It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychology, Philosophy & Metaphysics Research & Resources Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thank you guys for bringing this thread back to the attention ATS! I think this calls for some more reference material! After a few updates after I first created this thread, It failed to get any interest and kept falling off the board.

This is my favourite board on ATS, and I think some of the best content on the site as been spawned from it. I think people get bored of the same old Alternative News Stories, they need something deeper and are looking to understand something. All of your links and references will mean something to different people and the more you share, the more we as a whole gain.

I will contribute some more material once I have prepared it!

Take Care All.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Star and Flag! This is amazing! This forum is my favorite forum and you putting all this together made it alot easier for research purposes, that much of took a long time! Thankk you!!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Loopdaloop

I really don't know what to say to that loopdaloop, only I find it a tad offensive that you generalise everything else that you do not agree with in that way. I believe as I am sure many others do that there is a link between all of these movements, if you look at them all individually you can see that they all have the same common goal, seeking truth and understanding and reaching a higher level of existance.

I am also a slightly dissapointed that you didn't contribute and resources to the thread, in fact I fail to see how your post contributed anything at all. If you want to discuss it, post some sources and do so, but please don't fill the thread with mindless drivel.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just a quick 'bump' to say that I am putting together a list of meaphysics videos which I can embed into this video. I want to cover all the generic topics first and if people like them, I will post some more invloved ones.

For now though I would like to share this with you:

SPIRITube

It is a 'tube' site with loads of metaphysics and consciousness videos on, and im sure you will all find something useful there, well woth a look in. I have started a thread for this website in particular to discuss different videos featured on it, as there is no embed feature!

Hope this is a benefit to hte reource thread

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
For those of you who are interested to learn about REAL sacred geometry, not commercially orientated, New Age psychobabble, why not spend the six months getting to grip with rigorous, amazing new research at
smphillips.8m.com...
You will discover there the real power and meaning of the Pythagorean tetractys, the mathematical generalisation and meaning of Plato's "lambda", and its connection to sacred geometry, the connection between superstring theory and the sacred geometries of some of the world's religions, the geometrical basis of the seven diatonic musical scales and their relation to octonions, the Tree of Life basis of the human skeleton, and many other things, including the polyhedral counterpart of the Tree of Life (Otz Chiim), revealed there for the first time.....

You will also discover there irrefutable evidence for the existence of a form of remote viewing of the subatomic world, about which the webmaster/researcher, a theoretical physicist, is regarded as the leading authority in the world.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Thank you very much for this! There seems like a hell of a lot of good information there, thanks for contributing.

For anyone interested the above site is very well laid out, with tons of pdfs to download and plenty of slides.

Well worth looking at for anyone interested in these topics!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Another similar type of site I have found after using different search engines:

Metaphysics Videos

The Internet's Home for Metaphysics Videos...Expand Your Mind, Change Your Life

There are literally hundreds of videos and audios on this site guys, hope these get your attention. The more sites we can find and share like this the better!

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtraeme...While it seems you have a bend towards esoterica. I think it's worth mentioning certain key Western philosophers as well:

1. Edmund Husserl
  2. Søren Kierkegaard
  3. Friedrich Nietzsche
  4. Martin Heidegger
  5. Jean-Paul Sartre

I agree with Xtraeme that those are some fine philosophers. I especially like Kierkegaard. As a student of philosophy from an entirely different philosophical tradition, I would like to list some of my favorites as well.

These are not listed in order of favoratism, but more in order of when they lived. Locke is perhaps my very favorite philosopher ever, though.
You may also note that many of these philosophers would disagree with one another on various important issues. Some of them I may like just for their style, but for most of them, there is some view they defended which I like.

1. Socrates
  2. Peter Abelard
  3. John Locke
  4. John Stuart Mill
  5. Johann Gottlieb Fichte
  6. G.E. Moore
  7. Bertrand Russell
  8. William James
  9. W.V.O. Quine
  10. Otto Neurath
  11. Rudolf Carnap
  12. John Rawls
  13. Robert Nozick
  14. Richard Rorty
  15. Alvin Plantinga

I keep wanting to add more! Must... stop... now....

[edit on 19-8-2010 by FrostyPhilosopher]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostyPhilosopher
  1. Bertrand Russell
I keep wanting to add more! Must... stop... now....

I up your "Bertrand Russell" and raise you a Karl Popper!
I tend to prefer philosophy of science over the humanities; so it made me happy seeing Russell on your list.

In line with this bias, let me add some of the best,
  1. Galileo Galilei
  2. René Descartes
  3. Francis Bacon (ahem) (already mentioned in 1st post!), instead I'll substitute in John D. Barrow, Frank Tipler, Clifford Pickover, and Max Tegmark as replacements...
  4. Kurt Gödel
  5. Georg Cantor
  6. David Hume
  7. Henri Poincaré
  8. Carl Gustav Hempel
  9. Hilary Putnam
  10. Roger Penrose

For a much more exhaustive list, see this lovely Wikipedia page.

Also to help people along in grasping the rich history of philosophy, I highly recommend Glyn Hughes' website. It gives a compact overview of thousands of years of philosophical thought in several hours of reading, which is pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

[edit on 20-8-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
A resource for Carl Jung.

An excellent podcast "course" on Jungian psychology from John Betts, a Zurich-trained practicing analyst:

www.jungian.ca...

There are missing sequence numbers because some individual episodes were withdrawn for audio difficulties. The sort order of the listing is also a little strange. But this is as good as "open courseware" offered by some universities.

On another note, I saw that the OP listed the Unexplained Mysteries site. Once upon a time, I was a mod there, and am still active. Some topics at UM are like here, but UM is not so much "conspiracy" oriented. I see several people post both here and there.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

Thanks eightbits for your contribution. I know from my Carl Jung Annogram thread that you are obviously a fan of him and know a bit about him.

If you can think of anything else to share please do. I want more info on Freud and Jung! They tackled issues like metaphysics and were great minds. We could all learn alot following a logical thought process like these philosphers do/did.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am overwhelmed by this thread, and have bookmarked it.

Thank you for all of this great information. I have a very new approach on Metaphysics, and will include a link to my book for anyone who is interested in a completely different take on how everything - including us - came into existence. I am still looking for qualified critiques and reviews, so if anyone has the letters after their name to make such a contribution, let me know and I'll get a copy to you free of charge in exchange for that critique.

Here's the link

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1287849259&sr=1-1

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be89e954234f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
the reason u can't feel it is b/c feelings are impermanent
knowledge through logic is higher than feelings
that's just how it is
all you can feel is the fact that u can feel (consciousness)

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

NorEaster,

I love it when I am reminded that it is not just me who likes to question things such as reality and the meaning of existance. I don't get much time to discuss such things with people, the urge to watch reality television is too strong with most.

I only wish I could read your book! Though I'm sure it is worth it, I simply cannot afford to buy it and ship it over to England (and can't find the option to on Amazon.com).

It also pleases me that every now and then someone finds and posts on this thread, it inspires me to think and share more.

One person I would love to see make comment here is Scrodingersdog, he has a great blog and I am sure he would have many ideas on such things.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
reply to post by NorEaster

NorEaster,

I love it when I am reminded that it is not just me who likes to question things such as reality and the meaning of existance. I don't get much time to discuss such things with people, the urge to watch reality television is too strong with most.

I only wish I could read your book! Though I'm sure it is worth it, I simply cannot afford to buy it and ship it over to England (and can't find the option to on Amazon.com).

It also pleases me that every now and then someone finds and posts on this thread, it inspires me to think and share more.

One person I would love to see make comment here is Scrodingersdog, he has a great blog and I am sure he would have many ideas on such things.

Thanks for the positive response. I found this page on Amazon concerning shipping to Europe (I would imagine this catagory includes Great Britain)

www.amazon.com...=hp_navbox_596184_ways?nodeId=596194

Looks like only a few bucks for shipping. I think they put us down for e-book as well, but I don't know why I have yet to see the choice listed. I'm not very good at this business thing, so I'm probabl;y missing something somewhere. Anyway, thanks for the notice and the heads up about the other guy's blog. I'm always interested in fresh thoughts.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
S&F for the effort and some great links. Thanks for the thread!

RC

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
A video I have watched many times and thoroughly enjoy. If you visit the two link I have posted, JUJU and SPIRITube, you will find many more to your liking

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thanks for helping bring some light into this dark world, carlitomoore.

Here’s a source of power, which I use each night to ground me and recharge my spiritual core of light.

L/L Research Transcripts ( www.llresearch.org... )

As an example of an interesting transcript, try checking this particular one out. It’s on the concept of “synchronicity.”

www.llresearch.org...

“Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.” -- Yoda
edit on 3-11-2010 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join