It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet helped Flight 253 suspect radicalize, attack plane 'within weeks'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Internet helped Flight 253 suspect radicalize, attack plane 'within weeks'

thehill.com...

The Internet allowed extremists to contact, recruit, train and equip the suspect responsible for the attempted Flight 253 bombing on Christmas Day "within weeks," a top Pentagon official told lawmakers Wednesday. That relatively brief timeframe only speaks to how quickly extremist groups have "optimized" the Web and developed a "highly evolved" process by which to develop terrorist networks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/11/2010 by Erasurehead]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I found this article disturbing. They are pointing to the internet as the reason why this person suddenly radicalized and decided to try to blow up a plane.

They can't be serious. They are actually blaming the web!!
Coming soon, total government control of the internet all in the name of protecting us from scary terrorists.

What a joke. I hope people can see right though this ploy to gain control of all web content.

thehill.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/11/2010 by Erasurehead]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Wasnt this proven this guy was working for the CIA, and that bombing on those CIA guys in iraq or whatever was a part of this..

Call me crazy but I think this should belong as a tabloid piece not actual news.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
hah i dont think anyone who has common sense will belive this.

its clear that they set the whole thing up, freedom is fading away... in a few months we'll be slaves.... the only free people are those who have nothing to lose... most of us have too much valuables that we'r not willing to sacrifice or leave behind

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There were signs they will point to the internet! I wonder what will it take to acknowledge the faulty foreign policy and the silly war on terror.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Of course they used the net, so does everyone to plan stuff, whether terrorism related or otherwise.

It's not surprising since the net has freedom of speech and free-flow (or cheap-flow) of information.

Maybe it'll be news next that terrorists use money, or even pen & paper to write a shopping list of explosive equipment. Shall we ban also paper to prevent terrorism?

Closing down internet blogs will only push terrorists to use other blogs, or set up their own. It would be more effective to leave the blogs open, and let them think it's a safe haven to make plans whilst closely monitoring the sites. We have to be clever, like we were in WW2 when we cracked the nazi enigma code, and only used the information intelligently as to not allow the germans to realise we had cracked it, and so they would continue to use the already cracked codes and so continue to provide us with intel until something big was planned.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
They have been working on taking the freedom out of the internet for a while.
Come IP v.6 they'll finally be able to tag every man, woman, child, and gadget with unique IPs. Added to the subliminal move away from anonymity (register everywhere with working e-mail, facebook, etc) soon we will be permanently accessible in their locked-down Internet 2.

"The old Internet is full of spam, malware, criminals, pedophiles, and terrorists!"
"You don't want to be mistaken for a terrorist? Join the all new free Internet 2!
(restrictions apply, noncompliance is treason)"

[edit on 2010.3.11 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
www.newkerala.com...

Experts slam London University for being 'complicit' in radicalisation of Muslim students

London, Dec. 30 : Terrorism experts have accused the London University of being 'complicit' in the radicalisation of Muslim students, such as Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Nigerian-bomber who tried to blow up the Detroit-bound flight in Christmas Day.

The Telegraph quoted Anthony Glees, professor of security and intelligence studies at the University of Buckingham, as saying that University College London, where Abdulmutallab was recently president of the Islamic Society, has "failed grotesquely" to prevent radical preachers from giving lectures on campus.

"I believe Abdulmutallab's radicalisation from being a devoted Muslim to a suicide bomber took place in the UK and I believe al-Qaeda recruited him in London. Universities and colleges like UCL have got to realise that you don't get suicide bombers unless they have first been radicalised," Glees said.

Douglas Murray, of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: "UCL has not just failed to prevent students being radicalised, they have been complicit. If any other society at UCL invited someone to speak who encouraged killing homosexuals, that society would be banned immediately, but academics are afraid of taking action when it involves Islamic societies in case they are accused of Islamophobia."

In 2007, when Abdulmutallab was studying at UCL, the Islamic Society held a five-day series of lectures and seminars about the War on Terror, which have been criticised as anti-Western propaganda.

UCL has confirmed that Abdulmutallab was president of its Islamic Society from 2006-07, but has insisted he "never gave his tutors any cause for concern".

Among the other terrorists who have graduated from British universities are former London School of Economics student Omar Sheikh, who beheaded the Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in 2002 and former Kings College London students Asif Hanif and Omar Khan Sharif, who carried out a suicide bomb attack on a bar in Tel Aviv in 2003.

Abdullah Ahmed Ali, the leader of the 2006 liquid bomb plot to blow up transatlantic airliners, was a graduate of City University in London.

Lets listen to the experts they blame London University.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
That’s funny, every time I log onto the net I have the sudden urge to fly a plane into a building.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If you look at past trends, it's clear that they are going to outlaw the internet because it was used in terrorist attacks..

One just has to look at the patterns:

Paper : Outlawed because it has been used to write plans on.
Pens : Outlawed because it has been used to write plans.
Automobiles : Outlawed because they have been used in bombings.
Bombs : because they have been used to bomb
Guns: because they have been used to shoot bullets in terrorist attacks.
Clothes: because they have been used for disguises
disguises: because they have been used

...and the 100% UNDENIABLE PROOF:

TERRORISM: It has been outlawed because it has been used in terrorism.

new topics

top topics

join