It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do humans believe in an afterlife?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you want to be convinced I suggest you read the 3 books by Robert A Monroe.
Journeys out of Body
Far Journeys
Ultimate journey
I got them free from scribd

There is plenty on youtube too-
www.youtube.com...

He did decades of research into OBEs- he convinced me

[edit on 12-3-2010 by margaretr]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Other then "personal" experience which is meaningless to explain to someone unless they have gone through it...

We all come from somewhere... and so we end up.. going somewhere! Energy can not be destoryed... it is was there in the past, it is here now and it will always exist. So if we (our consciousness, soul, "I") are made up of energy then so we shall maintain to be energy and live till eternity.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by freighttrain]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There is no scientific evidence for the afterlife, NDEs are simply the brain dying and freaking out, there is no reason to believe it is anything else as there has been no evidence provided for them.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Because Some of them remember the last life.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

While other have, I made no mention of NDE's in the OP. It was data gathered in Ghost Hunting expeditions that I sited as scientific evidence supporting the existence of an afterlife. That and the work done in Physics concerning energy.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
We all have some experience with death.

It is like waking up from a dream.

The idea the “beingness“might “end” is nothing but an illusion.

There is no reason to believe there ISN’T an afterlife…

The fundamental nature of consciousness makes it easy to see the difference between the temporary physical experience and the constant observer.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Right now I'm at the conclusion that there is no life after death for a few reasons.

1. I don't think we are some "highly powerful and great spiritual beings that forgot who we were" or so some of the New Ages movement seems to believe. I used to be on that bandwagon, but now it just seems silly to me. I mean really? We forgot who we were? How does that happen. lol

2. Energy is recycled, but that doesn't mean reincarnation is real and we experience consciousness after death. It means our bodies decompose and provide the nutrients for other living things.

3. I almost died one time and my NDE was that of, you guessed it, blackness. Just like when you are asleep. I went to sleep that night and woke up in the hospital with no recall of what happened.

Just because I don't believe in an conscious afterlife doesn't mean I don't have morals either. I don't steal and cheat people. I give people the respect they deserve. Some people deserve it more than others.

These are my opinions. Maybe in a year, a month, or maybe tomorrow I'll believe the exact opposite because your opinion of things are always changing depending on your experiences.

And it's not like I don't reject the idea of an conscious afterlife, I'm all for one, but until there is hard scientific evidence all it is is a theory, an idea, and a belief.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by doped00]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There is abundant evidence to suggest that the early Homo Sapiens ingested plants that had psychoactive and hallucinogenic properties.

The same practise continues today in ritualised shamanism throughout the world by tribal peoples.

These early humans experienced altered states of conciousness, this led them to theorise on the existence of a 'spirit' realm. Some of the plants even produced an effect where the user could meet his dead relatives, the Iboga plant for instance, the rituals connected to this plant are still practised to this day by the Bwiti in Africa.

The usage of psychoactive and hallucinogenic plants pre-date all known religions, and is thought by many scholars to be the actual root of all spiritual belief systems.

The usage of psychoactive and hallucinogenic plants was widespread, universal, although evidence shows that people who were living where there was no plants with these properties available used other shamanic techniques to enter altered states(drumming, fasting etc.)

It can, and will be, argued as to the 'reality' of these altered states. However what is known is that virtually every race, creed and color of people all over the world practised shamanism, up until the spread and conquest of the monotheistic Abrahamic religions, which themselves had their roots in shamanic experiences, but had eventually supplanted the individuals right to commune with the 'spirit world' by using middle men such as priests, rabbi's etc. which was unfortunate

All of our varied human beliefs in the 'afterlife', 'heaven', 'souls' etc come from these early altered states experienced by our ancestors, and practised by them for thousands and thousands of years, long before there was 'one God' or 'Jesus' or 'Moses' or 'Muhammed'.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by seabhac-rua]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Just in case it was not clear enough in the OP, I not only believe I have a 'soul', or eternal essence, but that it will continue on after this biological vessel it is currently residing in ceases to function. I also believe that this is not the first time (and probably not the last) it has resided in such a vessel.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wash222

Myself I was unsure of life after death until I began to have OBE's. It happened at a time of grief when I was begging for answers. Someone not here physically went out of their way to share this knowledge with me.
It proved to me there is life after death and that we exist outside our physical body. I wish everyone could have experienced what I have, I almost look forward to the end of my physical life here.

Let us first take a look at the word "God".

God, from the Torah/Quran/Bible/whatever may have you, is a shadowy, far off, seperate entity that you must worship and beseech too.

This entity simply cannot exist:

Why? The first and most important reason is the fact that for something, such as "God", to be eternal or having neither a begining nor end must be Infinite.

Infinity cannot be seperate from itself, you cannot have two Infinities/Everythings that is impossible. There can only be Unity or else it has no referent or meaning.

So let us talk about the Creator and not "God" (which is man made).

The One Infinite Creator is therefor singular, a Unity, and is indefinite. Neither having begining nor end, but simply being in the eternal present.

What does this mean? It's simple, You are the One Creator, which is Infinity, you have neither a begining nor end. You experience yourself (Infinity) through finite continuums, thus due to the Infinite finite (oxymoron not intended) continuums you are free to experience Infinity (You) indefinitley.

Seperateness is just an illusion created by the One Creator to better know itself. Infinity cannot just know itself, without finite experiences within the Infinity that it is.

Would you like to say hi to the One Infinite Creator? Go look in the mirror and say "Hello!"

Namastè

[edit on 12-3-2010 by 11118]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There are two things that I am beginning to see in my own life. One of them is this: Those who can not see the Truth....can not see it. Those who do see the truth...See it.

At each end of the spectrum, they are both seeing a reality. The difference is that the blind one can not see that far.

The only thing that can make them see it, is to bring them back to their beginning. Our memories were all cosmically designed to remind us of our beginning. That is the jump out of your 3rd dimension, and a peek at the 4th and beyond. In all dimensions above the 3rd, it is plainly obvious to those seekers that God and his Universe of conscience is staring right at you.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

While other have, I made no mention of NDE's in the OP. It was data gathered in Ghost Hunting expeditions that I sited as scientific evidence supporting the existence of an afterlife. That and the work done in Physics concerning energy.

Ghost hunting expeditions is laughable as scientific evidence of the afterlife.
Human energy comes in three forms, chemical energy, heat and electrical energy,
The heat simply dissipate into the air when we die, the electrical energy is converted into heat, chemical energy is the closest we get to keeping some of it, because it stays in our bones, but is broken down by bugs, worms, etc

[edit on 12-3-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Energy dissapates into the ground after we die.

Scientific evidence? Nothing in science 100% proven, science is laughable. When someone says scientific fact they are uneducated in what exactly a fact is.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Only the energy of our bodies. You, however, are not your body. You have a conscience that exists within the energy field of your brain waves, What you see out of your eyes is just a portal into the 3rd dimension. That is all.

You are an Avatar.

A person dies and realizes "Oh my God, I am the Earth and everybody in it!"

The Earth wil die and realize "Oh my God, I am the SUN and all of the planets!!"

The Sun will die and realize "Oh my God, I am the Galaxy and all the suns in it!"

The Galaxy will die and realize "Oh my God, I am the Universe and all the Galaxies in it!"

The Universe will die and realize "Oh my God, I am ..." etc..

In Death, two things are common, "God" and "I AM"

[edit on 12-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11118

Scientific evidence? Nothing in science 100% proven, science is laughable. When someone says scientific fact they are uneducated in what exactly a fact is.

I never said scientific fact.
I said there is NO scientific evidence( IE trial and error, vigorous testing) of ghosts, you're free to believe in whatever whacky theory you want, it doesnt mean you get to call it scientific evidence.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by manbird12000

Only the energy of our bodies. You, however, are not your body. You have a conscience that exists within the energy field of your brain waves, What you see out of your eyes is just a portal into the 3rd dimension. That is all.

You are an Avatar.

Yes, I am my body, sorry.
All mental processes are done by the brain, my brain is who I am, i'm not some metaphysical new age ghost.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by manbird12000

Exactly.

Namastè!

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You are an Avatar.

All mental processes are done by the brain, my brain is who I am, i'm not some metaphysical new age ghost.

In all honesty, in terms of the bigger picture. It doesn't really matter what you think you are. It doesn't change reality. A cell in my body that dares to think that HE is all that is, will be a lonely cell. Why throw away your immortality?

It's obvious that you have not literally seen the truth like so many others have and will continue to. Therefore, how can anybody judge someone who is operating only with his 5 senses. The 5 senses alone is enough after you have seen over the mountain top, but what I don't understand is why would someone throw away his own deep desire to seek it? Has your 3rd dimensional life been that difficult and disappointing to even give it a chance?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

You are an Avatar.

In all honesty, in terms of the bigger picture. It doesn't really matter what you think you are. It doesn't change reality. A cell in my body that dares to think that HE is all that is, will be a lonely cell. Why throw away your immortality?

It's obvious that you have not literally seen the truth like so many others have and will continue to. Therefore, how can anybody judge someone who is operating only with his 5 senses. The 5 senses alone is enough after you have seen over the mountain top, but what I don't understand is why would someone throw away his own deep desire to see it?

Yes, i'm obviously blinded to all the overwhelming proof of an afterlife.
Oh wait, there isn't any, you can continue to throw philosophical curveballs at me, but i'm looking for evidence, not conjecture, until you can give actual evidence for an afterlife, I will continue to not believe in one

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You are free to stay in the cave and wait for others to bring you proof of the world outside your mind. You seem to enjoy the fact that this will never happen. Therefore you feel just fine thinking the way you do knowing that nothing can ever refute it, after all, you are completely locked into the 3rd dimension. That is until you are taking your last breath or you have been gifted with seeing the light, like me and many others have. The numbers are growing every day. And it's NOT a religion.

However, why on Earth would I feel obligated to tell a nonseeker anything? You don't want to peek outside your mental reality and see what's on the other side. Fine by me.

In the end, those who haven't seen already, will see.

Please don't think you have to convince me that you are just fine where you are. You're right. You ARE there.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join