It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9mm vs .380

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Why settle for 9mm or .380 even if you want concealment there are many other calibers that offer more stopping power in a little package. Pretty much every gun maker now offers guns specifically for concealed carry many are chambered in .40S&W and .45acp. If your going for a semi-auto gun I'd go with the battle proven .45acp its been around over 100years, very popular caliber, lots of stopping power and pretty accurate too, recoil is also mild in my opinion unless you use some of the +P ammo they have a more robust recoil because there loaded with more powder.

If you like revolvers I would recommend a .357magnum recoil is a bit more than a .45acp but with the .357 you also have the luxury of using a .38 cal bullet that has much less recoil and cheaper too but doesn't offer as much stopping power as .357mag. There is a big reason many departments don't use 9mm as much as the bigger rounds because you'd have to empty a whole clip to stop an attacker under the effects of drugs or alchohol. With a .40S&W, .45acp, 10mm, .357mag, .44mag you have better than a 90% chance the attacker will drop with 1 round placed in center mass.

Here is a link you can check out if interested about ballistics of different rounds
firearmstactical.com

I would also like to add for home defense purposes NOTHING comes close to a 12 guage shotgun by far the best, if someone breaks in my home and it wakes me up there getting greated to my Remington 870 12 guage

[edit on 11/3/10 by Aliensdoexist]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oppaperclip

9mm and 380 are hard to get, especially last year. 9mm is in heavy use in the military, and LEOs use it as well.

380s are excellent guns for women and beginners because of the compact size, and lack of significant kick.

Due to the threat of gun legislation last year many people began to buy up many types of guns, and the smaller calibers got very popular. At least were I live the lack of supply has gotten better, but I don't want to speak for everyone.

Personally I use an AK47 for home defense, and have at least one of my pistols ready for back up.

I have been getting strange phone calls from a Sam Gordon also so yes I do have an escape plan as well.

Street sweepers are definitely good and I have two. One of which is in a bug out bag with lots of extra ammo, and it has an extended magazine.

Guns are a very personal decision, but I think you are on the right track getting the opinion of other people.

The comment about being good guns for ladies is my other thought. I would like to teach my significant other to shoot, and I figured both 9mm and ,380 would be good to get he started.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Taurus 9mm is the same as Baretta 9mm with the exception of the magazines. Those are the only parts that arn't inerchangeble. I paid $350 each for both our Taurus' and have had no problems with either one of them.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Puts on my cowboy hat slips into my southern drawl and says,
Need to drag ya along with me for a spell and learn ya a thing or 20...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1cd5de0374ec.jpg[/atsimg]
I bought this P94 week an a half ago from retiring cop... $360 gun laser holster mag pouch and three mag's ... he didn't want to give me the extra mags but I ask what good is a gun without mags?

Look at local ad's go to the gun shows, make offers to trade and part trade... more than one way to beat MSRP ya know

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

Taurus 9mm is the same as Baretta 9mm with the exception of the magazines. Those are the only parts that arn't inerchangeble. I paid $350 each for both our Taurus' and have had no problems with either one of them.

Agreed, Taurus's are fine firearms. However, depending on which model you are talking about, many have large grips, requiring larger hands to shoot comfortably.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist

Why settle for 9mm or .380 even if you want concealment there are many other calibers that offer more stopping power in a little package. Pretty much every gun maker now offers guns specifically for concealed carry many are chambered in .40S&W and .45acp. If your going for a semi-auto gun I'd go with the battle proven .45acp its been around over 100years, very popular caliber, lots of stopping power and pretty accurate too, recoil is also mild in my opinion unless you use some of the +P ammo they have a more robust recoil because there loaded with more powder.

If you like revolvers I would recommend a .357magnum recoil is a bit more than a .45acp but with the .357 you also have the luxury of using a .38 cal bullet that has much less recoil and cheaper too but doesn't offer as much stopping power as .357mag. There is a big reason many departments don't use 9mm as much as the bigger rounds because you'd have to empty a whole clip to stop an attacker under the effects of drugs or alchohol. With a .40S&W, .45acp, 10mm, .357mag, .44mag you have better than a 90% chance the attacker will drop with 1 round placed in center mass.

Here is a link you can check out if interested about ballistics of different rounds
firearmstactical.com

1)As I said before, I am on a budget. .45 is nto realistic.
2)Dont want a revolver. The only reason I would go that route is for home defense, and Ill take my 12 guage over any revolver out there.
3)If I am going to shoot someone, I am shooting to kill. So emptying a clip isnt really my concern.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thanks! PRetty much exactly where i was leaning(if I go with 9mm).

I really appreciate your time and info in this thread!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith

Agreed, Taurus's are fine firearms. However, depending on which model you are talking about, many have large grips, requiring larger hands to shoot comfortably.

So, you guys are high on the Taurus models? I like the look and size of them, but have read one too many bad review on them.
You guys would recommend them? Even over a ruger?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thats really interesting, thank you for posting that!

Are .380 rounds that much more rare than 9mm?

I just checked at Cabela's and it seems that both 9mm and .380 is on back order across the board. .40S&W is more readily available. .38spl and .38spl+P are both still pretty common.

I think given what you are looking for and the current ammo situation a .38 or .357 magnum might be a good choice. A .357 magnum would give you the option to fire .357 magnum or .38spl. The extra weight might also help with recoil control when shooting a .38spl or .38spl+P round.

Just my .02 cent.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm no fan of 6 shooters either. Most are accurate, but they are limited, and if you go big .500 or 45-70 you only get five shots.

A good 9mm with hi cap mags can give you 15rnd so you can effectively spray and pray. Not that you should do that in a home defense situation, but hey the option is there.

shot gun news is a good source for "cheap" weapons, people are looking to unload. Plus it has many companies with sales of new firearms.

Also J&G sales has good deals on weapons and ammo.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by oppaperclip]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I am a 47 year old woman, I have had a S and W 38 which I hated, to much recoil, a 12 gauge shotgun, to much recoil for me, got rid of that, have a couple 22`s for plinking.
But my favorite is my Glock 17, 9 mm, best gun I ever owned, It is not to heavy, not that expensive, and never jams no matter what ammo I run through it.
I saw a video where a guy dug up a Glock that had been buried in mud for a year or two hosed it off then fired 500 straight rounds through it without stopping, it never jammed.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I wouldn't say I'm high on the Taurus models. They are probably the best in the price range you are ready to spend. Some of their models are good for small hands, but may are very bulky in the grip area.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up so why bother asking people for their advice??

You can find a plethera of lightly used .45's at gun shops, pawn shops. Last time I went to Gander Mountain they had 8 used .45 used guns for sale under $400 lowest price was $300 don't know what your budget is but if its anything less than that I wouldn't trust shooting it. And no semi-auto will ever come close to the simplicity and reliabilty of a revolver just wanted to add that because I prefer revolvers but also have semi's as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

I wouldn't say I'm high on the Taurus models. They are probably the best in the price range you are ready to spend. Some of their models are good for small hands, but may are very bulky in the grip area.

Would you recommend them over, say, a used sig p9?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Sig is one of the best semi-auto handguns period.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensdoexist

Sounds to me like you already had your mind made up so why bother asking people for their advice??

You can find a plethera of lightly used .45's at gun shops, pawn shops. Last time I went to Gander Mountain they had 8 used .45 used guns for sale under $400 lowest price was $300 don't know what your budget is but if its anything less than that I wouldn't trust shooting it. And no semi-auto will ever come close to the simplicity and reliabilty of a revolver just wanted to add that because I prefer revolvers but also have semi's as well.

1)I certainly dont have my mind made up, but I have narrowed down what I was looking at(which is why I asked people ONLY about 9mm vs. .380). I asked advice about those specific 2, and while I appreciate other input, things like .45's simply arent possible for me right now(aside from the price, as I said earlier, I had a recent hand surgery and simply do not have the strength yet to carry a bigger weapon)

2)I will not just buy any gun. I want quality. I could go find a piece of junk for $150. Thats not what I want. I want a quality, reliable firearm. Which is why I am asking advice from those with experience.

3)I do know what you are saying about revolvers. They simply arent the logical choice for what I want.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If you want to have some fun check out the 7.62x25 Tok , It's a rocket...lol
I've been shopping for a good CZ-52 after shooting a friends , I had never heard of it and he told me It was something I should know about because it would poke holes in my vest. I called BS!!! , He bet me $100 it would , me looking at the funny little rounds figured it would be an easy $100. I went into the garage and grabbed my old vest , It was a level IIIa (without the insert that I had given to a friend) and worn 8 hours a day for 4 years. We drove out to our local bullettrap. I set it up went to the line and put 4 rounds into it. The rounds went clean through my old vest at 10 yards. I was shocked , (and out $100) I went home and did all the research I could and was surprised at the history of the round and the guns. Pick one up for fun , they are cheap and the ammo is too. It's also C&R eligible , so you can get it sent straight to your door. No paying transfer fees. (Provided you have a cruffler)

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

Agreed. I have pretty big hands, thus the weapon feels good to me. However, my wife hasn't had any complaints about hers. She just likes the .380 for concealed carry when she works late at the office.
I guess it all boils down to the individual. Different strokes for different folks

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

A WWII vet told me during the war he picked up a German Luger 9mm pistol and fired it a a helmet. He did the same with his 45 pistol.

One went through both sides of the helmet.
The other made a dent in it.

Which do you think was better?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join