It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to pay up to $657M to settle WTC health cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

NYC to pay up to $657M to settle WTC health cases

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – After years of fighting in court, lawyers representing the city, construction companies and more than 10,000 ground zero rescue and recovery workers have agreed to a settlement that could pay up to $657.5 million to responders sickened by dust from the destroyed World Trade Center.

The settlement was announced Thursday evening by the WTC Captive Insurance Co., a special entity established to indemnify the city and its contractors against potential legal action as they moved to clean up the site after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The deal, which still must be approved
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
well it's about time. This is a victory for everyone who has fought long and hard on this issue, however there still appears to be some red tape concerning this issue. At least I am so glad to hear that they finally stopped ignoring the "unsung heroes" of 9/11, the first responders. I'm also looking forward to hearing from them personally on their trying battle with this. I think this is a big wake up call for people who are still in the dark concerning 9/11, the fact that so many first responders were suffering without any type of help from the government. Many people do not even know that there is anything wrong with the first responders. The article says the workers have to agree to the settlement, which does not seem unlikely, but also a judge has to approve of it. This is potentially the stopper here, I can't believe any judge would not approve of this. The only way a worker would not go for this is if they think it is unfair on a technical level. They also have to prove they were there at the time, which I don't think would be too hard since there are obvious work records of it. But for how many there are, I wonder if that amount is enough?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2010 by ancient_wisdom]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

At least I am so glad to hear that they finally stopped ignoring the "unsung heroes" of 9/11, the first responders.

"UNSUNG HEROES of 9/11"...theres nothing 'UNSUNG' here.
The ENTIRE world saw or has heard about what these guys, the first responders, did that day.

Be they FDNY, NYPD, EMS or NYPAD, all served and meany fell. On that day a lot of the heroes didnt even where a uniform, it was the average Joe or Jane n the street who stopped for 30 seconds to help someone else, they where heroes too.

I dont think these guys would want to be called heores.
For the first responders that day, it was 'just another day at the office' but what a hell of a day.
They risk their lives every day, and i think thats something that the man in the street will ever be able to understand.
As any FDNY will tell you, the real heroes that day are the ones that never made it home.
That day will be burned into their memories for enternity, apiece of everyone died that day.
I think that day proved John Donn right when he said "no man is an island".

As for the compensation, 'how high the price'.
What compensation can the city give a man for what he suffered that day, for what he still suffers and will suffer all his life.

What price can the city pay to compensate.
The answers a simple one - NEVER ENOUGH.
And then for a judge to have it deemed TOo MUCH???

Robert Burns wrote a poem many years ago, because he thought that the average guy in the street didnt apreciate how many lives here lost by fishermen just to put a fish on a plate -

How how the price
How deep the water
That makes widows out of wives
For this is not fish your eating, it is mens lives.

I ask the same of the city.

How high the price
How high the danger
That makes widows out of wives
For this is not medical care that your buying
IT IS MENS LIVES.

THE CITY CAN NEVER AND WILL NEVER PAY ENOUGH.

[edit on 12-3-2010 by andy1972]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The ball is really starting to roll for 9/11 justice.

Hopefully it will be a snow ball.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

lets hope so.
Lets hope that its a snowball that dont stop for anything or anybody regardless of who or where they are.

FIAT JUSTITIA RUAT CAELUM
LET JUSTICE BE DONE THOUGH THE HEAVENS FALL.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
It's amazing the EPA isn't even being mentioned here, it thought THEY were the ones who claimed the air/dust was safe to breathe.

FEMA is paying a billion dollar grant though. That's not bad.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Why won't these conspiracy theories go away! You've been debunked over and over again. The government told the whole truth about 9/11. These people are all faking being sick and dying. They're all antisemitic rag head lovers.

"I am glad to reassure the people of New York and Washington D.C. that their air is safe to breathe and their water is safe to drink.." -- Christine Todd Whitman, administrator in charge of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and former New Jersey governor

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crito
Why won't these conspiracy theories go away! You've been debunked over and over again. The government told the whole truth about 9/11. These people are all faking being sick and dying. They're all antisemitic rag head lovers

Faking being sick and dying ????

Antisemetic raghead lovers???

Whos faking???
Whos lying???

Shouldnt it be antiraghead and semetic lovers????

ARE THERE ANY MODS ON THIS THREAD???

What crap is this guy talking..

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

LOL, OK OK, you nailed me. I'm busted.

Click link below to see the video YouTube keeps deleting:
blip.tv...

[edit on 12-3-2010 by Crito]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1972

Originally posted by Crito
Why won't these conspiracy theories go away! You've been debunked over and over again. The government told the whole truth about 9/11. These people are all faking being sick and dying. They're all antisemitic rag head lovers

Faking being sick and dying ????

Antisemetic raghead lovers???

Whos faking???
Whos lying???

Shouldnt it be antiraghead and semetic lovers????

ARE THERE ANY MODS ON THIS THREAD???

What crap is this guy talking..

considering his screen name is STOP AIPAC, I think he's being sarcastic, either that or he's trying to run for a position in congress.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ancient_wisdom

About time i say. Whatever we all think/feel about what happened on that day, it is important to remember that this was a human story with many victims right up until this very day. These brave people deserve every last cent.

I do wonder how the fallout from the towers such as the asbestos used in the construction of the towers affected regular New Yorkers, who just live there, health wise?

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Hey andy.
Question.
Do you think the responders could do more by demanding a REINVESTIGATION along with their settlement?
I am not saying that they are not the TOPS in my opinion. They are higher than that.
I am just thinking about opportunity.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Donny 4 million

Truthfully -

If every first responder, if every person who was affected, or touched by that day demanded a reinvestigation, if they did it as a group, united, and not just a few at a time here and there...then yes i think they should. There is strength in unity.

I think then the world and especially Washington, would have to listen.

If thousands of FDNY, NYPD, EMS or whoever, publicly declare they are NOT happy with the first investigation and go public to say it...then i think that thousands more would follow.
The problem is nobody wants to be the first to say. The threat of loosing your job is a great motivation.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I just watched a guy on the news who said he needed the bucks so bad for his family that he could'nt afford not to ACCEPT.
Sad. I think we should all pool some money for these heros. But alas they have only 90 days.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Money well spent IMO.

We've spent FAR MORE on the war....TRILLIONS. This shouldn't have taken this long in the first place.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
...from the article...

Still, with 10,000 plaintiffs involved in the case, success isn't assured. Only $575 million of the settlement is guaranteed. Some workers will qualify for only the minimum payment of $3,250. Any award they get could be depleted by a third or more once the plaintiffs' lawyers take their cut.

...this is a STFU deal... 95% of the plaintiffs have to agree or the deal is off for everyone... let me make that clearer... if only 94% of the plaintiffs want the deal, its off... its a FEMA grant - slow and insulting, as usual...

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...from the article...

Still, with 10,000 plaintiffs involved in the case, success isn't assured. Only $575 million of the settlement is guaranteed. Some workers will qualify for only the minimum payment of $3,250. Any award they get could be depleted by a third or more once the plaintiffs' lawyers take their cut.

...this is a STFU deal... 95% of the plaintiffs have to agree or the deal is off for everyone... let me make that clearer... if only 94% of the plaintiffs want the deal, its off... its a FEMA grant - slow and insulting, as usual...

And just compare it to any large government backed ECO's yearly bonus.
AIG or Fred and Fanny. Totally disgusting.
It's like a freekin onion offered FREE by a steakhouse to returning war veterans.

new topics

top topics

join