It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Pit Bull Breed Ignorance

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

No but he doesnt attack all other dogs, he is very friendly towards stray dogs ...he only tries to charge and attack pet (owned) dogs. nothing else.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

Sorry. I don't have enough stray dogs in my neighborhood to really emphasize with the situation.
Jumped to thinking it meant ANY dogs, while out for a walk.

But, yeah... The idea of a dog not defending it's home against a break in is a funny one... No offense.
I always joked about how a robber would break into my home, and steal my dog, ALONG with all the valuables.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well there are lott of strays around where I live, I feed a few too. Labras are very very friendly and I really mean it, sometimes I hate how much friendly he is but he is my life.

Anyway, what I want to say is he wont mind a stray standing next too me or when I pet them so it;s not a territorial issue also. Guess I will never be able to understand my dog

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
there are e-books on dog psychology on the web, I'll see if I can relocate them for you.

Pertaining to your dog's behavior, I now see the whole picture.

lol, the two dogs - which competition of owner is king - are literally competing over who's who, thus the attacks. It's a combination of challenge / jealousy that sparks some dogs, sometimes just one of these. Owned dogs (vs. "top dog" type dogs... AKA strays) have a sense of inferiority due to them having to remain as "second level dog" to a well intentioned master that insists on training.

The two dogs therefore turn on each other sometimes to see who will be "top dog" outside their own circle - once again, the territorial issue.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkspARCS

It would be great help if you could link me to such a e-book or link. I have tried to understand this from a long time but to no avail.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

You may be experiencing what they call "Leash Aggression". Just do a Google search, there is a lot of info on it. Here is an exerpt from a paper , I don't have the source handy, this is not my work.

There are two types of leash aggression.The first is when a dog is more aggressive when he's on a leash, but happy off it. This is generally because he feels restrained by the leash and doesn't have the power to leave if he wants to, and so he's aggressive to keep other dogs back from him.

The second type is your type: dogs who are aggressive to other dogs on leashes. I'm not too sure why this happens, but it does. What you need to do is teach your dog that a leashed dog approaching is a good thing. Say away from punishments, tugs and "No"s when you see another dog approaching, this just reinforces in his mind that "another dog" = "bad things" and will likely make him worse. Instead, go somewhere where there's a few leashed dogs but not many. Take a huge big pile of treats (it's probably best not to feed your dog before hand so he's hungry). Sit somewhere out of the way, so dogs will be passing but not too close. Keep your dog on a leash. As soon as you see another dog start stuffing treats into your dogs mouth. As soon as the dog has passed, stop giving out treats. Repeat for several days anytime you see another dog (you may want to cut down on his meals for a bit
)

You should start getting to the point where your dog automatically looks for his treats when another dog approaches. At this point you can slow the rate of reinforcement, so try a treat every few seconds, rather than constantly. As he gets better and better at passing other dogs, ignoring them and eating his treats, you ca slow down the treat flow even more until he's just getting one or two for passing other dogs. If he starts reacting to other dogs again up the rate of reinforcement again.You need to kep you more interesting than the other dogs.

Work slowly, start with the other dogs far away and slowly work them closer. Stay relaxed, if you tense up so will he. And don't expect an instant fix, there's no such thing in dog training.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tartarspoon

Thank you very much for this, I have not heard about this before guess I was looking in wrong direction. Really appreciate it. I will try to find more about this.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
found a great site about a person known as the Dog Whisperer - who happens to have his own show on Animal Planet relating to dogs.

The site has alot of downloadable ebooks on the topics relating to dogs...

here's one that may interest you:

Walking on Leash

the site is located HERE - take a look and see if any of these will help!

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I would never, NEVER own a pit bull. Why? That is simple. I would never own one because I would be terrified. Terrified that my beloved, sweet dogs would be ripped away from me and even killed because some idiot got it in their head that there should be a breed ban where ever I happened to be living at the time.

Even pit bulls, Staffordshires, and American Staffordshires that were bred to fight were NOT bred to be aggressive toward humans. In truth, they were supposed to be tractable toward humans and aggressive toward dogs. I will say that bad breeding has led to some overly aggressive bully breed dogs, BUT it has also led to some overly aggressive dogs in many other breeds, too. Dalmatians after the 101 Dalmatians movie came out turned into absolute monsters. Give me a well-bred bully breed ANY day, thank you!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join