It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9mm vs .380

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
What do people prefer? I have been leaning toward 9mm, but I recently checked out a walther pk380, and I just LOVE this gun. But I am unfamiliar with .380 ammo.

What are the advantages of .380? Disadvantages? Is it more or less expensive than 9mm? How available is it?

Any help would be great.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well, between 9mm and .380, I would probably lean toward a .380. Not because a .380 has better balistics, but because usually the guns are smaller and more concealable. My ideal concealment gun would be neither of the calibers. It would be a Commander sized 1911 in .40 or .45.

As for the question of availability, neither calibers are readily available. Because 9mm is a military round, most is bought up by the military. Because of this, many people bought .380s and the availability of that has plumetted to occaisional sightings at Walmart, but very rare. If you buy it at a gun store, the old "Supply and Demand" theory is in effect there and it will be high priced.

I'm not sure I really answered your real question, but it was some information for you to consider.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

Appreciate the info!

I'm assuming 9mm has a bit more stopping power than .380?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Yes. The ballistic performance of 9mm is superior to the .380. However if you can shoot a gun the way everyone should be able to shoot before the carry it, a .380 is more than effective. I just happen to be very anti-9mm.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I was gonna throw in my -0.02 cents, but thought this Link would be of more assistance.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
^^^ what he said ^^^

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It all depends on what you're doing. Home defense, conceal or target shooting.

I'm usually a fan of the bigger rounds a .45 being the biggest pistol round I like, and a 5.7x28 as the smallest pistol round I like which is actually a smg round.

380s are excellent for personal defense in the area of conceal carry, and plinking at targets. These rounds can come in HP and FMJ.

9mm are have a few more options. Depending on your build you can also conceal carry some of these easily, such as the XD. If your using this for the service this round comes in Hp, FMJ and AP.

Depending on the build of your home and community the .380 will not penetrate through as much and be more safe for your neighbors.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

Yes. The ballistic performance of 9mm is superior to the .380. However if you can shoot a gun the way everyone should be able to shoot before the carry it, a .380 is more than effective. I just happen to be very anti-9mm.

can I ask why you are anti-9mm? I have heard a few people with this stance, and was curious what about it people dont like.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I was given a S&W Sigma 9VE (9mm) and fires perfectly. My friend has a Hi-Point 9mm (contrary to myths) the Hi-Point fires fantastic for a cheap model.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by oppaperclip

I agree with much of what you said. However, for home defence, I prefer an 18 inch barelled 12 ga. pump shotgun with 00 buck. Accuracy with a pistol would be adversely affected if woken up at 3 a.m. and with the added adrenaline during a home invasion.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

I was gonna throw in my -0.02 cents, but thought this Link would be of more assistance.

Very informative! That actually cleared up a lot of questions I had about them.

I do understand that even a .22lr can put someone or something down if you know what you are doing, and I intend to practice to the point that it wont matter what size I actually carry.

This first weapon will actually end up being my backup when all is said and done(i made another thread explaining this a while ago, but felt like I should tell people a bit more info since I am asking for advice).

It isnt for home defense, as nothing beats my 12guage in that dept.

I simply want a quality gun, at an affordable price, that I am able to find enough ammo to stock up a bit.

Recoil is a slight concern, as I recently had hand surgery and dont have much strength yet(although, long term, it should be much of an issue).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

can I ask why you are anti-9mm? I have heard a few people with this stance, and was curious what about it people dont like.

Well, my personal experience is that a balance between projectile weight and velocity provides a better chance for one-shot stops. This is provided by the most basic .45 JHP. The 9mm is fast and furious, many times allowing for a shoot-through, and not inflicting sufficient injury to stop a crazed individual. I also don't shoot high capacity pistols. The only advantage to having a 9mm is the availability of high capacity pistols.

My theory is if I need more than 7 rounds to defend myself, I need to be getting out of Dodge, not throwing more lead.

[edit on 3/11/2010 by RealityisanIllusion]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
That makes perfect sense. I would love to go .45, but I simply do not have it in my budget at the moment, and I want to get a handgun sooner than later.

Down the road, I will certainly look at them for my primary piece.

I do get what you are saying about not needing high capacity, and I have long thought that, while having 15 rounds in one mag would be nice, if you find yoruself in the situation where you would need that many shots, you better have extra mags on you anyway(and a good escape plan)

[edit on 11-3-2010 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a85282d8c3bd.jpg[/atsimg]
Gelatin Calibration: 10.2cm @ 622 fps table 2 Gelatin Calibration: 9.3cm @ 602 fpx
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0c9865df9202.jpg[/atsimg]

What these means is
thanks to modern technology and big advances from arms companies
you can expect decent performance out of both calibers

However you'll have a lot less trouble finding rounds for your 9mm

Personally I've gone to .40 S&W no other round is as capable of transferring its kinetic energy to the target giving you top tier knockdown power

[edit on 11-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thats really interesting, thank you for posting that!

Are .380 rounds that much more rare than 9mm?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Before going with the .380 I would take a look around for ammo. It is in high demand and very short supply. The current prices on .380 ammo are fluctuating so much that I have benched mine until the prices and supply stabilize a little bit.

The 9mm is a good round to go with. The .380 is just a short 9mm, and 9mm ammo is not in that short of supply right now. Just my .02, but I wouldn't want to own another gun that I couldn't feed.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Look for yourself
380 ammo

9mm Ammo

not only is 9mm in stock there is a greater mix of what you can get

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Look for yourself
380 ammo

9mm Ammo

not only is 9mm in stock there is a greater mix of what you can get

Any suggestions as far as 9mm's in the $300-400 range that are of good quality?

Ultimately, what I want is a Walther p99(which may be why I am so drawn to the pk380), but at the moment cant drop 800 bucks.

I have looked at Ruger, Kel-tec, Bersa, and taurus(they seem to be the most highly rated in that price range) and was leaning toward a ruger p95 until I tried the pk380...unfortunatley I am just not 100% sold on the quality I will get, in a 9mm, in that price range.

Any advice as far as that goes? Even though I am on a budget, I demand quality(i would prefer to buy a great used gun over a bad new one).

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

9mm and 380 are hard to get, especially last year. 9mm is in heavy use in the military, and LEOs use it as well.

380s are excellent guns for women and beginners because of the compact size, and lack of significant kick.

Due to the threat of gun legislation last year many people began to buy up many types of guns, and the smaller calibers got very popular. At least were I live the lack of supply has gotten better, but I don't want to speak for everyone.

Personally I use an AK47 for home defense, and have at least one of my pistols ready for back up.

I have been getting strange phone calls from a Sam Gordon also so yes I do have an escape plan as well.

Street sweepers are definitely good and I have two. One of which is in a bug out bag with lots of extra ammo, and it has an extended magazine.

Guns are a very personal decision, but I think you are on the right track getting the opinion of other people.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wife bought a .380 about a year ago. Finding ammo for it has been a real problem. We both have 9mm and well over 2000 rounds back up. If you can't find the the ammo, then the gun ain't worth a damn. (I can get 9mm 115 gr. for $13.00 to $15.00/per 50 round box.)
Whenever she or I have a little extra cash we pick up a couple of extra boxes.
Also have the 12 ga. for those middle of the night noises.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join