It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does a Salad Cost More Than a Big-Mac?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

"This Is why youre fat, America"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/745c4da4966f.jpg[/atsimg]

This is an image put together by The Physicians Commitee for Responsible Medicine.

Shocking huh?

"You mean to say, that the government doesnt support nutitional health?"

Lets make up a little pretend world in our heads. Work with me on this:

Imagine a world, where the American government is fair, and just. Money does not equal success. People in power are there because they care not only about themselves and their position, but about our country as a whole. Everyone is healthy, because seeing a doctor is inexpensive and the government supports healthy nutritious foods....

Ok. Snap out of it. Thats almost impossible to imagine. We are lied to everyday. Rights are taken away. The Constitution is broken.

And our health, as a nation? Well.......... it sucks.

Thanks to lobbying, Congress chooses to subsidize foods that we’re supposed to eat less of.

Of course, there are surely other reasons why burgers are cheaper than salads. These might include production costs, since harvesting apples is probably more naturally seasonal than slaughtering cows (even though both are in demand year-round). Transportation and storage costs might also play a role, as it’s probably easier to keep ground beef fresh and edible for extended periods of time, by freezing it, than cucumbers.

Im sure youve been to the grocery store before. Im sure youve paid for food.

But have you noticed, just how expensive it is if you want to eat healthy?
Maybe you tried a diet, or maybe you want to lower your cholesterol...whatever the reason, have you noticed how much the "good for you" stuff costs?

Double Cheeseburger= $1

17 oz of organic no sugar added Peanut Butter: $5

Loaf of Store Brand "White" bread: $1

Loaf of Multi-Grain wheat bread: $2.50

2 liter of Soda: $2

1 liter 100% Natural Juice $3.50

Those are just some that I have noticed in the store, and may not reflect prices in your region. Most stores, have a dedicated "organic" section now. Im sure if you check, you will find that these products are WAY more expensive than the norm.

So...basically....if you dont want to put CRUD in your body..it's gonna cost ya!

David Leonhardt, who put together the chart on food pricing says:

The price of oranges, to take one extreme example (not shown in the chart), has more than doubled, relative to everything else. So if in 1978, a bag of oranges cost the same as one big bottle of soda, today that bag costs the same as three big bottles of soda.

Source

American adults have been rising steadily, from 19.4% in 1997, 24.5% in 2004[3] to 26.6% in 2007.[4] Should current trends continue,
75% of adults in the United States are projected to be overweight-and 41% obese by 2015.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0ec9a53b7df.gif[/atsimg]

What do you think ATS?

Does the Government subsidize the wrong foods?

Do they do it on purpose, as a means for control?

Do they do it because it's profitable?

Is America too fat?

Does the average American care?

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Just a coincidence. Correlation doesn't equal causation. It would take too many people to be involved in such a ridiculous conspiracy. Move along.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Of course, no conspiracy here to keep the people fat, unhealthy, stupid and dependent on pharmaceuticals to keep them 'regular', breathing, hearts pumping, happy, and stupid enough to keep spending money on worthless crap.

Learn to eat, people. Stay away from mcd's. Worthless food from suffering animals is not good for any body.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The salad costs more because it is a forced supply upon a weak demand in the fast-food market.

That is why a salad at a restaurant (not fast-food) is generally cheaper than a hamburger.

What you are actually looking at is the effect of State sponsored vilification of an industry to force market change when the demand isn't warranted.

EDIT TO ADD: I do believe there is a conspiracy but not the one you perpetuate. Its a conspiracy to control, dictate and run all aspects of the private markets and/or persons.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archon_Adept
Just a coincidence. Correlation doesn't equal causation. It would take too many people to be involved in such a ridiculous conspiracy. Move along.

If you think it's coincidence , AA, then you might want to think again.
That graph is pretty clear. This is truly indicative of a real conspiracy.
If you don't believe it then take 5 minutes and 22 seconds of your life to listen to Dr Gary Null listing the EXACT figures involved in the markup of prescription drugs.
The Food and Medicine industries in the USA are corrupt.

OP, nice thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Because they want you to eat garbage so that you buy cheap food full of fat so you die early.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is why, sir.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well, at least one person caught the idea that:

The food makes you ill.

You need medical attention.

The government is in bed with pharm companies.

Paharms have side effects, countered with more pharms.

Everyone profits, except you.

You die, poor.

and I thought you were a smart bunch.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

WHOOSH!

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero

and I thought you were a smart bunch.

Diet also affects intelligence.

People ignore the stats and say "just eat better," when many can't afford to.
And nutritionally poor food is unsatisfying, leading to people wanting larger servings and getting fat.

Ten years ago making a big pot of vegetable stew for my family cost $5.
Now it costs $30 for the same ingredients.

While we have that 4 nights a week, (and we all love it,) we stay healthy.
Leave that out and we have less energy, get colds more often and put on weight.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

I started eating healthier about three years ago. I used to get sick two or three times a year. Now, I might get sick once. This past year, not at all.

It makes a big difference, definitely.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
probably because the salad uses real vegetables where as the big mac is made from "meat" which is mostly soy and sawdust filler.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Archon_Adept
reply to post by dragonsmusic

WHOOSH!

Yes, whoosh indeed. It's the sound that is made while all the concepts in this thread go over your head

top topics

join