowledge. The biggest part of gaining knowledge is being able to accept others' beliefs when they conflict with yours. We are all different and carry different perspectives, but we are all the same because we all have differences. Topics such as life after death give us a chance to realize there are a lot of different yet educated opinions, yet not one completely agreed upon "fact."

Am I going to have to put this in big caps?
I AM ALL FOR AN AFTERLIFE, I HAVE NO OBJECTION TO IT.
There's just no evidence for it, therefore I will await the evidence then come to rational conclusions, like you should have.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

And answer this for me then, how come in NDEs it is always the persons personal religious belief that is shown to be true, theres almost never a person who is hindu then has a NDE and becomes a christian.
Once again, I meditate regularly, I'm not doing chakras as that is a scam used by new age charlatans to gain money from people who want to think they're special.

To the beginning question, the Law of Attraction states that our beliefs shape who we are. This is supported by our bodies and neural pathways. Our neural pathways reshape and form new connections when we change our beliefs. I cannot prove this to you by any means. All I can say is that it has worked for many. It once cured my broken bone enough to where I couldn't feel any pain. As soon as I passed basic training, the pain came back and was worse than ever.

I do not believe you should look up chakra meditation if you do not wish to, but please do not call it "new age." If by new age you mean hundreds and thousands of years ago, then okay it is new age.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You're clouded by opinion and personal experience. Don't stop on your journey now.

You have to put some effort into this.

You speak about chakra's and meditation yet know nothing about them or have any desire whatsoever to experience them yourself. What does that say about your desire to seek? Come on man, get up off your hind quarters and jump in the journey. You're still sitting back in the cave going over Rosswell photos and wandering about who shot JFK!

J.K. about the last part, but you really need to catch up on what's happening.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

To the beginning question, the Law of Attraction states that our beliefs shape who we are. This is supported by our bodies and neural pathways. Our neural pathways reshape and form new connections when we change our beliefs. I cannot prove this to you by any means. All I can say is that it has worked for many. It once cured my broken bone enough to where I couldn't feel any pain. As soon as I passed basic training, the pain came back and was worse than ever.

I do not believe you should look up chakra meditation if you do not wish to, but please do not call it "new age." If by new age you mean hundreds and thousands of years ago, then okay it is new age.

That's called placebo effect, it works wonders.
Chakra meditation is used by the new age people, that is why I consider it new age.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You're clouded by opinion and personal experience. Don't stop on your journey now.

You have to put some effort into this.

You speak about chakra's and meditation yet know nothing about them or have any desire whatsoever to experience them yourself. What does that say about your desire to seek? Come on man, get up off your hind quarters and jump in the journey. You're still sitting back in the cave going over Rosswell photos and wandering about who shot JFK!

J.K. about the last part, but you really need to catch up on what's happening.

I MEDITATE REGULARLY
For gods sake i've said this over 4 times now, please read a little closer.
I don't do chakra meditation, the problem I have with it, is charlatans who use it to furthur their agenda by saying that it's a gateway to another dimension and usually charge a nominal fee.
Oh, and I don't believe in the roswell crash

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

There's just no evidence for it, therefore I will await the evidence then come to rational conclusions, like you should have.

There is no evidence for you maybe. I, on the other hand, have plenty of evidence that makes me believe in it. I also formed a rational conclusion based on that evidence. I am not saying you should believe in it. Obviously you do not have the evidence you desire. That's a shame since you wish there was a life after death.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

There is no evidence for you maybe. I, on the other hand, have plenty of evidence that makes me believe in it. I also formed a rational conclusion based on that evidence. I am not saying you should believe in it. Obviously you do not have the evidence you desire. That's a shame since you wish there was a life after death.

Why not share that evidence then?
Is it because the evidence has been debunked? Is that why it's evidence for you, not me? Is it because I use rational thinking and evidence to come to conclusions?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join